Did the Lars air box mod

• Thread starter Deleted member 438
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 438

I found this Airbox modification. Now it can also breath. - FZ1OA Message Board air box mod on a FZ1 forum and I figured I'd go ahead and do it since we have the same air box. I felt more power under hard acceleration right away and the growl that the bike has now is amazing.

Pics of how I ended up chopping it:

SpunkyTheTuna

Did the same thing to mine this week end as well as the air injection blockoff plates. Sounds much better. I don't trust the butt-dyno at all, but it does for sure sound better.

D

DJK1505

Awesome, I put the K&N in a few weeks ago and was wondering about an air box mod. I mean everything has an air box mod! LOL Looks like I konw what I am doing tonight!!! Thanks for the post man!!!!

DJ

Speedo007

A video of before and after sound would be cool :) Why are those cheap mods so attractive....hehe

Last edited:

SpunkyTheTuna

Will a K & N filter still fit after this mod?

When you pull the air box you'll see the little shelf that the filter sits on. It's really obvious. All you have to do is to leave that shelf alone and you're golden. You can dremel off anything below that shelf.

Enjoy.

lothodon

Super Moderator
i just read through nearly all 17 pages of the original thread and i'll give you what i got out of the potential downfalls.

bike can't handle the extra air properly (doubtful imo)
extra water intake during heavy rains
need a less restrictive air filter to get any real gains
need a slip on to allow more air to pass the end
pc needed to take advantage

imo most of these are just part of a conversation and not real issues. i did the same type of mod on my buell and didn't notice any changes at all.

IN THEORY, more air intake and a proper map that can recognize more air will also mean more fuel usage....and therefore more hp. if the computer can recognize more air coming in and adjust the fuel properly there should be improvement.

hypo

very true. we did quite a few mods like this on our shadows, which are carburated (read HUGE PAIN IN THE ASS)... which meant we had to go with a stage 3 jet kit, and fiddle with that crap constantly (thank you for fuel injection and a power commander) and then we needed to change the pipe out so that the flow through was properly balanced. overall you get a lot more horse, a lot more get up and go and noise to boot...

but the MPG drops noticeably. I went from 35-40 on my shadow down to 30ish, and couldn't stop fiddling with my carbs because it never felt right.

lothodon

Super Moderator
the mpg drop should be an indication of improved hp should it not?

the higher hp a motor has the less mpg it's going to get, that's just an unfortunate side effect.

hypo

I totally agree, however some people don't notice that a dog took a honkin crap on their lawn because the grass is so beautiful and green and that white picket fence has a fresh coat of paint on it.

and then they step in the pile of crap and smear it across that nice green grass to get it off, and suddenly that pretty picture is ruined. ;)

D

DJK1505

Okay, only got about 15 miles on it after this mod before the rain. Def makes a noticeable sound change, IMO it makes it more raspy, sounds more like a jap bike in the higher rpms (no big deal for me). I can def feel a little HP difference, but am very excited for the power commander and auto tune. I should have these on next week or so and will update after.

DJ

RoMav

Lars mod

Did it. Love it. Make sure you have a long 4mm allen wrench available, otherwise it's a complete pain pulling the box with a standard allen wrench. The growl is very noticeable when you crack the throttle.
Only downside I can see would be riding in the rain you have a chance of getting water on the filter.

lothodon

Super Moderator
for those of you that have done this, did you PULL your tank or just prop it up? seems it's a pita to get at the back screws with the tank on for me....too freakin' tall.