Ceramic coated headers

Motogpmad

I will be removing my header pipes today ready to get them ceramic coated. The pipe is starting to look a bit corroded after only 4000 miles. Im going for a nice matt black finish. I am also going to get the pipe end of my akro can coated the same to match. While the can is in bits i am going to shorten it by about 4". The ceramic coating will not only look good but will improve performance and fuel economy. cutting down the can will also look a bit better and give a nice deeper tone.

Anybody else done this?

Will post pics when its done.
Cheers, Mark

Motogpmad

Forgot to mention. I will be documenting the whole process and will post on here for your interest.

mac89

How much would it cost normally to get the headers coated? Iv brought some paint and was planning to it when I get some time, but am still debating if am going to or not.

Motogpmad

Your looking at around £200. But it will last forever ( if done properly) and give around 5-10BHP power gain. paint is ok but it will come off after time. The metal has to be blasted first to give a good Key for the coating to stay on.

mac89

Might have to wait abit, in the process of buy my house, so moneys tight specially with the missus loose in the next home etc. thanks and maybe one day, will be cheaper if I can get it prep, sand blasted?
Thanks again,
Mac.

Motogpmad

Might have to wait abit, in the process of buy my house, so moneys tight specially with the missus loose in the next home etc. thanks and maybe one day, will be cheaper if I can get it prep, sand blasted?
Thanks again,
Mac.

The expense is the coating mate. The prep is just part of the course. We would rather blast them our selves so we know its done properly. If it fails due to not being blasted properly then its a shitter on us.

mac89

Yeah, fair one. Ok well I'll keep it in mind and hopefully funds will come available,
Thanks again.
Mac

Motogpmad

So, does a standard FZ8 Put out 104 BHP? Has anybody ever put one on a dyno standard? Im asking because i am going to Dyno mine after the pipes have been ceramic coated. I'm hoping for an increase of between 5 -10 BHP as stated in the tech specs for the coating.

ssky0078

So, does a standard FZ8 Put out 104 BHP? Has anybody ever put one on a dyno standard? Im asking because i am going to Dyno mine after the pipes have been ceramic coated. I'm hoping for an increase of between 5 -10 BHP as stated in the tech specs for the coating.

What I've read is that it is stock 104.7 hp. Let's hear how she does afterward and if you get the power boost you were thinking. I was actually thinking about doing a black ceramic coating on my pipes.

D

DJK1505

man 5-10 BHP seems like a lot. I coul be very wrong, will be interesting to see. I know my first dyno I ran 94hp at the wheel. This was with minimal mods, air filter, slipon, lars air box mod, flies cut, quick turn throttle, and the base PCV map.

DJ

F

Fazed

The 104 hp quoted is at the flywheel. The 94HP from Dr Doom seems about right for rear wheel hp. Remember that there is transmission losses and also the final figure depends on the dyno used. Even 2 same dyno machines can give a differing power figure for the same bike. Always use the same dyno to measure the difference your mods are making. Also remember than getting max power is not always the best. I'd rather ride a bike with a nice mid range bump and get 10 hp less at the top end, than have a cavernous dip but 10hp more at the top end.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DJK1505

I know its at the crank, but still 5-10 seems like a lot, your talking a 10% increase from just coating your stock exhaust. The arrow header claims like 7hp increase. Huh like I said, will be interesting to see what happens with just a coating!

DJ

F

Fazed

If it works my arrow headers will be sent to get coated as soon as they arrive.