Bar-end mirror questions

Ivy33

I have a question to all of you that replaced your mirrors with bar-end mirrors. I recently replaced mine and I love them. The problem is that there are two holes where the old mirror stems screwed into.

What do you use to seal them? I'd like to find some black "caps" similar to the silver-colored ones that cover the bolts on the handlebar clamp. Does anyone know where I can get something like that? Otherwise, what can be used to seal them?

D

DJK1505

Couldnt you get10mm allen head bolts from the hardware store, paint the heads, and put them in the holes?

lothodon

Super Moderator
the right hand side is reverse threaded, so finding allen bolts locally will be a pain. i'd look for plastic caps similar to the caps on the handlebar clamp bolts. my local ace hardware has them perhaps you can find some at a hardware store.

hypo

in LOWES and HOME DEPOT they have specialty fasteners in the drawers section of the hardware aisle... they have automotive plastic covers/fasteners to cover little holes sometimes...

Speedo007

Have the same problem, Ive been thinking of using silicon to stick plastic caps I have that fit in the hole, but sure wish I could find bolts instead. Theres a store here that sell only bolts, and when I told him one had to screw counter-clockwise, he said you lost me right there. I looked everywhere online, didnt find anything...Im considering having bolts machined in a shop.

hypo

this is similar to what I was picturing using and suggesting:

H

Hoover

Can you show us some pics of your mirrors, I am contemplating doing it also
Thanx

dec196500

filling the holes

i tapped the left hand thread with a 3/8 -16 tap and put a set screw in it, still have to get to lowes for the 10m-1.25 set screw, this weekend probably

djcecil

i tossed the silver hardware that came with mine and ground down the rings between the clamps making the stock bar ends fit in flush, used the stock bolts with threadlock, if i go down and all goes boom, well that will be a reason for new bars but all is holding up very well and took less time than the time i spent at lowes and home depot looking for the unicorn bolts.