Dirt Road (Eddie) Seat Mod

thach1130

Dirt Road (Eddie) does not disappoint. The seats looks awesome and uber comfortable. Only gripe i have is that even though he reduced the slope of the passenger seat it is still sloping a little. If only he didn't beef up the rear end of the passenger seat it would have been perfect.

For those who is on the edge about the mod, I'd say go for it. Your crotch will thank you for it.

cambo

Avid Rider
looks awesome dude

hey what is that piece you've got attached around the pillion seat? is it some sort of passenger grab handle/luggage rack thing?

thach1130

It is the yamaha top case rack. It is also an integrated grab handle. Gives me a nice place to put the helmet lock and cable. Don't have to carry the helmet with me, just loop the cable through the helmet and lock it.

It is also a godsend when you drop your bike and need a place to grab onto to lift the bike.

Last edited:

Keach

Got any more pics

Hey thach, do you have any more pictures of seat on your bike?

I'm probably going to have Dirt Road make me a seat and I am torn between the carbon cover and the one you have. Currently I'm leaning towards the one you have, but carbon just sounds so sexy lol. I'm also debating if I'm going to have him do my rear seat or not. My wife barely road on the back of my YZF600r and that seat was huge. When I asked her if she was going to ride on the FZ8 she made it seem like she was going to. I should probably just shell out the extra cash and have him do both.

thach1130

Hey thach, do you have any more pictures of seat on your bike?

I'm probably going to have Dirt Road make me a seat and I am torn between the carbon cover and the one you have. Currently I'm leaning towards the one you have, but carbon just sounds so sexy lol. I'm also debating if I'm going to have him do my rear seat or not. My wife barely road on the back of my YZF600r and that seat was huge. When I asked her if she was going to ride on the FZ8 she made it seem like she was going to. I should probably just shell out the extra cash and have him do both.

Bike is currently covered up for winter. Yes on the rear seat. Will be weird if they don't match. Make sure to tell him to keep the rear of the passenger seat thin. He thicken the front of the passenger sear on mine to reduce the forward slope but he had also add some cushion to the rear part so the seat still slope a little. Polaris vinyl is the way to go imho. Carbon fiber look is over rated. Our bike have no carbon fiber parts anywhere so why add the obligatory fake carbon look to it.

Any particular angle on the seat you want a picture of? I can take a picture for you. Cambo can vouch for how comfortable it is.

B
When you take the rear seats off remove the metal hardware to save space on shipping.

Keach

I figured they might look weird...just a cheap thought on my end lol. My wife claims she will ride on the back so I'll probably have him make the rear seat a bit more comfortable too. Maybe I can swing this as a Valentine's Day present for my wife...haha fat chance of that. I'm also concerned that the rear seat will look too fluffy so I will heed your advice and ask him to keep that in mind. That's why I was wondering if you could take a couple more pictures. More of a side profile to show the thickness of the seat. Did you have him add the comfort mod to the rear seat? Or did he just add the foam to make it aesthetically pleasing? Now as for the carbon fiber..speak for yourself my friend. I have a real carbon fiber tank pad lol! No the more I look at it I completely agree with you and Dirt Road for that matter...Polaris looks better, Polaris it will be.

When you shipped the seat, who did you use? Do you remember about what it cost you?

Bike is currently covered up for winter. Yes on the rear seat. Will be weird if they don't match. Make sure to tell him to keep the rear of the passenger seat thin. He thicken the front of the passenger sear on mine to reduce the forward slope but he had also add some cushion to the rear part so the seat still slope a little. Polaris vinyl is the way to go imho. Carbon fiber look is over rated. Our bike have no carbon fiber parts anywhere so why add the obligatory fake carbon look to it.

Any particular angle on the seat you want a picture of? I can take a picture for you. Cambo can vouch for how comfortable it is.

B
When you take the rear seats off remove the metal hardware to save space on shipping.

What's the contact info for Dirt Road Eddie...i'd love to get my seat more comfortable...

Keach

What's the contact info for Dirt Road Eddie...i'd love to get my seat more comfortable...

[email protected] is his email. He's been great at responding to questions I've had for him. I'll be sending in my seats soon. I've heard nothing but good things about his work. The following is a link on the fz1 forum which shows some of his work..you might need to sign up for an account to see the pictures.

MORE SEATS - FZ1OA Message Board

thach1130

That's why I was wondering if you could take a couple more pictures. More of a side profile to show the thickness of the seat. Did you have him add the comfort mod to the rear seat? Or did he just add the foam to make it aesthetically pleasing?
When you shipped the seat, who did you use? Do you remember about what it cost you?

I don't remember exact shipping. I was lazy and didn't want to pack it myself that day. Dropped it off at the UPS store and have them pack and send it for me. I think it cost about 20 bucks maybe a little more.

Here's some more picture of the seats at different angle. The front seat had more cushion in the front to reduce the angle, your crotch is no longer wedge into the gap between the seats and the tank. Definitely cushier and takes a lot longer to go numb on long rides. Foam mods was performed on both front and rear. Never had seats done and do not know how much he'll add so the rear of the passenger seat was added a little much but still a great difference from stock. The passenger do not slide forward when you brake. The last picture shows the angle of the rear seats. I'm holding the camera horizontal. One thing i have to mention is the angle is NOT still that bad on the rear. I have the bike on centerstand and the rear kicks up a little so the angle still look steep but not quite so, but still in my opinion the rear of the passenger seat could use a little less cushion. Pillion don't sit that far back anyway.

I believe no piping (plastic edging where the seams are) was needed less crud stuck in the crevice, but some people like the piping. I think rabbitman had piping added. He also does custom embroidering so have fun.

Keach

I think I'm going with the same options you have. I don't care much for the piping either. Thanks a bunch for the additional pictures! I'm not sure why I asked what it cost to ship...that's kinda dictated by where u ship it from lol.

Keach

Got my seat

Got the dirt road eddie seat back yesterday. Only thing I don't love is what you mentioned thach...rear seat is a bit too big. Although I've convinced my wife to ride more now since I paid for rear seat foam mod, and in my opinion it reduced the looks of the back end a tiny bit. I can't comment on how much of a comfort improvement the seat will be as I won't be getting any seat time for probably another month. However it is very clear there is a lot more foam in the seat (I probably sit two inches higher now). I guess that is something to keep in mind for anyone vertically challenged thinking about this mod (although I'm sure Eddie could add a bit less foam to keep your feet on the ground. My tank pad is actually a little buried behind the seat now. Eddie was a pleasure to communicate with and his customer service is unreal. Craftsmanship of the seat appears to be top noch.

thach1130

You'd think you sit higher but the foamnis soft enough that getting on you sink in a bit and be in a similar level like before. Can't wait to get some riding

Keach

You'd think you sit higher but the foamnis soft enough that getting on you sink in a bit and be in a similar level like before. Can't wait to get some riding

Idk when I was sitting on it I felt noticeable a couple inches higher, but maybe some of it is in my head. Either way it doesn't bother me. I'm about 6ft so flat footing isn't a problem. I can't wait to get in some riding too. I still don't even know what my exhaust sounds like while riding, and now I don't know how comfortable this seat is yet!

tiki

I was going to have the spenser seat mod done, I wonder how the two compare. Has anyone had one done from both guys?

Keach

I was going to have the spenser seat mod done, I wonder how the two compare. Has anyone had one done from both guys?

I have no experience wih the spencer mod, but from what I read on other forums people felt the dirt road seat mod was superior. Again just what I was reading, not personal experience. What I can say is I got a tiny bit of seat time yesterday and the seat felt awesome. Eddies customer service is second to none of that I'm sure.

tiki

Decided to get my seat done with Eddie also. I'll post some pics if anyone wants to see them when I get it back next week!