Black Hills Motorcycle Rally

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
I had an idea that I would have the only FZ8 in South Dakota. However, I went to Sturgis for the motorcycle rally and saw another one! If you're here, you probably didn't see mine. I walked through Sturgis and rode everywhere else. If anyone else has been to this rally, you can relate to this. For those who haven't: The roads in the black hills are simply amazing. Even the state highways, most of which throughout the country are long and straight, are loads of fun. Two roads in particular should be on the list of the top 10 motorcycle routes in the world. The Iron Mountain Road and Needles Highway will make you remember why you bought a motorcycle. If you live around there, you know what I mean. If you don't, you should get your bike there as soon as possible. I'll report on Deal's Gap in a few months....

lothodon

Super Moderator
Went in 95 on my Harley, best vacation ever. Rode so much I didn't want to sit on the bike for weeks afterward. Also hit Devil's Tower as well. Spearfish Canyon was amazing as well.

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
First thing I did when I got home was wash the bike, re-wax the chain, and go for a ride on boring FL roads :)

lechi542FZ8

I live in South Dakota and ride an FZ8. There are several in this state for sure. But you are right about the rides in the Black Hills.

SpunkyTheTuna

I was passing through Sturgis a few years ago on my way to Seattle and I managed to hit the place on the week end before the rally. It was perfect. My campsite was dirt cheap, all the vendors were already there, and the amazing and beautiful roads were almost empty. I left on Sunday and that night my campsite went from like $25 a night to something like $100 a night. For once in my life my timing was perfect.

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
Nice. Which campsite did you use? Mine was $15/night during the rally, but it was 20 miles outside of Sturgis. Also, did you ride all the way to Seattle? If so, you must have ridden the Goldwing.

Satan666

3-Minute Year

I live on the main highway between Deadwood and the Faces. I measure how big the rally is by how long I have to wait for a break in traffic to exit my driveway. This year things were rather tame - only 3 minutes.:)

SpunkyTheTuna

Nice. Which campsite did you use? Mine was $15/night during the rally, but it was 20 miles outside of Sturgis. Also, did you ride all the way to Seattle? If so, you must have ridden the Goldwing.

I stayed right downtown, just off the interstate. Don't recall the name of the campground, but it's a full-time campground, not somebody'd side yard or something.

In those days I rode a Softail Harley. At the time it still had a springer front end. I hadn't traded it out for legs from a TL1000 and custom trees yet. Used to ride that bike from Florida to western Illinois just outside of St. Louis for a party every summer. Rode it out to Seattle and blew it up, then went through a Honda 919 and the Gold Wing while I was there. By the time I got back to Florida for keeps Stokely, that Harley, had grown a 113" engine and the semi-sportbike front end and a hand shift/hydraulic foot clutch conversion that I built. Still got Stokely. Sitting on a lift in my garage awaiting his latest incarnation at the moment.

TL:DR - Don't remember, and nope.