Cheapest OEM rear solo cowl 39P-F47F0-V0-00

kjonas75

39P-F47F0-V0-00 RR SEAT COWL KIT $206.25

This seems to be the cheapest place to get the OEM solo seat cowl for $206 (USD). This is approx $190 (AUD). Shipping to Australia is approx $50 (USD).

I was quoted $350 here in Australia. When I told the sales guy I can get it imported for less than $250, he laughed and said good luck with that.
I just emailed him the invoice for proof, and told him good luck selling it for $350.

Shipping is not cheap considering it's only a piece of plastic.

kjonas75

sinclap2

Lazy
I have bought a few things from Boats.net now. Their prices poo all over anything that Yamaha Australia can quote, even with the shipping from the US.

With the Aussie dollar being essentially on parity with the US dollar, it is going to be cheaper to get stuff from the US. Even if you theoretically add the 10% GST, we are still getting done by the prices here. I know there needs to be a mark up and Australia is also a smaller market , but it is over the top!

It is an international market now (internet and eBay), the sooner they realise that the sooner we will have prices that might be more inline with other markets. I am more likely to buy stuff from Australian suppliers and show some loyalty, but a $100+ price differences in some cases...no one can be that loyal!

The example i have put on this web site before is of my Yamaha frame sliders. In Australia from Yamaha ~$230 from Boats.net $113 + $35 delivery = $148. That is $82 in my pocket! COME ON! I am not just going to give $82 away.

The parts guys can laugh all they want, the reality is I can get it from the US (at the moment re US-AUS$ parity) a truckload cheaper, it is the same part and it is delivered to my door. It is also convenient for me because my nearest Yamaha supplier is at least an hour and half away.

Rant, over :D

Last edited:

GarryM

Sux for me because the US doesn't get the white model so I have to pay Yamaha Aus ripoff prices for plastics.

I did get my shock from the US though, for almost half the price Yamaha Aus wanted.

V

Vapordan

Curious, how did you find this part on boats.net? There's no FZ8 category and searching by part number doesn't return results. I'd like to look for other parts but I'm coming up empty. Thoughts?

kjonas75

I simply entered the OEM part number into Google, and the first page that came up was Boats.net. Price is the cheapest I found, and will be doing business with them in the future. Part will be shipped shortly.

rug_burn

yeah, but how do you get the rear seat off?

I just got the rear grab bars and am getting to the job of installing them, but I can't get the rear seat off, which seems necessary to removing the rear cowl. Does it just pull off with those rubber things like the side covers? What are those things called ? (socket - and - d_cks?) Or does the seat slide back once you've got the rear seat removed?

I really don't want to break any attachments on the seat or the mount below it.
I see that the rear cowl is marked on the inside or bottom for the cutout for the grab rails, and it looks like a dremel will do the job just fine.

Anybody know the answers to these questions?

Thanks- -Paul
(I know- it's getting about time to buy a manual.)

sinclap2

Lazy
I simply entered the OEM part number into Google, and the first page that came up was Boats.net. Price is the cheapest I found, and will be doing business with them in the future. Part will be shipped shortly.

That is the little trick you have to remember with Boats.net. For some reason sometimes putting the part number directly into their Search, it won't find it. But if you put it into Google, it will bring it often bring it up.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
I just got the rear grab bars and am getting to the job of installing them, but I can't get the rear seat off, which seems necessary to removing the rear cowl. Does it just pull off with those rubber things like the side covers? What are those things called ? (socket - and - d_cks?) Or does the seat slide back once you've got the rear seat removed?

I really don't want to break any attachments on the seat or the mount below it.
I see that the rear cowl is marked on the inside or bottom for the cutout for the grab rails, and it looks like a dremel will do the job just fine.

Anybody know the answers to these questions?

Thanks- -Paul
(I know- it's getting about time to buy a manual.)

You need to use your ignition key to unlock the rear seat. Left side of bike below front seat is the tumbler where the key goes, then the rear seat pops off.

rug_burn

You need to use your ignition key to unlock the rear seat. Left side of bike below front seat is the tumbler where the key goes, then the rear seat pops off.

Yes, thanks bro, I got the rear seat off no problem... but the problem I'm having is ultimately how to get the rear cowl off so I can do the surgery required ot instrall the grab bars (or luggage tiedown bars in my case, since my old lady will never be perched up on that tiny rear seat... by mutual agreement)
To get off the rear cowl I have to pull off about 4 screws now hidden by the driver's (main) seat, and I can't see any way to get that off short of just pulling real hard. I ain't so sure I want to do that. At this point a little info would go a long way.

rug_burn

Yes, thanks bro, I got the rear seat off no problem... I meant the front seat, my mistake.

The problem I'm having is ultimately how to get the rear cowl off so I can do the surgery required ot install the grab bars (or luggage tiedown bars in my case, since my old lady will never be perched up on that tiny rear seat... by mutual agreement)
To get off the rear cowl I have to pull off about 4 screws now hidden by the driver's (main) seat, and I can't see any way to get that off short of just pulling real hard. I ain't so sure I want to do that. There's a couple acorn nuts visible thru the rear seat tool compartment that are under the front seat, but I don't think this is how you pull the front seat.

At this point a little info would go a long way.

lyric911

Yes, thanks bro, I got the rear seat off no problem... but the problem I'm having is ultimately how to get the rear cowl off so I can do the surgery required ot instrall the grab bars (or luggage tiedown bars in my case, since my old lady will never be perched up on that tiny rear seat... by mutual agreement)
To get off the rear cowl I have to pull off about 4 screws now hidden by the driver's (main) seat, and I can't see any way to get that off short of just pulling real hard. I ain't so sure I want to do that. At this point a little info would go a long way.

There are 6 (maybe 8?) rivet like plastic clips underneath. Push the middle in with a small screw driver, then the clip will come out. Once those are removed you can pull off the cover.

GarryM

The front (riders) seat is held on by 2 allen bolts at the rear of the seat. If you lift up the padding on the rear of the seat you should be able to see them.

rug_burn

Thanks- I did that last night- and the grab bars fit incredibly well, with the cut lines molded into the bottom of the cowl all perfect. You can only see one of the cuts, the others are all covered by the bars themselves.

It's also nice to see those bars are very strong and secure- like any handrail is supposed to be.

Good planning and design on the part of Yamaha.

:2cents:

V

Vapordan

Thanks- I did that last night- and the grab bars fit incredibly well, with the cut lines molded into the bottom of the cowl all perfect. You can only see one of the cuts, the others are all covered by the bars themselves.

It's also nice to see those bars are very strong and secure- like any handrail is supposed to be.

Good planning and design on the part of Yamaha.

:2cents:

This thread is worthless without PICS!!!:mad:

rug_burn

Check these shots of the finished job-attached (I hope). There are also a few more in my 'member's gallery'
If you're thinking of adding some other attachments to your bike- these are excellent. They feel like they have a metal (aluminum?) core, judging by their rigidity, and they're covered with this dense, kind of tacky feeling rubber. Very secure.

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
Sux for me because the US doesn't get the white model so I have to pay Yamaha Aus ripoff prices for plastics.

I did get my shock from the US though, for almost half the price Yamaha Aus wanted.

I could have sworn I saw a black one, a pewter one, and a white one in the dealership the other week....