Did-it-myself Fender Eliminator

b3nd3r

After buying two bikes within a month, the first traded in on the FZ8, the wife wouldn't let me spend a dime more on after-market parts. So, I decided to take that monstrous plastic fender into my own hands.

I started by buying to 4" angle brackets from lowe's. The brackets came pre-drilled, and amazingly enough, they lined up perfectly to the existing under-seat hardware.

I then cut the hanging portion to 2" to allow for the mounting of the license plate. I used the OEM license plate bracket from the original fender. I had to increase the size of the holes just a bit in order for the license plate studs to fit in the angle brackets.

I primed and painted the brackets using black metallic paint and rust-stop primer.

I mounted the turn signal to each side of the license plate bracket using very small angle brackets (also purchased at lowe's). For the plate light I bought a four LED light from superbrightled.com (turn signals purchased from lucky bike.com).

For the paint, brackets, and hardware I was under $20. If you include the lights total would be $45. Pictures are in my public album.

hsrob

Hmmm, going to try this tonight, thanks for the tips. Not feeling like paying $80+ for a kit when I can DIY for $20 and have fun with tools :p