Dealer experience

superg

Hi,

I want to share my experience with dealer service, but first some background info.
I recently relocated to US, and bought new FZ8 2012 here. It was very positive experience, got my bike in two days without any problems, so I was really excited. Ride a month, and it was a time to do first service. Obviously I went to same dealership, and asked for quotes. They said full service is $250-$300 :eek:. When I asked what's included, answer was like "oil and oil filter change, check other things, maybe tune something, it'll take 3 hours or so", it was so undefined, and come on: I am paying $40 full service for my Jeep Patriot, and this is a car! I refused, and asked quotes only for oil and oil filter change - it was $100, interestingly enough, I was told that it'll take same 3 hours. I agreed, I don't know why actually.
Prior to relocation I was riding FZ6, I was doing oil and oil filter changes myself - pretty straightforward process, I was also doing other easy maintenance like replacing spark plugs, installing accessories, etc.
Anyway, I gave them my keys, was waiting outside when some "mechanic" came to take my bike. Engine stalled 3! times, before he managed to ride bike to service room. I was already unhappy at that time, but listen what happened next.
Got my bike back in an hour, and I was riding home. Approximately after 2 miles I saw oil light on panel - emergency stop, checked oil level - it was under minimal level! I couldn't even imagine, thing like this could happen! That retarded boy, who was doing maintenance didn't even knew, that if you're changing oil filter, you need to either put oil inside filter prior to installation, or run the engine for several minutes first and add more oil afterwards. So as you can imagine I was really pissed off, returned to dealership, they've sent to me another mechanic, who was keep telling me "sorry, I wasn't around at that time" blablabla. They added more oil, and I was so mad I simply told them that it was my last time at their service and left. On one hand it was terrible, on the other - I am happy, that I didn't let them to mess with my precious bike more (I mean full service), lesson taught. I checked everything after them, if oil filter is tight, etc. I read on the net feedback to these guys, and saw only unsatisfied ones.
That said, I have couple of questions to you guys:
Is this happening often in US?
Should I share information on that retarded dealership service for anybody to know, where they shouldn't go?
To experienced FZ8 owners: I never had any problem with my FZ6, is that still a case with FZ8? Maybe I shouldn't bother with warranty and do everything myself? Actually what is needed to maintain my warranty, only dealership oil changes, or more?
To Michigan residents: I am in Troy area, can you recommend me some proven mechanic/service/etc.? I am not talking about oil/filters change, I am talking about more serious stuff like brake pads change/adjustments/etc? Are there any services, where I can see, what they're doing with my bike?

EDIT:
So dealership is K&W Cycle, beware!

Last edited:

e11charlie

Unfortunately every vehicle can have a bad one. The bike has been solid so far. Have had it since November. I would post up what stealership it was. I paid $180 for the same service. My experience was better but I will never have anything serviced at the stealership. With only a year warranty to me isn't worth it.

Harrywz

Hi,

I want to share my experience with dealer service, but first some background info.
I recently relocated to US, and bought new FZ8 2012 here. It was very positive experience, got my bike in two days without any problems, so I was really excited. Ride a month, and it was a time to do first service. Obviously I went to same dealership, and asked for quotes. They said full service is $250-$300 :eek:. When I asked what's included, answer was like "oil and oil filter change, check other things, maybe tune something, it'll take 3 hours or so", it was so undefined, and come on: I am paying $40 full service for my Jeep Patriot, and this is a car! I refused, and asked quotes only for oil and oil filter change - it was $100, interestingly enough, I was told that it'll take same 3 hours. I agreed, I don't know why actually.
Prior to relocation I was riding FZ6, I was doing oil and oil filter changes myself - pretty straightforward process, I was also doing other easy maintenance like replacing spark plugs, installing accessories, etc.
Anyway, I gave them my keys, was waiting outside when some "mechanic" came to take my bike. Engine stalled 3! times, before he managed to ride bike to service room. I was already unhappy at that time, but listen what happened next.
Got my bike back in an hour, and I was riding home. Approximately after 2 miles I saw oil light on panel - emergency stop, checked oil level - it was under minimal level! I couldn't even imagine, thing like this could happen! That retarded boy, who was doing maintenance didn't even knew, that if you're changing oil filter, you need to either put oil inside filter prior to installation, or run the engine for several minutes first and add more oil afterwards. So as you can imagine I was really pissed off, returned to dealership, they've sent to me another mechanic, who was keep telling me "sorry, I wasn't around at that time" blablabla. They added more oil, and I was so mad I simply told them that it was my last time at their service and left. On one hand it was terrible, on the other - I am happy, that I didn't let them to mess with my precious bike more (I mean full service), lesson taught. I checked everything after them, if oil filter is tight, etc. I read on the net feedback to these guys, and saw only unsatisfied ones.
Should I share information on that retarded dealership service for anybody to know, where they shouldn't go?
To experienced FZ8 owners: I never had any problem with my FZ6, is that still a case with FZ8? Maybe I shouldn't bother with warranty and do everything myself? Actually what is needed to maintain my warranty, only dealership oil changes, or more?
To Michigan residents: I am in Troy area, can you recommend me some proven mechanic/service/etc.? I am not talking about oil/filters change, I am talking about more serious stuff like brake pads change/adjustments/etc? Are there any services, where I can see, what they're doing with my bike?

I'm not familiar with the service policies in the US but here in Canada after I had taken the bike in for its initial 600 mile service, I would receive a Yamaha survey regarding the service. If you check off enough for poor service, dealer would hear from Yamaha.

Bajaedition

Sorry about the bad luck
My first service was 200
With no issues. Did they offer some way to make it up to you?

If not find another dealer. Do not blame the country for a bad dealer.

RoadKill

there are a lot of bad service departments out there. i have a few stories that would make anyone's blood boil. Find a good one and only use it for things that are out of your ability. for me, valve adjustments are out of my range. oil/spark plug changes i will do. i just synced the throttle bodies too.

superg

Did they offer some way to make it up to you?
Nope, but I didn't asked, I guess if I'd start asking to talk to their manager, they would propose me something, at least refund, but this mainly not about money, it's about messing with my bike.
Do not blame the country for a bad dealer.
I wouldn't relocate here, if it was bad country :), but I really was surprised this can happen here.

superg

I'm not familiar with the service policies in the US but here in Canada after I had taken the bike in for its initial 600 mile service, I would receive a Yamaha survey regarding the service. If you check off enough for poor service, dealer would hear from Yamaha.

Salesman told me, than I'll get Yamaha survey by mail, but the thing is I didn't selected full service, but just oil/oil filter change. They gave me paper "CUSTOMER REQUEST: oil and filter change", so I don't know whether I'll get survey. We will see, if I'll get that survey, sure I'll leave them feedback they deserve.

krillz

It cost me $60 to do a oil change myself. At $80 a hour it takes 30 minutes tops to change the oil. So add the $40 for the half hour on top of the $60 there's your $100. Ouch. What a rip off. Screw the dealer, I mean stealer

Harrywz

It cost me $60 to do a oil change myself. At $80 a hour it takes 30 minutes tops to change the oil. So add the $40 for the half hour on top of the $60 there's your $100. Ouch. What a rip off. Screw the dealer, I mean stealer

Problem is the dealers price labour via a "guide". Supposed to be "x" number of units for a oil change, "x" number of units for a brake job and the list goes on. This is done in the automobile industry as well. What happens is that a lot of mechanics get paid a base salary and commission. So faster mechanics make more pay. So one guy can do the job in 1/2 the time. This allows him to do more jobs in the day. The customer does not get a discount as they get charged according to the table listed.

9 Lives

They are supposed to check/sync the throttle bodies at the first service which is the main reason they charge you 3 hours labor. Not saying that they actually do it but its a part of the first service. Other than that, they change the oil and check a few things. Personally I don't think that syncing the throttle bodies are necessary this early unless the bike is not idling smooth.

thach1130

Cost me about $32. 35 if you include the roll of shop paper towel. PureOne Filter is about 5-7 dollars. 4 quarts of Shell Rotella synthetic costs $27, sometime with rebate they cost $11. So at the cheapest time i could be paying $19 for the oil change.

krillz

Cost me about $32. 35 if you include the roll of shop paper towel. PureOne Filter is about 5-7 dollars. 4 quarts of Shell Rotella synthetic costs $27, sometime with rebate they cost $11. So at the cheapest time i could be paying $19 for the oil change.

That's cool, use what you like. 4 qt of Mobile 1 4T is $45 a K&N filter is $15. I use Rotella in my Diesel.

reALIGNed

Hi,

EDIT:
So dealership is K&W Cycle, beware!

Tell these guys.........:rant:

Sport Contact Us

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA
6555 Katella Avenue
Cypress, CA 90630

Sales, marketing and distribution of Motorcycles, ATVs, Snowmobiles and Race Kart Engines.

Customer Relations
(800) 962-7926

For questions about your Yamaha Credit Account:

Yamaha Card Customer Relations
(800) 252-5265

Yamaha Installment Customer Relations
(877) 314-1507

Jafran

Not to offend anyone hopefully, but I avoid auto and motorcycle dealership service centers like the plague. It's guaranteed that they will charge you A LOT of money, but good service is definitely not guaranteed. Two or three service visits to dealerships for your cycle would pay for the shop manual and the tools to perform most of the work yourself, including a couple of torque wrenches. It's not that hard to properly wrench your own bike, at least for the basic maintenance like an oil change, and you'll know it's done right. Save your receipts for the oil, filter, etc., write a little record about what you did and when you did it, and you're set. I even snap a few photos of proper fluid levels and such after I'm done to include with the record and receipts.

I use independent mechanics for the more difficult maintenance. Ask neighbors or co-workers for recommendations. Or use the web and find someone who's been around for a while. They can't afford to give sub-standard service like a dealership can.

gerdawg

I paid about 160 pre-pay through my dealer for the 600 mile service. I was really hesitant to pay that on the bike but relented because of the throttle body syncing they would do. The thing I'm worried about is how the heck would I be able to tell if they even went in there to sync the throttle bodies or not.

At this point they could tell me anything and not do any of the work other than the oil change.

Is there anyway I can verify/confirm that the TB were in-deed sync'ed?

superg

Is there anyway I can verify/confirm that the TB were in-deed sync'ed?

Only if you know, how to do that manipulation yourself. But if you do, I don't see any reason to go to dealership :).

It would be great, if they'd fix your bike while you're watching them, but obviously they don't want that.