Bike knocked over!

Hereward

Well the FZ8's been raped by a dragstar.......guy at the bike club managed to drive into my bike and flip the thing off it's stand and on the floor on it's right hand side! Before I go on, I was in the pub and he came and told me after picking it up and is paying for all the damage out of his own pocket so there was no real need to kill him LOL

The damage

Rear peg scuffed
front peg mauled
rear brake lever bent
bars bent
bar end trashed
wing mirror snaped
exhaust scuffed and dented

Straightend the brake pedle myself and orderd all the Yamaha bits from Yam, £170 worth.......the exhaust however will wait a week as it's a carbon Akrapovic and weighs in at £460.......

Ive striped the bars off and the footpegs ready for the new stuff which should be here on tuesday. I rode the bike back after it's tumble and apart from the slightly bent bars it was fine.

I don't have crash bungs on the bike and was expecting the worse but the tank, engine, swingarm, rear panels, indicators (mini LED's) and frame are unmarked, in fact myself and Yamaha were suprised at how little damage had been done! The exhaust and bar end seemed to have kept the bike of the floor!

Had to cut the old grips of the bars to remove them and I've just picked up some MOTOHART XLR8 grips, with aliminum rings at both ends of the grips. For those looking at changeing grips the dimensions are 22-25mm diamiter, 125mm lengh with open ends. prety much standard size.

Blonde moment.......I striped the bars of the bike then sat looking at it wondering how adsactly I was going to get it back in the workshop LOL

Hereward

Ok so the bits arived today! Oh no Yamaha are doing the Ducati thang!
A few issues, orderd the rear footpeg......and thats what I got, the spindle, spring, ball bearing, notch plate and the split pin you need to order seperately.......no problem, have the originals............Next up, the Bar end........yeah, got it, but you need to order the bolt that holds the bar end seperatly! This was a bit more of an issue but I managed to straighten the original one and use that.......or rather I didnt.........You see the bars, now they have a rubber gromet with a nut inserted in the center at either end.......to screw the bar ends into......well yeah, you guesed it you need to order them seperatly as well.......and glue them into place! At £12 each I'm currently choping the old bars open to retreive the old units!........

Now ok you might say, if you ask for a hammer and then complain the nails didn't come with it your a bit of an idiot.........Well I took the bike to Yamaha and they made the list of the bits I needed and they orderd them...........To say I'm a bit cheesed of with my local dealer is an understatement!

Anyway, Good news, everything is back on except the bar ends and I've taken her out for a spin and everything seems straight and true with the front end now :) In fact the bike is now back to as it should be bar the slight scuff on the pipe (next job)

Hereward

Just done 1 bar end..........the ruber part I said was glued in.........no it has a metal sleeve, it's frozen and pressed into the end of the bar.......managed to cut one out of the old bar, freeze it down and HAMER it into the new bars, the second dosn't seem to want to leave the old bars just yet so it's sitting in the freezer......why wouldn't Yamaha fit these automaticaly to a new set of bars?

Ok I've just given up smokeing and am useing e- cigerets instead......As the great man said in the aeroplane movies......."I picked a bad day to give up smokeing, crack, pcp, ect ect ect"

D

Deleted member 438

I don't get how the freezer is helping to get them out? I tried getting mine out to install some bar end mirrors and I ended up giving up.

Hereward

Cool them down and the shrink just enough to get them free. Getting them in is easier than removeing them, I basicy had to cut the ends of the old bars, put them in a vice a knock them out from the inside with large hamer and a bar........it wasn't a prety sight LOL