Bike too hot to ride

bikee4

Not really trying to be an ass but it sure seems more like buyer remorse than a real problem...or perhaps a troll?

9 Lives

How do you know that there isn't something actually wrong with her bike? IMO, she came on here to ask for help and you're the one who comes off as an a$$ by being condescending and not saying anything productive at all.

EDIT: I actually found your original post amusing and her retort even more so. Then your comment above seemed like you're the one who got his panties twisted. I apologize if I read into any of that incorrectly.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

I agree, there has been a few treads about the amount of heat coming off this bike in hotter climates, its not just someone whining. Ppl are putting welder blankets on their bike to help with the heat issue, are they just whiners too? I welcome any heat coming off my bike in the climate I live in.

nath180

It has been pretty warm here of late, here in Canberra especially. My bike has been around 80 degrees in this hotter weather, bumping higher when in traffic.

Can you feel airflow around the tank at speed, or does the fairing push away most of the air?

Last edited:

qnbee

It has been pretty warm here of late, here in Canberra especially. My bike has been around 80 degrees in this hotter weather, bumping higher when in traffic.

Can you feel airflow around the tank at speed, or does the fairing push away most of the air?

Can feel hot airflow all around at 85 deg and above, at any speed, whether it be in traffic or on the fwy

Ive been trawling through a lot of the FZ1 forums and it appears that 80% of ppl have had this exact problem so it's not just me having a supposed "whine", problem has been masked so far with a sheepskin throw over just to block the heat in the interim, works great and is really comfy too.
Soon I'll be pulling the bike apart with a few mates and lining it with heat reflective tape which racers use, seems everyone I have spoken to, this works a treat and is very effective in reflecting the heat to go under the seat and out the back

Will soon be a happy camper once again :)

efzate

I totally agree with the heat problem qnbee and have had the same issue after getting my 2013 FZ8. Having taken it to the the dealer while the yamaha rep was onsite I was basically given the response that bikes get hot. The whole venting seems to not be great to pull the heat through the motor and out the back while in motion. If I recall correctly, standing still the infrared thermometer was reading at about 140 deg F on the frame just below the seat. Fan and temperature readings all seem to be ok. Having said that, standing still not not really the problem since even while on the highway I have to push my legs away from the tank (which takes a little effort as my legs rest on the tank without effort) to get some airflow through and cool my legs in any temperatures above about 75 deg F. Trying the heat shield is next on my list to see if it makes a difference……...

RD GUY

Im baffled this bike has been out since 2011 and all of a sudden a women rider complains there is a heat problem? and every one has one I myself have never noticed the heat and I wear full gear .

qnbee

Im baffled this bike has been out since 2011 and all of a sudden a women rider complains there is a heat problem? and every one has one I myself have never noticed the heat and I wear full gear .[/QUOT]

Regardless of my gender, this is a problem with the 2013 FZ8 and FZ1 so I'm finding the more Forums I go on, ok maybe not everyone's but they are out there. Hell even Yamaha Australia have admitted it's a design flaw, so it's not just a woman having a so called whinge ffs, so pull ya head in you sexist male!

qnbee

I totally agree with the heat problem qnbee and have had the same issue after getting my 2013 FZ8. Having taken it to the the dealer while the yamaha rep was onsite I was basically given the response that bikes get hot. The whole venting seems to not be great to pull the heat through the motor and out the back while in motion. If I recall correctly, standing still the infrared thermometer was reading at about 140 deg F on the frame just below the seat. Fan and temperature readings all seem to be ok. Having said that, standing still not not really the problem since even while on the highway I have to push my legs away from the tank (which takes a little effort as my legs rest on the tank without effort) to get some airflow through and cool my legs in any temperatures above about 75 deg F. Trying the heat shield is next on my list to see if it makes a difference……...

The heat shield I'm learning is turning out to be a huge hit, although one guy said he used cardboard to wrap the heat film in which I won't be doing, I'll be using some form of metal moulding as I'm not keen on putting something as flammable as cardboard in a hot situation. Will let you know the outcome once done. In the meantime I'm using a sheepskin under my legs and it's working brilliantly. Temperature of the bike 101 deg C today and in 37 degree heat and I barely felt any heat :D

NoNine4me

Im baffled this bike has been out since 2011 and all of a sudden a women rider complains there is a heat problem? and every one has one I myself have never noticed the heat and I wear full gear .[/QUOT]

Regardless of my gender, this is a problem with the 2013 FZ8 and FZ1 so I'm finding the more Forums I go on, ok maybe not everyone's but they are out there. Hell even Yamaha Australia have admitted it's a design flaw, so it's not just a woman having a so called whinge ffs, so pull ya head in you sexist male!
Been riding 30 years and had all kinds of motorcycles. FZ8 is unremarkable with respect to heat generation as far as I am concerned. But women as we may have noticed are built different than men and tend to have more sensitive skin. Thus this complaint is not imaginary but not common. I have always worn leather pants and jacket, or if not, high quality tech gear. If the OP stated she wears jeans when riding, well, that's a big factor. Some people, however, hate wearing thick clothing that does not breathe. Harley riders particularly seem to hate wearing much protective gear and love the deafening noise and parching desert heat. I rode Harleys for several years and the big one can churn up more heat than our FZ8 ever thought of.

So work on an engineering solution based on better apparel and some kind of non-flammable shielding. Once in a while we have to get creative as one size does not fit all.

TorontoAlex

I found my bike super hot when I first bought it. I had some hot days in July and in traffic the heat bothered me at the front of the seat where it meets the tank. It went away but then again the weather got cooler so maybe it's only a problem in hot climates.

Neil69

Hi!; I 've just got an FZ8 2012, farely new only 3000 km ,..previously I had an FZ6 N, for 5 years ,..I bought the FZ8 in a city 400 KM away from my town, so I pick her up and ride to my town, (nice freeway), but, after 30 min riding I start to feel tremendous heat on the seat, =( , nothing compare with riding on FZ6!!!, ...heat was so high that I had to seat on the passenger sat! =O ... i understand your frustration!!!, I feel the same! ... I live in Mexico, environment temperature was 32 °C degrees, motor temperature not pass of 99°C but seat was burning!!!!...

stormin1

Heat

No probs here, best get someone to look at it never experienced unbearable heat as I would expect it to boil and indicate on the temp gague:confused:

Bagman

On my Fazer8, the fans kick in at 100c.

My previous bike was a Ninja500. Although both bikes are a similar half-faired style, the Ninja500 is a Parallel Twin. Most certainly going from the 500 to a modern, compact, larger 800cc inline4 engine, I definitely feel the heat off this bike. I never felt heat coming off the 500.

I recall last summer when I went for a ride on one of that season's hottest, most humid days. I got stuck in stop-n-go traffic on the highway. I remember getting home and noticing my inner thighs were red. Just like I mild sun-burn. That was hot! However, it was not as unbearable and dangerously hot (burning) as you describe. Most definitely, the frame nearest the engine does get too hot too touch, but I've never had the problem of not being able to ride because it's dangerously hot.

Funny story - the two times I ever wore shorts were with my older Ninja500 and BOTH times I burnt my legs on the bike's exhaust pipes. LOL! I swear it was Baby Biker Jesus warning me about shorts... Never again.