Coring out the CAT

badgerbrraaap

Have any of you guys cored out the CAT (catalytic converter)? I've got a '11 fz8 and a buddy of mine is suggesting I do it. If so how long did it take and what was the difference afterwards?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

97audia4

Have any of you guys cored out the CAT (catalytic converter)? I've got a '11 fz8 and a buddy of mine is suggesting I do it. If so how long did it take and what was the difference afterwards?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

I have done it, but Im getting a tune. Its not much of a difference and it takes about an hour or so and it a pain in the ass plus you will.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
It's a borderline unless mod ....... You'll actually make your midrange power dip larger. Marthy had success tuning it out, but that's a whole nother can of worms for time and money.

Tix

I cored my cat last night.
It took a lot longer than an hour, due to me taking my sweet time.

Tone is noticeably deeper and I can't say I feel any power loss.
The test will be how the bike responds with the PCV installed. ;)

master paper clip

When I gutted mine it changed the tone more then anything, as for the dip it was less annoying but not drastically chaneed... certainly didn't feel like it made anything worse, but I do know the butt dyno isn't a credible source, especially when your smiling the whole time your testing your new mod

eru000

Does anyone have some insight on removing the cat to eliminate the possibility of clogging it when you remove the AIS system? Or is that not a problem?

popeye

Took my cat out used a broom handle and a big hammer to smash it after drilling what I could. Its a pain but long broom handle and some stud bar helps I got some pictures on my album's of the cat b4 and after.
Took mine out before a tune and before ais removal because I was told it was the best way to go!

Last edited:

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Does anyone have some insight on removing the cat to eliminate the possibility of clogging it when you remove the AIS system? Or is that not a problem?

There is room to remove the cat completely and to still save the header, you just need a link pipe custom made (40$) and a good welder (maybe another 40$) I had mine cut out so marthy could help me tune mine through the data logger and It worked well.

http://www.779cc.org/forum/attachme...78859710-2013-fz8-break-garage-mods-image-jpg

Now, to answer the other part of your question....... I think Doom or Marthy are probably your best bet at answering the AIS clogging question. But ive never heard of it doing that.

MotoZen

According to Don at Guhl's, most people don't ride their bikes hard enough or keep then long enough to have it happen. But, it will happen eventually. He advised me to leave the ais and a good tune can mostly eliminate the popping from an aftermarket can.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

Fazer 8

I must admit, I wouldn't mind being rid of the catalytic converted just to get rid of an incredible source of heat near a) my right foot, and b) right under the shock.

I think a well-designed cat-less full exhaust would probably be the best solution. I wouldn't mind a lighter exhaust and a little throatier sound, but only a little. It would also be nice if one could tune the 5k-6k rpm flat spot out. Problem is most aftermarket exhausts are tuned for top-end power - a pointless exercise on this bike, I think - if I'd wanted more top end I would have gotten an FZ1 or something else. I actually think the FZ8 powerband is just about perfect for the kind of riding I do, other than that flat spot from 5k to 6k.