Cleaning the radiator?

ramrod

Hmmm... I know I used to clean the radiotor out of my Chevelle with a scribe, some time, and a 6 pack of beer. Are you cleaning it to take the pebbles out and straighten the fins or just clean it out cosmetically?

Fazer401

toothbrush

Thats exactly what I used, a soft bristle toothbrush ever soooo gently. My radiator usually looks like a serial killers lifetime insect collection by the time I get home from a ride. I got sick of that really fast and just ordered the Evotech radiator guard for $100 shipped direct from Evotech through ebay. Its about $20 more than the next cheapest, and $30 more than the cheapest one available. IMHO, the Evotech definitely looks like its worth the little bit extra, its the only one that wraps around and covers the ugly sides of the radiator and the fit and finish just look top notch to me.

FZER

Avid Rider
Tooth brush here too. The OEM guard still let's a lot of stuff through, so I remove it when I wash, which isn't really often, because I'm a fair weather rider. Maybe when it cools off I'll get some coil cleaner and drop the radiator and really really clean it up. The coil cleaner expands and pushes everything out. :cool:

rysyndrome

Evotech guard for me too. installed it before I put a single mile on the bike and the rad is still as good as new.

DLSGAP

I picked up some coil cleaner today to see how it works. Of course since I've only had the fz a month I'm far from needing it yet. Probably wont be able to find the can when I need it.

FZER

Avid Rider
I picked up some coil cleaner today to see how it works. Of course since I've only had the fz a month I'm far from needing it yet. Probably wont be able to find the can when I need it.

Most cans of that stuff tell u to spray it on the back of the radiator thus easier to push the crud out from where it can from. This might be a good project when changing the coolant.

DLSGAP

Most cans of that stuff tell u to spray it on the back of the radiator thus easier to push the crud out from where it can from. This might be a good project when changing the coolant.

That's getting done in a few weeks. Switching to engine ice. Tired of it hovering around 200 when im rolling on the freeway at 65

FZER

Avid Rider
That's getting done in a few weeks. Switching to engine ice. Tired of it hovering around 200 when im rolling on the freeway at 65

Wow man it must be hotter than hell where you are than it is here. Usually on the instate no matter the outside temp I sit at about 185. Friday actual temp is suppose to be 102, so have to go for a ride and tell you what my water temp does.

DLSGAP

Been triple digits all week. 106 Tuesday.
I have a 42 mile commute each way. The 10 miles closest to work are hell and the temp rarely drops below 195. The tenth of a mile only going 30mph puts it right back to 216ish.

Tuesday, I came out from work and turned the key on... the temp gauge read 125 before I even started the bike

FZER

Avid Rider
Been triple digits all week. 106 Tuesday.
I have a 42 mile commute each way. The 10 miles closest to work are hell and the temp rarely drops below 195. The tenth of a mile only going 30mph puts it right back to 216ish.

Tuesday, I came out from work and turned the key on... the temp gauge read 125 before I even started the bike

I feel you on that one. I have like a half mile wait to get into the gate on base. It's down hill so sometimes I just cut the bike off and give it a little push now and then. Suppose to be 103 today with a heat index of 115.

metalmulisha

i use a pressure washer FAR away and have nevver had a problem just be super careful. i also have the oem radiator cover though, most bugs stick to it not the radiator