Best way to hard wire a gps?

schmittz

Pretty much as the title says, looking to harwire my gps in so that it only gets power when the ignition is turned on..

Perron

Run a 12v outlet to the front of the bike. Use a relay and tap trough something that only work when the bike is on (like the headlight, tailing, cluster, etc).

I want to do this put I didn't find where to put de outlet to be easily accessible yet

thach1130

tap the line goes to the low beam going to the headlight. It's only on when you started the bike. If you're afraid of too much power draw breaking a fuse (unlikely if only powering headlight and GPS) you could wire a relay to the battery and use the same headlight tap for the trigger. That way only minimal power draw is used to engage the relay which send power straight from the battery.

Perron, you beat me to it. They sell handlebar mounted 12v accessory socket. It's what i have on my bike.

Perron

Your explanation was better tough :p

I might go with the handlebar mounted socket this summer, but I wanted to put it near the ignition (hide it a bit). I think the way you did it is the best. Do you have a picture? The socket I found seems quite big

MotoZen

I ordered a hardwired 2A micro-usb cable from eBay. I wired that to a terminal strip which was fed from a relay and mounted everything under the seat. So basically, battery --> relay --> terminal strip --> multiple accessories. And since it was more local, I trapped the relay into the feed to the tail light.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

schmittz

I ordered a hardwired 2A micro-usb cable from eBay. I wired that to a terminal strip which was fed from a relay and mounted everything under the seat. So basically, battery --> relay --> terminal strip --> multiple accessories. And since it was more local, I trapped the relay into the feed to the tail light.

Thats exactly what I bought, I think haha its a hardwire usb kit and waterproof case.

MotoZen

Thats exactly what I bought, I think haha its a hardwire usb kit and waterproof case.

Yup, it works great and I don't have any extra plugs or adapters. The wire snakes up under the bars and lands directly under my $6 eBay phone mount.

thach1130

Perron said:
Do you have a picture?

I actually had to buy two of them to have the setup i liked. The one i used now i had to get from amazon. It terminate to a battery tendet plug and the wires is long enough to reach the compartment in the tail. So when the bike is stored the battery tender connection is used to float charge the battery and when i ride the plug provide connection to the 12v accessories socket. I had bought another 12v socket which came with clamp for the handlebar.

I do like the usb solution. A lot tidier.

Last edited:

Perron

I actually had to buy two of them to have the setup i liked. The one i used now i had to get from amazon. It terminate to a battery tendet plug and the wires is long enough to reach the compartment in the tail. So when the bike is stored the battery tender connection is used to float charge the battery and when i ride the plug provide connection to the 12v accessories socket. I had bought another 12v socket which came with clamp for the handlebar.

I do like the usb solution. A lot tidier.

It looks like a pretty clean setup. However, I might go with the usb socket too because all I want is the plug my smartphone (GPS).

I will need my RAM x-grip holder first :p

MotoZen

I use my phone as my camera so I don't have a picture with my phone mounted, but here is a quick picture that I took after the install.

schmittz

Its kinda a universal kit for garmin gps' it has a soft water(resistant?) case which snaps onto the handle bar mount. Anybody have a link to some wiring diagrams??

MotoZen

I basically followed the stock wiring harness under the gas tank and the air box and then up behind the headlight. When running the wires, I used some thick (14 Gage?) wire and actually feed that from above the airbox, and poked out through from front to back, then I used that to tape the actual charger wires to it and pull it through. If I were to do it again though, I would just take off the tank and airbox and route everything underneath. It's actually really easy to take the tank off as long as you're low on fuel.

MotoZen

This is a basic wiring diagram of a relay itself:

csgasbart

I have direct wired my TomTom to the license plate light. But I was replacing the light at same time so was logical.
Switches sat nah on and off with ignition :)

Sebastian f7

I did a power distribution block on both mine and the wife's bikes. I used a relay stuck right behind the battery on the positive side. Relay powered by license plate light and 16 awg power running to accessories. I used 10 to power and ground the block. I grounded accessories separately so I didn't use a bus bar for ground.

schmittz

All I did was hook +to + and -to -. Works great, gps is ancient, but it'll still save my ass on mountain roads. No problems with the battery going dead either..