Chain Lube

Gem rod

Hello Everyone.

I wanted to get a people's views on chain lube. In particular what do you use and how do you apply it?

I want to resist something as expensive and complicated as a Scott Oiler for now however I may consider it to be an option in the future. I would however be interested to hear people's views concerning effectiveness and ease of fitting.

The problem as I see it is that unless your chain receives adequate and frequent lubrication, then you run the risk of having to replace the chain more than is necessary, and with modern non-split link chains that is not an easy task. To say nothing about having to replace sprockets as well.

On the other hand to coat the chain with copious amounts of cheap oil say with a rag or brush every two weeks or so is only likely to leave a puddle in your garage followed by congealed lumps of oil everywhere on the bike from the rear suspension to the gear shifter which spoils the look of your machine and makes it impossible to clean.

So what is the answer? Does the secret lie in just applying exactly the right amount of oil to avoid it immediately flipping off? What about grease? Does that flip off as easily? How will cheap oil or grease affect the chain 'o' ring seals?

I must admit the chain on my CBF 600 has only been adjusted once in four years and it has done 10k miles. I have to quote my own words 'applied copious amounts' and this may well explain the longevity of the chain. I would add however that the CBF 600 is fairly low torque engine and is unlikely to stretch a chain. The Fazer at 106 bhp however may well be different.

Just one other small point is that when I inspect other bikes in in town, I invariably see dry and rusty chains. Clearly some people's solution is do do nothing and accept the expensive consequences.

Sorry for the long post but I think this really is something worth exploring as it could save money on expensive parts on the one hand and lead to a tidy clean bike on the other.

dart1963

Super Moderator
being in the UK, the Scott Oiler may be your best bet... otherwise, any good o-ring chain lube is the way to go. Dupont makes a wax lube, lots of people love it as it's cheap and doesn't fling off or attract much gunk, I've found the pj11 black label to be good for coverage, lasts long, but it will fling like crazy. Depending how much you ride, and the weather (I know, been many years since I was in the UK, but I remember the rain/sunny day ratio well), without the Scott Oiler, you're probably going to have to lube every week or two.

most chains, at least replacement chains are master link chains, only the factory chain isn't, and you can just cut it off ;)

aabindas

I use this stuff called chain wax. Its is in a spray can and I apply it to the bottom side of the chain where it doesn't spray everything. Then I let it set up before I take it out for a ride. Its dries like a wax. I use the stuff on my dirt bike too and on a muddy day it will keep everything off of it. I apply it more or less depending on how much I wash and ride in the rain. But you can see it stays on for a long time.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

SeñorJack

El Guapo
Interesting that none of you use cheap engine oil.

OK I'll give these new products a go.

Off to ebay now...:)

Engine oil is messy, it flings. I use pj as well, it's clean in my opinion. Just DO Not use a brush. The brush is what ruins of ring chains often, as they actually make contact with the rings and cause damage. I used to clean my chain all the time and ruined it. Also ran a new chain for a few 1000 miles without lube and no lube or stock lube lasts longer than lube and brush.

D. I. D. Says clean with cleaner and wipe down with a rag.

No mames wuey

RoadKill

yeah the problem with oil and a lot of chain lubes is that dirt clings to them. little pieces of sand etc help to wear down your chain/sprockets. if you get something that repels dirt like liquid performance (im not familiar with pj's) then you are helping your chain last longer.

pigdog

"chain wax". doesn't sling. i pick up the rear wheel with a pitbull stand & rotate the wheel by hand. good for 500mi. or so.

EtienneFZ8

I also use chain wax by maxima. After you clean the chain ride the bike a few mins and warm the chain, apply and let set for atleast 15 mins. It is resistant to water an dirt and doesn't fling off. I clean and lube every 500 miles.

troublemaker

Chain lube

I just cleaned my chain for the first time. Wasnt that hard I did use this little tool called a wheel jockey that cost me like $50 bucks. It was better then getting a moto stand and spools. So plus no room to store a stand since living in an apt. So space is little tight for all these extra gadgets that u need to have for basics.

Dupont makes a degreaser and a chain lube. I bought at walmart for like $6 bucks a can I got 2 of each. The time to clean and lube takes I would say 2hrs from start to finnish for a good cleaning and scrubbing. They say ever 600 miles for the fz8. So least I be good at the chain cleaning. Since I am a noob just another new thing for me to learn and do on my fz8 2013. I would say get a brush I pick that up as well at walmart. They have alittle motocycle section in the auto dept.

Woody146

Banned
Motoul is awesome! But any good chain wax/ lube works...2 ways to apply..if you have a rear stand..put it up...put in N and spray wax on a clean microfiber towl..cup rear sprocket with towl in hand and spin wheel! (Easiest and CLEANEST way) or roll bike on ground and spray on chain and sprocket trying not to get it everywhere!