Dirt biking good idea?

aj700

Is it good idea to do some dirt biking to improve our general skills? We dont have a lot of tracks/ trackdays in this part, like most of you write here. During summer I drive with a colleague of mine on country sides. he is too good. Has been driving from around the time when i was learning to walk. He told me it takes quite some time if you drive just under normal situations. So then I was looking into some dirt bike clubs to know if i can get some practise there to improve in general skills.
Beyond every thing i will have to convince my wife that its not very high risky thing and in the end we may have buy a dirt bike. :) she helped to buy the fz8 already this summer.
what do you guys think? Is it worth spending ?

/Aj

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk 2

H

Hoover

Just as kart/rally/dirt-track drivers make better race car drivers, I would imagine the same holds true in dirt bikes.
Not ridden them much, but I bet you learn some skills not normally learned on street bikes.

aj700

Thnx.
I asked abt safety aspect becoz heard this from colleagues and friends couple of times so far - you biking is good, because we need organ donors! Wtf?? :mad: :banghead: You can say in this part some are too paranoid abt safety.
I will try it defenitily, before i make any purchase. Only thing is the clubbs are not organizing any formal training for grownups, rather helping with suggestions but i have to bring own bike.

AlCab

I think that any riding will help, whether it's on a dirt bike or even a mountain bike or road bike. The mechanics are the same. I have done some dirt biking and do a lot of mountain biking and I think the skills translate to riding on the street.

RnR

I think there is a lot to be learned in the dirt. Motocross can be a little intense. Single track is a riot and there are generally lots of groups organized around Enduro style and hare scramble type riding.

krillz

Hell yeah it helps. Dirt bike riding is more fun then street bike riding anyway. Dirt bikes are my first love. No speed limit and trees dont pull out in front of you.

mckshred

Dirt Riding Not the same technique as Street Riding

I think that any riding will help, whether it's on a dirt bike or even a mountain bike or road bike. The mechanics are the same. I have done some dirt biking and do a lot of mountain biking and I think the skills translate to riding on the street.

I'm not sure I agree with this - Riding a mountain bike, which I've been doing for 24 years is not like Street Motorbike Riding. The basic concepts are different.

You ride a mountain bike using what is referred to as a 'crossed-up style' (similar to dirt bikes) where the bike leans more than the rider when cornering.

You ride a Street Bike where the rider is more leaned into the turn, thus keeping the bike centerline as upright as possible.

Not trying to create any arguments or get an earful here. Just more input for clarification.

V

Vapordan

I had a dirt course this year. I am making it a yearly requirement from now on, that's how impressed I was. And I'm a legend on the street.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlCab

I'm not sure I agree with this - Riding a mountain bike, which I've been doing for 24 years is not like Street Motorbike Riding. The basic concepts are different.

You ride a mountain bike using what is referred to as a 'crossed-up style' (similar to dirt bikes) where the bike leans more than the rider when cornering.

You ride a Street Bike where the rider is more leaned into the turn, thus keeping the bike centerline as upright as possible.

Not trying to create any arguments or get an earful here. Just more input for clarification.

Agreed, not everything in mountain biking translates to street biking. I guess I mean more in a general sense with regards to balance, braking, countersteering, etc. Kind of like snowboarding, skateboarding, wakeboarding, and windsurfing kind of all tie in together. Each has it's preculiarities but they are all similar in a way. If you are good at one, you will catch on pretty quickly on the others.

H

Hoover

I had a dirt course this year. I am making it a yearly requirement from now on, that's how impressed I was. And I a legend on the street.

Yes you are my friend, but not the way you think you are :slap:

decooney

aj700,

Dirt is my first passion and I've ridden dirt since i was 6 years old and raced motocross seriously in my younger years and teens. I'm In my high 40s now and still ride dirt but its rare any more for me. In my older years, dirt fun to me now is fast paced technical single track with lots of turns, jumps, and grade changes in the mountains. Some skill and learning translates over, but I can honestly say that I can't ride my street bike anywhere close to the level of my dirt skills. I wish I could. Riding fast in and out of turns on street and powersliding is something I may never master on the road as well as I could with dirt. I just enjoy being on two wheels and the FZ8 definitely fills the void for me when I cannot go ride dirt. For safety, I tend to believe my dirt skills help me to react differently to street situations than if I had never ridden dirt at all. I'm not sure that it helps to relay any of this, but I recommend to all of my friends who are (new and nervous) thinking of riding street to go out and buy a dirt bike first or ride a mountain bike seriously, ride it for a year or so before moving to street motorcycles - especially those who ride near large cities or where there is lots of traffic. I DO think it really helps but the riding style is completely different. Some of the basic concepts and thinking do help you in some situations. Good luck.

Last edited:
D

DJK1505

Dirt riding is good just to get you used to two wheels, how wheelies are handled, some steering concepts are translated from dirt to street, etc. Big differences are your ridiing positions and braking, these two are drastically changed from dirt to street. All together any riding practice is a good idea.

DJ

aj700

thnx all for the comments.
looks like the dirt biking dream is on a 50/50 hold at the moment. all of the clubs I asked around for training programs said, they don't give rental bikes. Apparently thats not economical for them. So I will have to bring my own bike. Bummerrr...
I can understand that a bit. but this is the worst part - most of them have their tracks closed till April!!! :bs2: I hate winter, especially after the fz8 came in!!!
/Aj