Battery Life........when to replace?

Twiste

Hey all, looking for experience with batteries on the FZ8. Bike starts fine 60 degrees and above but every time I leave the bike alone for 2 or more days and it fall below 55 to 60 I have to get out the charger. After 30 min to a hour shes starts fine. Question is.... is colder weather just a pain when you store you bike outside or do I need a new battery? Bought it in March with 6800 miles on it and it now has 14,600 and I'd bet its the original battery. I'm thinkin its just time to replace but figured I'd see what others experiences are before I bought a new battery. Thinking about one of those new super light ones, Thanks ahead of time!

Peace

Twiste

Its a 2011 and It's most prob the first battery in the bike. I bought it in March with 6800 miles on it. Yea I'm thinking it's time for a new battery, just thought I'd try and see what battery life the FZ8 has.

Fazer 8

Battery's in general last between 2 and 5 years dependent on battery make and usage.

My experience has been that 5 years is probably on the lower end, but then I live in a country where the bike gets parked for nearly 6 months a year and it's cold in the winter - cold slowing the self-discharging and sulfation effects. I had to replace the battery on my last bike, an '02 V-Strom, after "only" 9 years of use.

But yeah, from the OP's description, either something is wrong with the charging system, or the battery is toast. Don't know if I'd go with one of the lightweight lithium batteries, though - they're great for racing but our bikes' charging systems weren't meant for use with such a battery. Not with the potential hassles to save a few pounds, IMO.

Twiste

Got a new battery today, bought a larger one and got rid of the spacer. I'll know this weekend if its cold and works. Cranks much stronger so I think a new battery will take care of it. I live in New Orleans so I ride year round and am usually on my bike 4 plus times a week so sitting isn't a prob. Thanks for the reply's guys.