Can an FZ8 handle Two People okay?

rigger4343

I'm looking at a 12' FZ8 that a local dealer has with only 45 miles on the bike. It is pre-owned. Previous owner bought it, rode it home and got really sick that weekend and never road it again.

I don't really know much at all about the FZ8's. I am no stranger to bikes but have not kept up with this machine. I did ride it quickly and thought everything about the bike felt smooth. I like the seating position too.

My concern for the bike is how does it do with two people on it? I had an FZ6 once and I really liked the bike but when my now X-Wife got on it with me, the bike was horrible. It could not handle the weight.

My new and wonderful girlfriend loves to ride with me so I want a bike that works well for both of us. She is little, 5'2" and only about 110 pounds. My Buell handles the weight of both of great but the comfort level of my Buell is killing me. We spent three days in the mountains not long ago on the Buell and that was when I decided I needed a bike that is a bit more comfortable

So can an FZ8 handle two up and have the passenger ride with some level of comfort? Are there any luggage options for the FZ8? Most of the time the bike will be taking me to work and running back roads. Some days by myself and other days with my girlfriend. We will do the occasional trip to the mountains as well.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Yeah, the FZ8 will be fine with two people. It isn't the best for two up riding, but it will suffice just fine. My wife rides two up with me on the FZ1 and it is excellent. We always did two up on my FZ6R, and that was a little tougher. I would think the FZ8 would be similar to the FZ1.

master paper clip

I hate passengers on the 8, the angle of the tail and the lack of support on the passenger seat always makes everyone slid down to my seat and push me into the tank... All personal opinion

JSP

Administrator
I had no issues with my wife on mine. You will always notice their weight on any bike. The bigger/heavier the bike the less it is bothersome, but its always there.

We did fine on it. My wife thought it was comfy (coming from my 09 R6 :D)...

F3NIX

I hate passengers on the 8, the angle of the tail and the lack of support on the passenger seat always makes everyone slid down to my seat and push me into the tank... All personal opinion

Like master said I ride two up at times and find my tiny gf pushing my family jewels into my tank...lol. but it does handle fine and has plenty of power to handle two. Just protect the jewels ;)

Sent from my phone

ultimate_walrus

I've ridden a few hours with the gf on my 8 as well without real issues. Once the lady got more comfortable as a passenger it made the ride a lot nicer for the both of of us. If your passenger can extend her arms forward and brace against the tank when you decelerate, it takes a lot of the pressure off your precious bits. Regarding power and handling, I usually tighten the preload about two or three notches and decrease rebound damping a few clicks left of the factory default before any rides longer than a couple of minutes. You'll have to find what works best with you and your passenger's combined weight

Bajaedition

It can handle 2 people, just not a huge bike to do it on

I prefer a bigger bike for 2 up, personally I am looking for something to replace the rear seat with on my 13 that matches the bike

[]V[]addog

i think an aftermarket seat that has padding in the front of the passenger seat works wonders for their confort and not sliding forward

thach1130

My Buell handles the weight of both of great but the comfort level of my Buell is killing me. We spent three days in the mountains not long ago on the Buell and that was when I decided I needed a bike that is a bit more comfortable

So can an FZ8 handle two up and have the passenger ride with some level of comfort? Are there any luggage options for the FZ8

You didn't mention if it was the Lightning or the Firebolt. The naked lightning is similar to the FZ8. 2 up on the FZ8 isn't bad. It have torque to handle the low speed stuff without bogging down, but the stock seats are uncomfortable as mentioned above. Both seats are angled down so resulting in crushed nuts. That would be something i'd do first. Mod the seats or get aftermarket one.

Also i'm only 145lb and my gf is 110. I have to dial up the preload when i do 2 up because it sag a lot even with our tiny stature.

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
It works great. I highly recommend the shad seat for 2up, though. It has more grip and your pillion rider will stay put and be more comfortable.

Speedy2

I am usually the operator of my bike. I had the opportunity to ride on the back of my own bike on my vacation. I found it pretty comfortable, it actually surprised me. It hauled us quite well. I had an FZ6 and I think that didn't have enough power for 2 up.

pigdog

if she likes motoring, surprise her with her own bike, & a riders course for both of you. bonding, aint it great. just a thought...

MikeC

Weekend Rider
Although this shot makes it look really strange, The UK/CA trunk rack+grab bars make EASY work of riding 2 up on fz8!

TorontoAlex

I have both top sellerie with gel and a shad and they are both a huge improvement. Can ride 1-2 hrs now no prob. Got the grab bar luggage rack + 46l trunk and backrest and its also a huge improvement. I dont know how to adjust the suspension and find it a bit hard when hitting bumps/ sewer grates but otherwise its good. Not easy to handle at low speeds at first but got used to it.

avia290

My lady is the same size as yours and we take 150-200mi rides together pretty regularly. Just remember to hug your legs to the tank while braking especially when you're braking hard or you will crush your nuts. It's not

rigger4343

Thanks again for the input on the bike guys. I am still trying to decide what bike I want. I am leaning more towards a sport touring machine or an adventure bike but when I saw this little FZ8 and it only has 45 miles on it, I thought I should ask some questions about it.

I am still thinking about it though!