Can a FZ8 be lowered?

• Thread starter OldSportsterDude
  • Start date
O

OldSportsterDude

Hello, I am a newbi to the forum but have been riding motorcycles of some kind all of my life pretty much. I have soul searched deep on what I want next and I just love the naked bikes. Problem is there are not many to choose from under a liter.

My other problem is that I am vertically challenged at 5' 5". I am riding a sportster(rigid mount) now that I hate. The vibration on this thing is unreal even though I have adapted to it the best I can and made every change possible to calm it down some. I had an old cb650 Honda back in 79 that I loved. I want to get back to the basics without breaking the bank. The FZ8 has more potential than I could ever ring out of it.

I went by my local dealer and they did not have any in stock so I have yet to see one but I have read everything I can get my hands on about them. I know the seat is going to be way to high for me. What if anything can be done and will it screw up the handling? Thanks.

hypo

I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam on my jeans and the FZ8 and I are perfect for each other. Don't know about lowering, but I definitely don't think I'd ever do that to this bike.

O

OldSportsterDude

I wear a 30" inseam pants as well. My seat now is 28.5 so adding a bunch to it is going to be a problem I think. Unless you buy some type of cruiser this is what you run into.

hypo

I came off a 750 honda shadow with a mustang seat and really don't feel that the height issue is bad. as soon as you put some weight on the bike, it lowers very nicely and I can almost flatfoot on both sides of the bike at a red light.

H

Hoover

I remember reading a thread on this before, either on this forum or the other one. Do a search and see if anything pops up. It was a while ago

beefcake morris

I my inseam is 28 and I don't have a problem with the height. Just know that you will be on half of your feet at stops. If anything remove the sear cover and shave the bottom of the pad, not the top where your butt would go.

D

DJK1505

I have seen some lowering links on ebay. Not sure how much that would change up the ride, but you can lower anything.

DJ

FZ1inNH

Administrator
The Soupy's link is the same for the FZ1/8 models. My wife has the link and his adjustable kickstand. Works great! We lowered her FZ1 almost 3" without any problems. Just make sure you torque the link in place properly.

The only drawback is it takes away from the suspension travel.