BOSS MCBK420B Speaker Installation.

VegasRebelMoto

So I just received my BOSS speakers, and I'm currently going through the manual of both the bike and the speaker system to try and teach myself the install. I really just don't understand what any of these tutorial videos are even talking about. So I wanted to ask the community if anyone has any experience installing speakers, or any electrical experience at all, I could use some help. Thanks!

Mikz86ta

Not specifically that but my background....started when I was 15 doing my own stuff, by 18 I was an apprentice at a shop, worked in the industry as a tech and up to manager and then ran my own shop.
Ingot out of it about 6 years ago and so electronic manufacturing now.

But I can help you out. Just need to look up what you bought and see what questions you have. I'm here to help

Mikz86ta

Looks pretty simple.
First thing I would do is find a spot to mount the speakers. Needs to be out of the way of motion of the turning from full lock to lock. And unobstructed for your hands and controls. I would even just mount the speakers where u want them, secure the wires temporary and go for a ride. Get you a good feel of how they are going to be in front of you and if they are going to obstruct any control or vision.

Last edited:

Mikz86ta

Next would be amp mounting location. I would guess the size of it is not huge but going to need some room.
If you are going to use Bluetooth 100% of the time, the rear underseat storage should be good space. If you plan on using the AUX (headphone looking Jack), you may not have enough cable to go from back of bike, under all the seats and such and up to the front. So an extension may be needed for that. But if not using that, then no worries.

Mikz86ta

Once comfortable with the mounting locations, plan out your wiring. You can also use Velcro to mount the app underseat location.
Since you need battery access, remove riders seat. Look into the YouTube video or Google the HowTo pages on installing a Power Commander in a fz8. These pics and videos will help you remove panels and prop up the gas tank. Since you are running wires, these videos and pages will be a good resource to refer to. There's also some on changing the air filter which can help.
Zip Ties! An important step is to be sure your wires are secured once u r done and not on anything hot or moving parts. Using the same routing areas as Yamaha did for their wires is good to follow. Most from the handlebar area runs into the frame on the Right side and the ones from back of the bike to front down Left side. Be sure the wires from the handlebar speakers retains slack and test as you go movingbtue bars from lock to lock.
Wire Conduit! Looms like most of the wires have a nylon mesh sheath around them. But the speaker wires to not. Some split loom (wire conduit) can be purchased to cover and secure them.