Bike won't start?!?

Berezniak32

Okay so I just bought a 2013 fz8 a few weeks ago, only has 720. The stock exhaust wasn't loud enough for me so I bought a vance and Hines csone. I installed it myself everything was fine for a few days. Went into my garage to start it up and nothing. Battery isn't dead and it will still turnover it just won't start up. Ideas as to why? Did this exhaust somehow change the engine compression? I have very mechanical knowledge of bikes so any ideas would be helpful thanks.

Keach

I can not imagine the exhaust is causing the bike not to run. I'd look into simple things like the kickstand switch, battery, spark, fuel. If the bike is still under warranty bring it to them before digging too far into it. I have had no problems and have put multiple exhausts on my bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackfin

You might try removing the plugs and checking them; if they're soaked in gas, clean and dry them; while they're out, you might check for spark...

If you're not comfortable pulling the plugs, try cranking the engine with the throttle wide open. On most FI systems (not sure about Yamaha) this is a clear-flood mode where the injectors are shut off to help pump just air through the engine to vaporize any excess fuel in the intake tract and combustion chamber. If it begins to show life, release the throttle to turn the injectors back on and see if it starts.

If it was running fine and then suddenly won't start a trip to the dealer may well be in order...

Sinooch

I know when i got my 2013 i had lots of trouble with the kickstand almost to the point that i took it to the dealer up until i realized what it was. just make sure your not in gear or hold the clutch in. But most likely if none of the other suggestions work then definitely have the dealer solve the issue

bpassmore8

I would think that if it were the kickstand switch it would start in neutral at least and should still start with the clutch in. Just a thought as something to rule out but I don't have the mechanical knowledge to offer any places to start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 Lives

The key here is that it is turning over, that automatically rules out the kickstand switch, kill switch and clutch switch all of which stop the starter from engaging. It only has 720 miles, straight to the dealership if it were me.

Berezniak32

Took it to the dealership today I couldn't figure out the problem... I'll post what they say the issue was when I get the bike back

TorontoAlex

I've had an issue where I tried starting it in gear, then a duhh moment realized it needed to be in neutral. Then for some strange reason it was turning over but not starting. Held the starter button down for 10 seconds about 5 times and finally she putted and sputtered to life. Weird. Only happened once since new. Dealer said it happens all the time on snowmobiles and most likely a bad regulator rectifier or solenoid. Says they sometimes act up in the cold. Mine has been fine ever since.