Bored. Wife was out. Took some pics.

F3NIX

So...if I guy was to go ahead and want to paint thier bike...

Do you dip the smaller parts and spray the bigger parts?

Where do u buy the plastidip? Home depot? Or Paint store? Any special info as far prep work?

IanLeMasters

So.
All of it is sprayed. I did all of mine with a rattle can. You can if you have the money buy a kit with a sprayer. This comes with like 2 gal of dip and a sprayer and some other stuff. It's not terribly exp. the sprayer is like 150. Go to www.dipyourcar.com and take a look around. You can buy everything right there and it costs less than what pep boys has. Which is where I was buying some colors. But not anymore.

I did my bike with 4 cans of camo green and had lots left. However. You really really want to lay down more than that. My 4 coats or so on all the parts was not enough to make peeling as easy as it can be. So I HIGHLY recommend doing a base of gunmetal or corresponding base color to your top coat. This makes durability peel ability go waaaay up. Next go round I will get 8 cans or just order the bike kit with the sprayer.

Prep is super simple. Wash it. Dry it dry it dry it. No wax on it. If you can wait a few hours and let the sun really get it dry. Just wipe it down with a micro after to get any dust off. Remove your parts that need removing. Front, rear fender, air vent cover on the tank, and side pods under the seat. I pulled the tail but you don't have to. And get to spraying. It is very forgiving as far as usability. Just lay thin coats, 50% coverage on each, overlapping each spray by half. (Standard spraying technique)

The blaze colors coverage is shit. You need more to lay a solid color with that and you also want a white base to make it pop. So then you would might want to consider but not have to do 3 colors, gunmetal, white and blaze color.

There are some amazing possibilities with the colors they have been releasing. Def check the web page and watch some videos and soak up some info. It's a really cool product. Hit me up with any q's I'm more than happy to help.

The bike looks awesome, my only concern is I hear the gas tank tends to get messed up fairly quickly due to legs rubbing, do you find this to be the case? How well does the paint hold up in general, ie when would you need to repaint you think? Did you peel off the oem blue stickers before the plastidip also? Thanks

IanLeMasters

The bike looks awesome, my only concern is I hear the gas tank tends to get messed up fairly quickly due to legs rubbing, do you find this to be the case? How well does the paint hold up in general, ie when would you need to repaint you think? Did you peel off the oem blue stickers before the plastidip also? Thanks

Yes the finish where your legs rubs gets scratched. However it has taken 6 months to finally start to peel in a few spots. That is a big however because I did not apply enough dip to make it durable. I ABSOLUTELY recommend laying down a coat of gunmetal before your color. Makes it way more durable as far as the rubbing through. Get a good 4-5 coats on then lay 4-5 coats of color.

For the scratching, you can do a final coat with matte clear or gloss clear dip and that helps quite a bit. (Only tested on my helmet so far)
There is also a brand new product out for dip that is like a wax that you can apply and it pretty much stops scratches.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/Dip-Coat-Spray.html

Hope that helps. Do it! It's a prett cool product and very cheap vs painting.

Yes the finish where your legs rubs gets scratched. However it has taken 6 months to finally start to peel in a few spots. That is a big however because I did not apply enough dip to make it durable. I ABSOLUTELY recommend laying down a coat of gunmetal before your color. Makes it way more durable as far as the rubbing through. Get a good 4-5 coats on then lay 4-5 coats of color.

For the scratching, you can do a final coat with matte clear or gloss clear dip and that helps quite a bit. (Only tested on my helmet so far)
There is also a brand new product out for dip that is like a wax that you can apply and it pretty much stops scratches.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/Dip-Coat-Spray.html

Hope that helps. Do it! It's a prett cool product and very cheap vs painting.

Did you peel off the oem blue stickers or paint over it? Why do you need a base coat of gunmetal, I was debating doing white plastidip, why can't I just do about 5 coats of white? Thanks for your help again!!

IanLeMasters

yeah I peeled all the stickers. WD-40 after to get the glue off.
The white's coverage is bad. like with any white paint. You could theoretically do it without a base but the base does 2 things. Gives you a 100% coverage with a few coats, and makes the dip way more durable. You could do it all in white just buy about double what you need to cover. Like I used 4 cans of camo green and that is a color that is opaque after 2 coats. The other 2 were for thickness and durability. So with white you would probably need 8 cans to cover completely and have durability and easier peeling later. I did not apply enough to the bike and it is definitely harder to peel because it tears into small pieces easier. When I dip my helmet I have 8 coats or more on there and the whole thing peels in one piece.