Clubman handlebar and stock mirrors

randyka

Hey guys,
I'm thinking about putting this handlebar on my FZ8
BikeMaster Clubman Handlebar - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

Has any of you guys done it? if so, please let me know what i should watch out for? if you guys have done a handlebar swap but with a different clubman handlebar, please let me know what you bought and some details on the crux of the installation process.

My second question is: will my stock mirrors be acceptable on these handlebars? fit, functionality, and looks?

Thanks in advance!

rnvanquish

Hey guys,
I'm thinking about putting this handlebar on my FZ8
BikeMaster Clubman Handlebar - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

Has any of you guys done it? if so, please let me know what i should watch out for? if you guys have done a handlebar swap but with a different clubman handlebar, please let me know what you bought and some details on the crux of the installation process.

My second question is: will my stock mirrors be acceptable on these handlebars? fit, functionality, and looks?

Thanks in advance!

I haven't installed those bars on my bike (although I do have aftermarket Rizoma bars) but I can tell you that your mirrors will indeed fit as long as the bars are 7/8" diameter which they appear to be. The mirrors attach to the bars via a circular clamp so as long as the handle bars you're looking at are 7/8", they will definitely fit.

lothodon

Super Moderator
don't forget all the factory parts have locator pins and associated holes on the stock bars. VERY little wire length if you get too far from original position you'll have issues.

to fit factory components on aftermarket bars you either have to grind off the locator pins or drill holes in the new bars. drilling holes is challenging at best.

cambo

Avid Rider
I ordered a set of these last week (not the exact linked set above...but another 'clubman' style handlebar)...due to arrive this Thursday. I'm curious how they'll turn out...I'm hoping the mid section clears the instrument cluster area. There's supposedly 11 inches of mid section on the bars...but the instrument cluster (including the very edges of the headlight fairing) is jjjuuussttt over 11 inches...like, 11 and 1/8.

I may have to order some type of riser...

Agree with lothodon though...from having taken the handlebars off before to plasti dip them...there's very, very little room for deviation from stock setup.

the attached pictures are from what a ducati streetfighter looks like with these bars. I know riding position will change, and probably get more uncomfortable, but I think it'll look cool.

hopefully it buttons up nicely..but if not. oh well...at least it was another science project!

cambo

Avid Rider
I'm not asking u, I'm demanding u for an update, I've seen them before and they sparked some interest..... Thank you :)

hahaha, will do brosef...I'll have the bike torn apart thursday morning so I can get right to work in the afternoon when they arrive!

decooney

...I know riding position will change, and probably get more uncomfortable, but I think it'll look cool.

Cambo,
Hahaha. Now that's a departure from the FZ8 norm. :) Its always fun to see when someone thinks and goes for it way outside the box. Can't wait the see the photos of it when you are done.

I stopped studying and started doing on my bike too. The V&H slip-on came last week. My LSL new fat bars, clamps, bar-end mirrors, PCV5, and AIS block-off plates should all be here by week too. Following your lead I need to get out there over the next few nights and start tearing everything apart before all the parts get here. Man, I really need to stop looking at this website. All of these mods are starting to cost too much money. Hopefully this will be it for a while. Ahhhhhhh!

Last edited:

cambo

Avid Rider
Cambo,
Hahaha. Now that's a departure from the FZ8 norm. :) Its always fun to see when someone thinks and goes for it way outside the box. Can't wait the see the photos of it when you are done.

I stopped studying and started doing on my bike too. The V&H slip-on came last week. My LSL new fat bars, clamps, bar-end mirrors, PCV5, and AIS block-off plates should all be here by week too. Following your lead I need to get out there over the next few nights and start tearing everything apart before all the parts get here. Man, I really need to stop looking at this website. All of these mods are starting to cost too much money. Hopefully this will be it for a while. Ahhhhhhh!

haha well I've got to give the OP credit for the concept...he "inception-ed" the idea into my head and the more I thought about it the more I just had to do it! I was a little worried about discomfort I'll probably experience but, honestly during my 80 mile commute (which is the only prolonged riding I do) I seldom have both hands on the handlebars. I've got one hand on the throttle and my left side is propped up by my elbow on the gas tank as if I'm completely unamused with this ride lol. Gives folks I pass by a chuckle.

Can't wait to see the updates on your bike, especially the fat bars.

And yeah, my wife hates me surfing this site lol. Especially when I turn to her and ask her what she thinks about a particular mod someone did (as if I really care what she thinks...I just want her to think her input is valued pffft) because she knows that more of our money is about to be spent. She'd rather have me looking at redtube lol!!

Last edited:

decooney

cambo,

have you pre-measured, will your brake master cylinder and brake lines reach okay with the new Clubman bar configuration?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to replace my front brake lines when I switch to the wider LSL fat bars with a little over 1" more width on each side. The factory line out of the "T" is pretty tight up at the top near the light cover exit point. It just gives me an excuse to go with black braided anyhow.

cambo

Avid Rider
cambo,

have you pre-measured, will your brake master cylinder and brake lines reach okay with the new Clubman bar configuration?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to replace my front brake lines when I switch to the wider LSL fat bars with a little over 1" more width on each side. The factory line out of the "T" is pretty tight up at the top near the light cover exit point. It just gives me an excuse to go with black braided anyhow.

Oh yeah I'm almost certain you'll have to go with a new front brake line...there was so little play in it that it was tough to even seat it in it's stock position when putting the bar back together last time!

and nope...I'm gambling that there will be just enough length. hopefully the combination of being in a more forward and lower position will offset the fact that it'll be a little more outward? haha and yes, I've been eyeing some red galfer braided lines for a while as well. Would be a good excuse to jump on that!

Last edited:

decooney

Oh yeah I'm almost certain you'll have to go with a new front brake line...there was so little play in it that it was tough to even seat it in it's stock position when putting the bar back together last time!...

I put my new LSL Superbike Fat Bars and clamps on last night. Interesting, the bar is flatter, wider, and the clamps raise it back up 3/4". It was tight but I was able to get all the stock lines to work. The clutch/brake levers are a tad inwards like I do on my dirt bikes so it feels natural. Once I get the rest of the bits, grips, correct bar-end adapters end of this week I'll post a photo. Looks very different. I like it so far.

cambo

Avid Rider
awesome decooney! glad you didn't have to get new brake lines!

I test mounted my handlebars (they arrived this morning).

Looks cool, but I am definitely leaned way way forward, much more forward than I was expecting.

The stock brake line will fit I THINK...I'll have to route it outside of the headlight though. Here's some pics...the clearance is just enough to get around the headlight fairing.

I'll button everything up tomorrow...heading into work now.

master paper clip

That looks like its gonna be an interesting ride, I actually live the super sport position, a big reason why I like swapping bikes with my friend

xXAvroArrowXx

I really am looking forward to seeing end product. Looks NICE so far, I'm def interested in pulling this off myself. Did you grind the locator nubs on the controls or drill the new bars?

cambo

Avid Rider
Update:

I'll post pics tomorrow but I just got done tinkering a bit and am calling it quits because it's 2am. I've concluded the following:

1) I'll definitely need some type of riser to bring the bars back (towards me). Without risers and only the stock handlebar clamps...it's do-able and ride-able...but imagine riding with your chest on the tank. That's no kidding how far I'm leaning forward--my torso is maybe an inch or two off the tank . Keep in mind, I'm 6'2...that's a helluva reach forward! Anyway I'll post a picture to show you what I'm talking about.

These are the risers I'm going to try out...I like that they are adjustable so I can better tweak the bar placement.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Rox-Speed-FX-Pivoting-Handlebar/dp/B007R9X6UI/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AJO8BSPGGJBVI]Rox Speed FX Pivoting Handlebar Risers for 7/8" Clamps - 2"/Black : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

2) I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to go with new brake lines. Routing the brake line to the left of the headlight housing gave me enough play to mount it just fine...but it doesn't look clean at all. Plus, with a riser...I may need the extra line length anyway. Probably going to go with Venhill lines...they offer non-stock lengths at no additional charge. Some fz1 guys used them and had good things to say. Plus, I can get front and rear line package deal for $114. Not too shabby.

3) It's starting to be a pain in the ass, much more costly project than I had hoped. However, I do really like the look of the bars and if I can just get the handlebars where it feels semi-comfortable...it'll all be worth it.

4) Avro- I'll be drilling the bar...I want to keep the nipples on there for if/when I get tired of the riding position and want to come back to stock.

Questions to you guys:

How do you remove the bar end weight hardware from the stock bar? Anybody try this?

tjfisher

Looking good . Cambo try looking into core moto lines they are awesome and look great so many combos color wise .
mine are translucent blue with gold ends . Kinda wish I went with blue ends but still looks and works great the feel you get form braided lines is awesome

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

decooney

Questions to you guys:

How do you remove the bar end weight hardware from the stock bar? Anybody try this?

Cambo,
I looked at options, including ways to extract the factory plug by cutting the fact bars on the inside. Decided not to. If you want to re-use your stock bar ends, Its easier to make a new plug, thread it, and insert it. I left my stock bars virgin for any reason I need to put them back on when I sell the bike, and keeping or reselling my aftermarket bars setup. Bars are a personal thing, and the next buyer might not see the value or want them. Also, of course, you can buy aftermarket BEWs and try to avoid for what started out as a simple bar change project.

BTW: I may end up buying braided lines for the front anyhow (down the road) just for functional reasons regardless of the bar change. It's a good upgrade regardless.If you get the extended lines that allow more controls movement, you could re-use them on other/widers bars if you change again to something else again later. Its good to plan for other options, IMO.

Also - Maybe you could make a few sets of mock-up risers out of wood to see where you need the height first before you buy any risers. You could use some 2x4s and a hole saw for the bar recess. Once you get them where you want them, then order the height you need. Or, take some bath towels, roll them up and secure them with zip ties to make them dense as a first test, and lay the bars on your fork triple-clamps (without scratching them) at different heights. It's a cheesy mockup before wood blocks, but it works to see how different height levels feel, and fore/aft. Bar changes can be a pain (as you said) but once you get it where you want it, it can be rewarding. Keep up the great R&D work. ;)

Last edited: