Brake Caliper Seals

DSmith

Come spring time when I yank the bike out of storage, I'm putting some SS brake lines and new brake pads on (among other things). I've watched a few how to's on changing brake lines, bleeding brakes, ect. and it's pretty straightforward. What I can't find is any info on replacing the brake caliper piston seals and dust seals. The service manual says to change them every two years. The bikes a 2012 and what better time than when I have my whole brake system apart. Has anyone done this? And are there any seal kits online because I cant find squat.

9 Lives

I haven't replaced the seals on this particular bike, but have done many on other bikes and cars. Pretty simple, the manual explains it pretty well. make sure you put a piece of wood between the apposing pistons when you blow them out so you don't damage them. You don't need a lot of pressure, I normally turn down the pressure to 50 psi, and if they don't come out turn it up from there. They can come out with a lot of force so keep your hands out of the way. The dust boots can be a bit tricky, Put the dust boots on the pistons first then push in the pistons in just far enough to get them in place on the caliper, then push them in all the way. Lube them with brake fluid and they will slide on a bit easier.

Every two years seems a bit much for me, I normally only replace them if there is a leak or brake problems. I think Yamaha is just covering their ass with this recommendation.

Last edited:

DSmith

I haven't replaced the seals on this particular bike, but have done many on other bikes and cars. Pretty simple, the manual explains it pretty well. make sure you put a piece of wood between the apposing pistons when you blow them out so you don't damage them. You don't need a lot of pressure, I normally turn down the pressure to 50 psi, and if they don't come out turn it up from there. They can come out with a lot of force so keep your hands out of the way. The dust boots can be a bit tricky, Put the dust boots on the pistons first then push in the pistons in just far enough to get them in place on the caliper, then push them in all the way. Lube them with brake fluid and they will slide on a bit easier.

Every two years seems a bit much for me, I normally only replace them if there is a leak or brake problems. I think Yamaha is just covering their ass with this recommendation.

Two years seemed like a little overkill. I think I'll just pump the pistons out a bit and clean any dirt and grit off of them.