Bar End Mirror Help

VDCOFF

Hey guys, I'm trying to install these bar end mirrors, and the screws that came with them have a diameter too big to thread into the ends of the bars.

I tried using the stock screws and they would work but are too long without the bar ends...and are too short with the mirrors on before the bard ends haha.

I guess maybe a new slightly longer screw from lowe's would work.

I haven't ever done a mod like this before, and I am by no means a motorcycle mechanic...any help is appreciated...here are some pictures...

A

AndyDehnRules

The pictures won't work for me, at work and the firewall blocks em :/

I assume you have a similar setup as me, but what I did was got a longer screw from Ace Hardware and just popped it on the end of the bar-end weight. Just bring the original bolt with to verify the thread and get long enough to go all the way through the bracket and the weight. Some other options would be machining the bar-end to fit your bracket, buying an after-market one that fits the bracket, or buying a weight with the little arm build into it.

Hope that helps, the simple and cheap solution is a longer screw!

kurtmorauer

i had to shorten the mirror adapters with mine. I had the CRG mirrors though. It took 3 minutes with a dremel tool. I had to shorten them because they wouldnt go into the end of the bars. maybe that would help

VDCOFF

went to lowe's today and grabbed some longer screws, they worked perfect...everything is tightened down and good to go!!

e11charlie

So I broke down and went bar end mirror. Tired of almost sideswiping cars because I can't see shite. Got longer bolts and a thick rubber o-ring to go in-between the bar end and the mirror. Still don't completely like the bar end mirror look, but other than sticking mirrors on my helmet like a bicyclist I think it's my only option. They might grow on me.

JSP

Administrator
I absolutely loved the bar end mirror. I could see SO much more area behind me and I only had 1 mirror.

VDCOFF

Standing out in the man room staring and the look is already growing on me.

I love the look, I knew right away they were the mirrors I was going to go with. I couldn't stand the stock mirrors.

I rode the bike the day I put them on I believe and the field of view is awesome, I can see directly behind me its great, I love them.

adams614

Pillion
I guess up here in VT Lowes carries a smaller selection of hardware. Off to Fastenal or Grainger on Tuesday. Love the look and without the stockers the bike looks even more menacing. Plus as others have said they actually give you a better rear view.

adams614

Pillion
I ended up finding the longer bolts at Fastenal. The field of view is astounding. The look is growing on me with the cheap mirrors. Definitely nice to get the stock mirrors off. Only note I would make is that I had to put a few stainless steel washers on the my right (throttle)bolt as by the time you tighten everything down it was pinching the throttle so that it would work properly. Put some washers in there to space it out a bit and its perfect.

F3NIX

I have the crg arrow mirrors. I bought the adapters and removed the factory inserts. I absolutely love the bar end mirrors. Looks, function, everything. Highly recommend.

sent from my FZ8 whike driving 100mph...using tapatalk2

Blanchy

I have FZ8 bars and bar ends on my bike. I had the bar ends machined down so that my bar end mirrors would mount to them. best thing I did for the mirrors.

decooney

YES - Bar End mirrors work really well.

To: anyone who is struggling with the idea of converting from standard to bar-end mirrors, read on.

When I started my bars & mirrors project, I was NOT a big fan of the look of these type mirrors hanging off the ends, but I tried it anyhow. Now after two weekends of long rides in the Northern California mountains and twisties with a group of friends, i'm now 100% convinced, this is the only way to go (on the FZ8) if function is your first priority like it is for me. Update: I would never go back to the stock mirrors now after using this setup. My handlebars are 2" wider and the bar end mirror adapters mount to the end of the bars. I adapted the stock bar end weights to the end of the adapters.

Thanks to all before me for your feedback on bar end mirrors. Works great!

DSmith

If I wanted to put some RideIt bar end mirrors on and keep my stock bar weights, what length bolt should I get? Is there any other hardware I'd have to buy?

vibhubithar

So I broke down and went bar end mirror. Tired of almost sideswiping cars because I can't see shite. Got longer bolts and a thick rubber o-ring to go in-between the bar end and the mirror. Still don't completely like the bar end mirror look, but other than sticking mirrors on my helmet like a bicyclist I think it's my only option. They might grow on me.

I am going to try this, can you tell how long of a screw you have to buy from Ace

Also in the pictures there is a rubber ring inside expandable clamp. Do you have to buy them too?