Be one with your brakes

gearjunky13

I only posted this because no one else has posted hear yet, but any ways to make it a actual topic i find a good riding technique is a ballanced braking of the rear and front brake,

and the only reason i say this is i know a fue people that eather use just the front or rear brake almost all of the time, now normaly this wouldent matter but if you dont get into a habbet of using both brakes together on a regular basis you might not be pron in a hevy braking situation to use both brakes when you realy need to stop fast.

We all know the front brake gives you the most stopping power on good pavment and the rear will stop you with more stibility and control, mostly proven on loose ground but together you can get the max braking out of your bike and maybe save you from an accident.

Now i have only ridden street for a fuw years but if off road riding teaches you anything, its that proper braking can mean the difrence between a good day and a bad one,

so a good thing to practice is hevy braking with both brakes together with out skidding the rear tire while mantaning a good steady pressure to the front brakes Like a car would. If you have ABS on your bike this will be alot more easy

Last edited:

highoctane

Canyon Carver
I dont know why someone would just use one or the other especialy on the street. I try to apply a little more pressure on the front brake but balance it out with the rear. interested to hear what others do.

SpunkyTheTuna

Not to be a grammar nazi, but here's some punctuation. Might want to use them to make your posts easier to read.

??????????????????????????????????????????
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're welcome.

gearjunky13

Ya ya i wrote it on a ipad and im not one to use much grammer in my post any ways, but i will try to be better with it in the future

H

Hoover

I use a ton of rear brakes when I am riding hard. This bike is so light that when you are really pushing it, you can stomp on the back brake and break the rear end loose and power slide it through the corners on full throttle.

However, when the wife and I are off to the grocery store or the mall, front brake only, nice and gentle.

gearjunky13

Normaly Your fine to use ether one individually and i definetly can give respect to the power slide, but i think if you were a dirtbiker befor you got a bike on the street i would be willing to bet most would be pron to only use the rear brake in a hard stop, my theory is that when your off road you cant trust the front brakes as much as the rear in loose sand and graval because it will, if you use them to hard slide out from under you, and this is ware alot of novice off roaders kinda opt out of ever using the front brake, so when you start going oon road you got to learn to use both brakes.

C

calscrazy

i am a heavy front braker. i only use the rear if i enter a corner to hot and need to scrub speed mid way through. i will also use it in emergency situation.

hypo

I balance my braking fairly evenly and wish that I had some experience in the dirt. However my experience with cruisers is that the rear brake has less braking power, so its more of a balancer for the fronts. and by less braking power I mean it doesn't get good grip for a solid reliable braking. sure the wheel will stop moving, and then you start sliding which isn't always desireable.

gearjunky13

The thing about off road is you do the compleat opposit then on road, in dirt the rear brake is your go too brake and you fether the front brake, and on street you manly use front and fether the rear, but it still its all about the ballance of front and rear together depending on the serface your on. With the fz8 i would say 90% of you wont see off roading with this bike so its safe to assume that the gole for a hard stop for this bike is like 80-90% front and 10-20% rear brake on smooth dry pavement, but that changes with the conditions of the road, the shotest stop you can get is dependent on the road your on and your ability to not skid your tires but still mantane controle without letting off the brakes,

Speedo007

I use the rear brake more when I have a passenger as it reduces some weight transfer. I still use it all the time though, just less when I'm solo. I did avoid a deer last summer with heavy breaking both rear and front as hard as I could without losing it and agree with the importance of getting to know your brakes well cause when it happens, its all about conditioned reflexes. If you don't have the experience, the reflex will tell you to lock both wheels...and thats not good.

gearjunky13

I use the rear brake more when I have a passenger as it reduces some weight transfer. I still use it all the time though, just less when I'm solo. I did avoid a deer last summer with heavy breaking both rear and front as hard as I could without losing it and agree with the importance of getting to know your brakes well cause when it happens, its all about conditioned reflexes. If you don't have the experience, the reflex will tell you to lock both wheels...and thats not good.

A verry true statment, braking in general is easy but when things go wrong you need to stop yourself from just grabbing a fist full of front brake and digging your right foot into the pavement, you need to adjust for conditions and wheel slip, its not easy.

I have been riding on the street for over 25 years. When I first started I used allot of rear brake coming from the dirt. In the dirt you can use the rear brake to slide into a corner and it set you up good for the exit. In the canyons I tend not use the rear brake especial when there is dirt/gravel in the road. When I use the rear brake the most (at least cover the rear brake lever the most) is when I am splitting traffic. Anyone who has spent anytime splitting traffic on the 405 in L.A. knows you are going to need all the braking you have. That and cat like reflexes (I hate splitting traffic in L.A.)

mano1192

The MSF says that only professional riders have the muscle memory reflex to use both brakes at the correct ratio during an emergency stopping situation and everyone else just locks up one brake - the one there are used to using most. Im from dirt and tht used to be my rear, which is worthless on the street as 70% of your braking comes from the front. I had to retrain myself to use the front in case of emergencies. When you have an emergency stop do not worry about using both, just use the front and your ass will thank you for it!

In normal conditions I do use both, in twisties I will use the rear when pushing wide in corners to shave and tighten my line as the front will put you on your ass. There are many techniques to useing each brake in different circumstances and I would recommend everyone to go read a book by a pro racer for technique, if using proper technique even at low normal speeds it can help save your life someday.

edit- also know your staging for the front brake. Stage 1 - Stage 3 is what I use and i practice stage 3 every day to see how fast I can stop and to improve technique there. I also would highly recommend everyone to change out their shit ass stock brake lines. I got the 50-50 carbon / ceramic from Fren Turbo and it went from a mushy fucking mess to a solid instant stopping machine!

Last edited:

Speedo007

The most important is to understand the feedback the bike is giving you. When you lock one wheel you feel the bike swerving and you know you need to release some pressure. A few years back I even locked the front wheel on a deserted highway on purpose to see how it would react (not that I recommend trying this) but once you see how it reacts you realize normal human reflexes are fast enough to let go so the wheel gains grip again, unless you're in total panic and just hold a hand full thinking you have ABS :p But I agree that if you don't have enough experience, you can't go wrong with focusing just on the front brake (if trying to work both at the same time will mix you up), that's really where most of the work is done. The ideal is really to practice in a deserted parking lot, put frame sliders and see how your bike reacts under heavy breaking.

H

Hoover

I commented earlier in this thread about rear braking during spirited riding, now the topic has switched to emergency/panic braking.

Back when I was much younger and waaaay more foolish, I was riding too fast for conditions and too fast for the enviroment I was in.
A van pulled out infront of me as I was ripping through a city street (not his fault).
The only reason I am still alive today is I am a rear braker. Using nothing but instinct, I stomped on the rear brake pedal, got the bike into a slide and laid it down. End result, I slid under the van, which stopped dead when it saw me coming, and got a little messed up. Bike totalled, me alive but hurting.
Had I hit that van, which I would of done, even with max front/rear braking, I would not be here..no doubt.

If you look at some of the best drivers/riders in the world today, almost all of them have off-road, karting experience, which teaches the importance of rear control.

I am not even close to any of those pros, but I do understand and use the principle.

Again, in everyday riding, front 75%, but when you start to push, you had better cover your rear!

Speedo007

True that rear break IS important, was just saying that for a beginner that doesn't master it yet, in a panic stop, better to just use only the front then to get the rear sliding. In your case I believe it saved you, but just like in some cases some people not wearing a seat belt survive a car crash while they would have been killed had then been wearing it. In most cases, putting the bike on it's side won't increase your chances of walking away. That said, I truly encourage people to use rear brake all the time and practice, practice, practice. Cause the MSF course is really just an appetizer. You'll only know how good you are at emergency brakings when you're in a real life situation that requires it (and as we all know it's not a matter of if, but when). And the more practice you have under your belt, the better are your chances. I've ridden about 100000km in the past 5 years and I can recall at least 3 situations where proper control saved me a lot of pain (like deers crossing, a moose, even a turtle...)

mano1192

Moose and freaking turtles!! Im glad I live in Vegas were the only thing that may dart into my path would be the occasional bum :)

H

Hoover

Our biggest threat here on the twisties are.....FARMERS :mad:
Most of the farms in Wisconsin, and there are thousands of them, have fields on both sides of the road and farmers frequently herd their cattle across the road at miking time and drive their shit spreaders leaving crap and mud all over the road.