Clutch drag

HeadFX

Well I'm new, said hello and I have a question already - sorry about that! :p

My bike has only 350 miles or so on the clock so far, but has anyone else noticed what I can only describe as clutch drag? If I have the bike up on paddock stand in neutral, the rear wheel will rotate slowly... it's not vibration related - there is definitely some force behind it which you can feel when you try to slow the wheel down. I've started the bike on a very slight downhill slope and felt the bike want to roll forward :confused:

Also, when cruising up to some traffic lights or a junction, I can rev the engine in 1st gear and the clutch in, and I will feel a "lurch" through the transmission two or three times. I've tried adjusting the biting point right out and it doesn't make a difference.

I will get it looked at for the first service, I'm just wondering if anyone else had seen something similar.

RoadKill

ive noticed the small occasional nibbles while holding the clutch in at a light here as well. as far as the wheel rotating on the stand while in N im sure all my bikes have done that if you hit the throttle a bit.

Guillaume

Well I'm new, said hello and I have a question already - sorry about that! :p

My bike has only 350 miles or so on the clock so far, but has anyone else noticed what I can only describe as clutch drag? If I have the bike up on paddock stand in neutral, the rear wheel will rotate slowly... it's not vibration related - there is definitely some force behind it which you can feel when you try to slow the wheel down. I've started the bike on a very slight downhill slope and felt the bike want to roll forward :confused:

Also, when cruising up to some traffic lights or a junction, I can rev the engine in 1st gear and the clutch in, and I will feel a "lurch" through the transmission two or three times. I've tried adjusting the biting point right out and it doesn't make a difference.

I will get it looked at for the first service, I'm just wondering if anyone else had seen something similar.

ive noticed the small occasional nibbles while holding the clutch in at a light here as well. as far as the wheel rotating on the stand while in N im sure all my bikes have done that if you hit the throttle a bit.

When your rear wheel is in the air, I believe the viscosity of the oil in the transmission is enough to make the wheel spin a little even in neutral. Mine has always done that. I asked some experts at first since I knew nothing about it and it seems to be a non-issue. For the rest I'm not too sure.

G Chase

Pillion
The clutch on my FZ8 drags more than I'd like especially when cold. This causes a horrible 1st gear clunk and rough shifting and noticeable slight lurch as the originator describes, until the motor is completely warmed up. Even then, not a whole lot better.
I've tried different synth oils (Yamalube, Amzoil, Mobil, and Rotella T) and clutch adjustment...Not much difference in any case. Still needs to be very warmed up before symptoms get better.
The plates just don't release quite enough to unload the transmission. Has always been a gripe about this bike for me. Shop says 'normal'. But I have ridden probably thousands of motorcycles (I'm an old MC mechanic) and have never felt a clutch like this one. If I did, it was out of adjustment.

I'm considering replacing with a Barnett unit. Barnett clutches have spooked me though since the one I put in my Norton in 73 cracked the transmission case wide open like a huge walnut when dumping the clutch for burnout pics. Main-shaft and lay-shaft twisted around each other. :eek: But as you all know, a Norton dry clutch is not quite the same as any Yamaha clutch.

H

Hoover

Most of my bikes have done this. There are many thoughts as to why. With regards to the first gear clunk, that is down to the lightweight flywheel.
Go back to some posts last year that talk about it.

G Chase

Pillion
Yes, almost every bike will have some 1st gear clunk especially when cold but I've experienced nothing like this one. So much so that it is a cause of embarrassment when drivers around me look at me as if I just threw a rod and are waiting to see the smoke billowing.

By flywheel do you mean the light weight crank shaft creating less flywheel effect? Flywheel effect has nothing to do with it. Flywheel or not, If you don't separate a clutch's plates enough you will always be fighting to break the hub free of the basket. You will experience slamming first gear engagement, creep and hard shifting. And... embarrassment at stop signs.

D

DJK1505

I remember reading a guys post that said he had it into the dealer somehting like 10 times and they replaced the clutch plates twice and still the same. He was saying the center of the clutch pack was dry and sticking. Not sure, I have 18K miles on mine, and it still does it. I have gotten used to it. Once warm I do not notice it at all, I use mobil one or ams oil if that helps. I was thinking about swapping out my clutch plates and springs this winter.

Anyone tried aftermarket plates yet? Springs?

DJ

H

Hoover

Yes, almost every bike will have some 1st gear clunk especially when cold but I've experienced nothing like this one. So much so that it is a cause of embarrassment when drivers around me look at me as if I just threw a rod and are waiting to see the smoke billowing.

By flywheel do you mean the light weight crank shaft creating less flywheel effect? Flywheel effect has nothing to do with it. Flywheel or not, If you don't separate a clutch's plates enough you will always be fighting to break the hub free of the basket. You will experience slamming first gear engagement, creep and hard shifting. And... embarrassment at stop signs.

Yes, thats exactly what I meant. That was me typing in drunken English. My bad. Keep telling myself not to log on with Vodka. Thanks for catching it.
I shall now go and flush my own head down the toilet!

G Chase

Pillion
Real sorry if I sounded critical. I wasn't trying to be and please don't flush your head down the toilet. It will make your helmet wet.

This subject of flywheel effect reminds me of a time around 1985 when I was wrenching at a Honda/Yam/Kaw/BMW dealership near Boston. A customer came to the shop and complained that his new Honda V4, Sabre I believe, didn't have enough flywheel effect and expected us to be able to add some. We were sorry to have to disappoint him.

Now... Go riding and stop wasting time staring at your PC!

V

Vapordan

Why would you be embarrassed by the 1st gear hammer? The guy staring from the car doesn't know you and he is probably thinking that's a nice bike. The clutch isn't perfect, it's an economy bike. And besides, it should reduce with time, it takes 2000 miles to break in the gear box. It won't go away completely but were you expecting silky smooth for $8grand?

RnR

I'll agree the gearbox is a little crunchy when it's cold but all in all this bike shifts smoothly. If I had a GoPro I'd make some clips. Do I just have a lucky one? Or is it going to go to shit after more mileage? If I'm accelerating hard I only use the clutch to start. And this thing shifts great. Maybe Yamaha tweaked something for 2012. :idk: You want to hear a clunk when you shift try a Harley.

H

Hoover

I love the big bang into first. But then again, I love my stupid shouty exhaust too!

TundraTim

I've been used to the 1st gear clunk on every bike (Suzuki's & Kawaski's), but the clutch drag on this bike is worse...For example, take off from a parking spot, keep it in 1st, then pull up to a stop sigh and give it a few rev's...My bike clunks at least once with the clutch 100% pulled in.

I've adjusted it every way and it still does it. It does feel like there is VERY little clearance between the plates and the viscosity of the oil is causing it. I'm hoping it clears up with more miles.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
I've been used to the 1st gear clunk on every bike (Suzuki's & Kawaski's), but the clutch drag on this bike is worse...For example, take off from a parking spot, keep it in 1st, then pull up to a stop sigh and give it a few rev's...My bike clunks at least once with the clutch 100% pulled in.

I've adjusted it every way and it still does it. It does feel like there is VERY little clearance between the plates and the viscosity of the oil is causing it. I'm hoping it clears up with more miles.

After 14,000 kms mine still clunks hard, and stays engaged long after i have pulled clutch lever in, no matter where the adjustment is, the clutch on the FZ8 is very budget. Will be trying a better one this winter, i hate downshifting and getting a dead feel and no engagement. A better clutch will give me a better launch too....i hope.

mckshred

I have 5500 miles and have the exact same experience. I ride short commutes as well long endurance rides (for me) of 6-8 hours - up to 375 miles in a daytrip, so my fz8 is definitely broken in. I've also tried 2 different syn oils and no change.

I used to use EPC from BG on my old Seca inline and it quieted everything down in the engine and tranny. I bet it would help here, but I don't know if it's still sold or if it's safe to use on the FZ8.

Hopefully someone will post up a solution once it's discovered, because it doesn't seem to get better with mileage or oil changes.

RS1

After 14,000 kms mine still clunks hard, and stays engaged long after i have pulled clutch lever in, no matter where the adjustment is, the clutch on the FZ8 is very budget. Will be trying a better one this winter, i hate downshifting and getting a dead feel and no engagement. A better clutch will give me a better launch too....i hope.

Bringing a semi old thread back to life.. My 2012 FZ8 has about 250 miles on it, and the clutch definitely 'drags'.. It feels like it stays engaged for a good second or 2 after I pull it completely in.. I know it does because when coasting to a stop, after pulling in the clutch lever, the engine will keep revving with the wheel speed before 'letting go' for a good second or 2...

I know I didn't even have my first oil change yet, I also tightened the clutch lever slack with the cable, but still does it.. It felt like it didn't do this so much when the bike was brand new.. Anyone else?