Blue Loctite on Shogun Sliders???

860Rider

Hi Everyone. Just a quick question. Is BLUE Loctite a No-No for use with Frame sliders? (Shogun in particular) I did a bit of research and from what I can see A Blue threadlocker will not only stop vibrational loosening, but also rust-lock, and galvanic corrosion.

I posted an install vid on my youtube channel and a was met with a friendly comment discouraging the use of it.

"Yamaha Manuel says to put grease on those bolts.... Not Loctite. I'd fix that before you get too many heat cycles with that stuff on there... Steel bolts in aluminum heads is no Bueno"

Can anyone confirm either or? the dealer didn't mention anything about heat being an issue with the Steel vs aluminum. I appreciate any help!

MotoZen

I'm interested too. I put that shit on everything.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

9 Lives

There is no problem using blue Loctite on aluminum. We have been using it for years where I work with 0 issues. According to loctite you are supposed to use a primer with aluminum but we only use the primer on critical fasteners. Don't use red loctite if you ever plan on taking it apart again.

Last edited:

MotoZen

I don't even own the red, but good to know.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

cmurder

Pillion
use blue on everything ,, no issues ever , used blue on my V-Twins as they where notorious for vibrating stuff loose

I would say your good to go, i put some on my t-rex sliders also

krillz

I use blue and red. The red was used from factory and my aluminum plate cover on the rear sets. I removed the cover to paint and it ripped the threads right out of the hole in the rear set . The red is not a good idea on aluminum.

pajkrubi

I just put blue thread locker on my T-Rex frame sliders and spools to help prevent them from vibrating loose.

9 Lives

I use blue and red. The red was used from factory and my aluminum plate cover on the rear sets. I removed the cover to paint and it ripped the threads right out of the hole in the rear set . The red is not a good idea on aluminum.

From the loctite website, FYI if you ever run into this again. This pertains to the red high strength only.

Disassembling requires localized heat (>550°F/260°C), hand tools, and disassembly while hot

krillz

From the loctite website, FYI if you ever run into this again. This pertains to the red high strength only.

Disassembling requires localized heat (>550°F/260°C), hand tools, and disassembly while hot

Thanks, sure wish I had known that.