Coffman's Exhaust: My experience

Suave96

Well I've had mine since Dec and I love it. You wrote that up 100 times better than I could. Love the exhaust!

Keach

So I am a fan of this exhaust but I did find a couple of issues that kind of bother me. I went on a 250 mile ride to Indy this past weekend. About a week before the trip I had taken the baffle out of the exhaust. Feeling it was a bit too loud especially for an upcoming long trip I put it back in a few days before I left for the trip. On my way home I realized the baffle had fallen out on the highway. I had used snap ring pliers to remove and replace the snap ring and am 100% confident it had been seated properly. I emailed the coffmans and got a phone call in minutes. I explained the situation and was offered a replacement baffle for $40 which I purchased and received in 2 days. This one had an additional washer that is suppose to hold the snap ring tighter in the grove. I'm a bit annoyed at the cost to replace the baffle. My suggestion is that anyone who gets it unless ur confident ur gonna run it without the baffle, leave it alone. Hopefully with the additional washer it won't happen again.

The second problem is the anodized tip. I got the gold and love the way it looked but have just noticed it has faded a lot in the 8 months I've had it. My bike is garage kept and Wasnt ridden for the first 4 months Cause of winter. Plus I park Ina garage at work. My ebay levers have faded almost exactly the same way in the same amount of time. Coffman stated this is a problem with any anodizing (not sure I agree) as sun and exhaust temps can contribute. I guess the black is powder coated and won't do this. Wish I had known that from the start. The fading isn't absolutely terrible but if it gets worse I will need to change it out to black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woody146

Banned
The second problem is the anodized tip. I got the gold and love the way it looked but have just noticed it has faded a lot in the 8 months I've had it. My bike is garage kept and Wasnt ridden for the first 4 months Cause of winter. Plus I park Ina garage at work. My ebay levers have faded almost exactly the same way in the same amount of time. Coffman stated this is a problem with any anodizing (not sure I agree) as sun and exhaust temps can contribute. I guess the black is powder coated and won't do this. Wish I had known that from the start. The fading isn't absolutely terrible but if it gets worse I will need to change it out to black.

No..not the case with all anodizing..just the case with cheap anodizing unfortunately.

My levers are the same exact shade of gold when Put em on over a year ago..rearsets mostly the same except where my boot is wearing it..but it just looks like it's been ridden.

That's some bs about the baffle too..they should have gave you another one either free or half off

va_bank

Well, another satisfied customer here. It got here in two business days somehow, I installed it Monday night. It took less than 20 minutes, 5 of those pratcicing with newly-acquired pop rivet tool. It's been raining so I didn't get to ride till today. Did my 40 mile commute - loved the sound! I was concerned I was going to wake up the household so I tried to ride away as quiet as possible. Called home later - no one seemed to notice. Once on the road, the sound opened up. I'm not a believer in "Loud pipes save lives" but I do feel that sport/sport touring bikes need a bit more presence than in their stock form. IMO, this fits the bill perfectly and also improves appearance of your bike, if you are "Less is more" type. So far - quiet happy. Will post an update in a year if I remember :)

860Rider

Great write up mate, I have a question, how bad is the droning on the pipe? That is my major concern, I have been looking for something to replace the factory exhaust with.

you will get a little but it didn't bug me. I rode from northern CT to Long Island, about 4hrs, 8 hours the following day, and the 6 hr ride home the same after with no ear plugs. for what its worth

860Rider

So I am a fan of this exhaust but I did find a couple of issues that kind of bother me. I went on a 250 mile ride to Indy this past weekend. About a week before the trip I had taken the baffle out of the exhaust. Feeling it was a bit too loud especially for an upcoming long trip I put it back in a few days before I left for the trip. On my way home I realized the baffle had fallen out on the highway. I had used snap ring pliers to remove and replace the snap ring and am 100% confident it had been seated properly. I emailed the coffmans and got a phone call in minutes. I explained the situation and was offered a replacement baffle for $40 which I purchased and received in 2 days. This one had an additional washer that is suppose to hold the snap ring tighter in the grove. I'm a bit annoyed at the cost to replace the baffle. My suggestion is that anyone who gets it unless ur confident ur gonna run it without the baffle, leave it alone. Hopefully with the additional washer it won't happen again.

Im wondering if it will affect the black tip as well? Thanks for the info!

860Rider

Coffmans is bullshit.The thing is just next to an empty header. That's my experience. No engineering or dyno time; lame! Anyone who says to contrary is lying.

So you're an expert that has engineering experience, or dyno proof that the system is BS?

860Rider

If you want to put a kazoo on the end of your exhaust this thing is perfect!

I posted a compare vid above. IMO compared to the stock, its far from a kazoo. Did you have a bad experience with the system? Im trying to understand the hate.

va_bank

I posted a compare vid above. IMO compared to the stock, its far from a kazoo. Did you have a bad experience with the system? Im trying to understand the hate.

BTW, I watch your install video on Youtube, that's why I was able to do my own in just a few minutes, so thank you!

Keach

Im wondering if it will affect the black tip as well? Thanks for the info!

No black shouldn't fade as it is powder coated not anodized. Part of what frustrates me is the website makes it look like they are all anodized and no where anywhere did I see a mention about the anodizing fading. Then I got the warranty info with the sheet which states the warranty does not cover color fade. I thought oh probably not a big deal, but after only about 5 months in the sun only while I ride it has faded a lot. Pam says exhaust temp is a factor too so the comparison of levers isn't the same. I disagree cause the top of the tip is a lot more faded than the bottom.

For those purchasing this I would stick to black. It annoys me the thing that stands out about their exhaust looks crappy in a short period of time. Here is a pic now and a pic shortly after installed. View attachment 3770

View attachment 3771