Cam chain tensioner making noise?

D

Deleted member 438

When I start the bike cold it sounds like I'm getting rattling like the cam chain tensioner is bad. Is anybody else noticing this? I remember my CBR having CCT issues and they had to be replaced every other oil change.

Sschwar4

No tricky here at 6000 miles.

My 09 R1 started ticking at 1000 miles. Dealership replaced CCT since there was a new part number available. But the FZ8 is completely different.

D

Deleted member 438

No tricky here at 6000 miles.

My 09 R1 started ticking at 1000 miles. Dealership replaced CCT since there was a new part number available. But the FZ8 is completely different.

I have 5500, and I'm just out of warranty. I'm gonna replace it just to be safe.

kwrose66

When I start the bike cold it sounds like I'm getting rattling like the cam chain tensioner is bad. Is anybody else noticing this? I remember my CBR having CCT issues and they had to be replaced every other oil change.

The scheduled service in both the owners and service manual doesn't call for it to be changed at all. Request you post your findings with photo's.

D

Deleted member 438

The scheduled service in both the owners and service manual doesn't call for it to be changed at all. Request you post your findings with photo's.

It only lasts for about 30 seconds on a cold start---I will see if I can get it recorded. I don't think think the dealer will do it for free and I'd rather them not touch my bike for a fairly easy job like the cct.

Sschwar4

I'd say put an adjustable one in, but there is no room with the clutch. I'd try changing to a different oil before replacing, since it is only for the first 30 seconds. And cleaning the current one.

D

Deleted member 438

I'd say put an adjustable one in, but there is no room with the clutch. I'd try changing to a different oil before replacing, since it is only for the first 30 seconds. And cleaning the current one.

I decided that I'm just going to wait and see if it gets worse. If it's just at startup it can't be too bad.

JRider

Might want to change the oil filter first. Could be wrong here but could a hydraulicaly driven motor turn this kind of RPM?

D

Deleted member 438

I'm currently running a mobil1 oil filter and rotella t6, and prior to this I was running mobil1 4t and the the Mobil 1 oil filter. I guess I could throw mobil1 4t in there again since that's the only thing that's changed. I'm kinda thinking along the lines that any motor makes more noise at startup, so maybe I shouldn't sweat it.

Sschwar4

Oil drains to the bottom when engine off. Some oils tend to coat better than others. It takes a few seconds for the oil to circulate and quiet things down.