Brake lines

B

bren

Hey folks,

My bday is in a couple weeks and "my kids" are buying me som red brake lines.. Venhill is the name I think.

Anyone had them? Do braided lines really give you better braking?

Basically, I'm just buying them for the look hahahaha.

The front ones seem to go straight from the master cylinder, to the cailipers. 2 hoses. Seems easy enought to fit- just a bolt at each end. Same for the rear..

Do you need to bleed the brake lines? Or will a top up of brake fluid, then a ride, then another top up do?

W

WARPTH

Improves feel as it reduces flex through the standard rubber hoses. Def bleed afterwards. U do not want air in your lines.

B

bren

This will sound dumb, but how do u bleed them? And will this involve draining all the fluid?
If yes, can anyone recommend a good brake fluid for our bikes?

(Sorry for the stupid questions lol.. )

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
This will sound dumb, but how do u bleed them? And will this involve draining all the fluid?

Here is a fairly in depth how to:

How to Bleed Motorcycle Brakes

There is also some videos on bleeding brakes:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkxcQzhgJLU]Motorcycle Brake Bleeding Procedure from Sportbiketrackgear.com - YouTube[/ame]

Video: How to Bleed Motorcycle Brakes | eHow.com

It really isn't that difficult, you can actually do it by yourself, it does however help if you have a second person.

H

Hoover

Best way is to buy one of these:

Mityvac Brake and Clutch Bleeding Equipment

I have used this for years.

If you do a quick google search, there are many pages of help mate.

Make sure you wrap a cloth around the master cylinder BEFORE you remove the cap. As the cylinder is not upright, it will spill if you are not carefull.

As you will be using 2 single lines, you will be getting rid of the splitter under the head light. Make sure you have the brass washers installed and be sure that the 2 lines are staggered off the master cylinder so they tighten down properly.
You WILL notice a difference right away, especially under hard braking.

Here is a pic of my lines at the master cylinder.

ssky0078

I just had some Hel SS brake lines installed. The difference is very small in what you may notice. I haven't gone on a very long twisty ride yet. What I've been told that is where they shine (or track days) because when they heat up, they are less likely to have brake fade.

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
Best way is to buy one of these:

Mityvac Brake and Clutch Bleeding Equipment

I have used this for years.

If you do a quick google search, there are many pages of help mate.

Make sure you wrap a cloth around the master cylinder BEFORE you remove the cap. As the cylinder is not upright, it will spill if you are not carefull.

As you will be using 2 single lines, you will be getting rid of the splitter under the head light. Make sure you have the brass washers installed and be sure that the 2 lines are staggered off the master cylinder so they tighten down properly.
You WILL notice a difference right away, especially under hard braking.

Here is a pic of my lines at the master cylinder.

Yup, my mightyvac is easily one of my favorite tools. Much better than the old pump and hold method.