Center Stand?

IceBerge12

Has anyone bought and installed a center stand for their bike yet? Was it easy? I see Yamaha makes one for the bike but look's like it doesn't come with a spring?!?!

Thanks!

- Erik

lyric911

Has anyone bought and installed a center stand for their bike yet? Was it easy? I see Yamaha makes one for the bike but look's like it doesn't come with a spring?!?!

Thanks!

- Erik

I've installed the Yamaha one. It does come with a spring (two, actually.)

The install isn't that bad. The only remotely difficult part is fitting the springs.

IceBerge12

Sweet, I'll have to pick that up ASAP, one thing I didnt like about this bike compared to the FZ6 is that, now that is nullified haha!

H

Hoover

There are quite a few threads on here, mostly a while ago, that talk about the merits of center stands V's pit stands.
Personaly speaking, on every bike I have ever owned, the first thing I would do is remove the factory center stand.
That's one job I didn't have to do when I bought my 8: Yamaha were kind enough to do it for me.
:rockon:

lyric911

There are quite a few threads on here, mostly a while ago, that talk about the merits of center stands V's pit stands.
Personaly speaking, on every bike I have ever owned, the first thing I would do is remove the factory center stand.
That's one job I didn't have to do when I bought my 8: Yamaha were kind enough to do it for me.
:rockon:

I don't understand this. It's like 3 pounds, and is inherently useful. It's not like you're keeping up with FZ1s after removing 3 pounds.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
I installed the yamaha center stand, love it, very useful. The trick to an easy install is to hook up the spring BEFORE you install the mounting bolts, easy as pie.

FZh8in

I don't understand this. It's like 3 pounds, and is inherently useful. It's not like you're keeping up with FZ1s after removing 3 pounds.

+1! I have the center stand as well and i love the thing. My buddies keep telling me to take it off to save the weight but you really dont notice it anyway. It's low on the bike so it doesn't really affect me when we carve up corners on our street fight nights :D Plus it makes changing the oil, lubing the chain, changing tires ect. a breeze

H

Hoover

Clearance in the corners. I'm not sure how close the 8's stand comes to grounding out, but on all my previous bikes, it would touch way before the pegs would. I know of a couple of people who had a center stand dig in and spit them off mid corner.
I have owned a Pitbull for years so it was a no-brainer tojust put spools on my 8.
Have you weighed your stand? 3 pounds seems quite light. I would have guessed 6 or 7.

lyric911

Clearance in the corners. I'm not sure how close the 8's stand comes to grounding out, but on all my previous bikes, it would touch way before the pegs would. I know of a couple of people who had a center stand dig in and spit them off mid corner.
I have owned a Pitbull for years so it was a no-brainer tojust put spools on my 8.
Have you weighed your stand? 3 pounds seems quite light. I would have guessed 6 or 7.

Pegs still hit first.

Even if it's 10 pounds, I'm 215. Hell a gallon of gas is ~8 pounds. 10 pounds that low just don't matter. I'm not in World Superbike or anything.

My other argument for a center stand - it's with you everywhere. Pitbull stands are useful where your stands are. If I need to do chain maintenance on the side of the road somewhere, I can with a center stand.

IceBerge12

Exactly! They are waaaay to useful, I dont own any stands right now at home so all I have is my kick stand which does nothing for maintenance. Plus if I ever have to park on less then ideal surfaces the center stand is way more reassuring! Worth whatever weight gains happen, IMO.