Bleeding the rear brake....

B

bren

Anyone got any tips on bleeding the rear brake? Have just fitted new brake lines.. Got the front sorted but can't seem to get the back going....

Motogpmad

Have you got some clear pipe that will fit over the bleed nipple and a syringe that will fit inside the clear pipe. That way you can just draw the brake fluid through by pulling on the syringe.

F

Fazed

I bet there is an air bubble in a loop part. Try flicking the brake line with your fingers while bleeding.

B

bren

Nah, don't have that gear motogp..... It's doing my head in lol. Have purged it a thousand times.... No pressure seems to be building...

W

WARPTH

buy a vacuum bleeder. its the best thing you can ever buy. even when you do your car. you dont need anyone pumping the pedal...
also, when you say you cant get the back going. whats it doing?

ssky0078

I just had new lines installed on my 1. I'm having the same issue, took it back to the shop and they used clear tubing back into an old brake fluid bottle. pump, the brakes, open nipple, repeat, while refilling the reservoir. Got a few more bubbles out.

He said sometimes if you get a bubble somewhere in the system, it may take several times to get all the air out. Also said to check all the connections for any leaks or loose bolts.

H

Hoover

Get yourself one of these:

Mityvac

If not, fill the reservoir to the top and put the cap back on. Put a clear tube over the nipple and into a catch can. Now pump up the pedal vigorously and then quickly open and close the bleed fitting.

If you do this a few times, you may be able to force the trapped air out.

Marthy

You could always use one of those... :D

If you don't have one just keep bleeding. Bleed open at first and keep filling the top can, don't run out of brake fluid. When the bubble are all gone through the clear hose, do a few pressure pump (low pressure)

Never had any issue doing it like this.

D

Deleted member 438

If you don't have one just keep bleeding. Bleed open at first and keep filling the top can, don't run out of brake fluid. When the bubble are all gone through the clear hose, do a few pressure pump (low pressure)

:rof:

ramrod

I swear baby, that sort of thing ain't my bag...

H

Hoover

That took me a minute...funny fucker :tup:

F

Fazed

How did you go? If you don't have that gear it's just perseverance and flicking that line. Did the fronts bleed up fine? If so take it for a ride (nothing high paced)for a couple of kms and use the rear brake for a few applications, being aware that you will have possibly next to no braking capacity. GO back home and instantly go into bleeding the rear. The riding and brake applications may have dislodged that stubborn bubble.

The vac bleeders are a great idea but are hard to find in Oz. Don't bother going to Repco ,Supercheap or anything like it for one. You will need to go to a proper tool shop and even then they may only have one that connects to an air compressor. I got mine off e-bay for around $20.

B

bren

yeah the front ones bled pretty quickly asnd the braking at the front feels pretty awesome now- still havent gotten the back to bleed properly yet- gave up last night lol. will get outside tonight and get it done- i guess it will just take a while..... the red lines look awesome fitted!

F

Fazed

yeah the front ones bled pretty quickly asnd the braking at the front feels pretty awesome now- still havent gotten the back to bleed properly yet- gave up last night lol. will get outside tonight and get it done- i guess it will just take a while..... the red lines look awesome fitted!

Even just leaving it overnight might have shifted the bubble to a more bleedable position. Good luck

B

bren

Even just leaving it overnight might have shifted the bubble to a more bleedable position. Good luck

took it for a quick ride this morning so hopefully she should be all systems go tonight....