Change color wrap

Inspired by the tank color of the 2015 fz8 and the 2015 triumph Bonneville Lunar Silver, and Airstream trailers, I've decided to try turning my 2013 fz8 color into something belonging on an old military aircraft. Choosing to wrap it in case I don't like it and to protect the current stock paint job. The wrap I ordered today is 3M 1080 Gloss White Aluminum. Here is what I'm going for...
17859350240_5b25acfc62_z.jpg

I'll update this thread with the progress...

npeifer2308

Defiantly looks pretty cool from that pic. Hopefully it turns out just as nice if not better. Goodluck with the project!

So I wrapped the tank over the last few days. I’m actually seriously considering stopping with the tank as I really like the two tone look (Looks quite a lot like the 2015 scheme).

Being the novice wrapper I am, and doing it on my own without a second pair of hands, this took about 4 1/2 hours total. No seams and all in one piece for the tank and one for the tank top cover. The job isn’t 100% perfect but if it stays down it’s good enough for me.
Decided not to wrap around the tank emblems and I removed those with dental floss before I wrapped.
Major failure on my part by putting the tank emblems on with Gorilla double stick mounting tape. During my commute in today $50 just blew right off the bike. This was my reaction when I got to work and saw they were missing…

Pics coming up next…

Last edited:

Keach

So I wrapped the tank over the last few days. I’m actually seriously considering stopping with the tank as I really like the two tone look (Looks quite a lot like the 2015 scheme).

Being the novice wrapper I am, and doing it on my own without a second pair of hands, this took about 4 1/2 hours total. No seams and all in one piece for the tank and one for the tank top cover. The job isn’t 100% perfect but if it stays down it’s good enough for me.
Decided not to wrap around the tank emblems and I removed those with dental floss before I wrapped.
Major failure on my part by putting the tank emblems on with Gorilla double stick mounting tape. During my commute in today $50 just blew right off the bike. This was my reaction when I got to work and saw they were missing…

Pics coming up next…

Buy some ebay emblems on the cheap. You can maybe even find a color u like better for less than 50 bucks. I think I used a 3m double sided tape for mine that is for emblems cause the tape on the cheapies sucked. The 3m stuff has worked awesome. Just had to use it twice width wise and trip away the excess (if that makes sense tape was a little more than half the width of the emblems).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keach

If I ever get bored with my sexy black 2011 a guy I work with did some amazing shit with lime green vinyl on his mustang. Sounds hideous and way too loud, but it looks badass (I even have conservative taste). Might have to get him to lay out something cool for me since I've got no imagination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sirdyza

I did the same with my 2012 on the front headlight fairings as well as the tail. It looked good, but I was unable to do a great job on the tail as it has such tight bends. I put seams on the lower side where they could not be seen from afar, but on close inspection they would be noticed. Overall, I liked the outcome; however, when I got my 2013 I decided to stick with stock colors. This is a very good option based on price and ability to go back to stock if so inclined and available colors. What is really nice is that the color you get is what you have when applied. I spent maybe $40 on the wrap I used, and still have enough to wrap at least 2 more bikes if I wanted. A couple of additional items that I purchased to help with the project were the dental floss tape (for cutting shapes where desired) and primer to increase the likelihood that the wrap does not come undone along the edges. The key to doing this is to take it slow, have a heat gun, and have enough to start over if mistakes are made.

I would post pics, but lost them with the phone, and totaled the 2012 (why I got the '13).

Also, the wrap lasts a while (if careful with it). I had mine on for over 1 year and there were only minor flaws, but nothing too bad. Great thing is that when it is scuffed up too much you just remove and apply again. This can be useful if the bare fairing has some imperfections in it. My wind screen had some scratches in it. When I applied the wrap it went on smooth and could not even tell that there were scratches.