Cosmetic vs. Performance?

poppyseed779

Hello everyone. I was wandering what everyone's opinion was on the best mods, both performance and cosmetic. I love the 779 motor and couldn't be much happier with the performance of it already. I obviously swapped the stock slip on with a Danmoto XG-1 and replaced the stock filter with a KN filter. I have yet to find anything else performance wise that the bike needs, as far as tuners, headers, etc. I am looking into a fender eliminator, rear tire hugger fender, and possibly doing something with those giant mirrors. All my life I was a performance>cosmetic type of guy, but it doesn't seem like there are many necessary performance mods you need to do to this bike.

Anyone have any ideas as I plan on keeping this bike until it dies so I want to spend some money on mods

OdinSon

Replace/mod the throttle tube.
I modified mine but others have used R6 throttle tubes so instead of 1/4 turn wide open throttle its 1/5 or 1/6 turn.
I modified mine to the throttle would open up slower initially (like a G2 throttle tamer) but then open to wide open throttle sooner. I love it so far.

Bar end mirrors.

Replace the gigantic stock turn signals.

Wolf_Hook

If you don't mind a small hit in MPG's get a -1 tooth front sprocket. It makes the bike a rocketship from 6K RPM's instead of having to wait til 8K.

Satan666's R1 rear shock adapter is a must, you could also have your forks sprung for your weight and see about getting the sag set.

I also replaced the bars with some from Driven, they're flatter and straighter. Much better for hanging off the bike, the backwards sweep on the stock ones would touch my knee.

Other than those two things I would invest in track time :cheers:

As far as aesthetics are concerned, fender elim like you said, R6 flush front signals look great and removing the Yamaha badges really make a difference.

Last edited:

Keach

Performance wise flash the ecu. I had the Flash tune slip on ecu flash and it really makes the bike so much better. The r6 throttle tube is also a cheap mod that makes the bike noticeably better.

I have headers and am happy with them, but the flash will give u the most noticeable performance increase and is relatively cheap for the increase you get.

Cosmetically motodynamic taillight and a FE (make your own out of sheet metal and tin snips or buy on ebay) are a must along with led smaller front signals. Buy the tsi turn signal relay on amazon to keep the flash rate right and avoid having to splice resistors into the lines. I like the ebay mirrors I got that look like the rizoma tomahawks for 36 bucks and ebay shorty levers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OdinSon

A couple more easy ones that make a huge difference visually: CustomTaylor33 rim tape- can be found on Amazon. Also using very high temp paint to paint the exhaust headers.