aux LEDs

SeñorJack

El Guapo
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a small bright LED that I can incorporate into the vents on the tail section of the 8. I am looking for a single diode that is bright, weather resistant, and compatible for the dc12v circuit.

does anyone here have any ideas? this is my first attempt at some "custom lighting". I want to be more visible and comply with CA state law of having your front and rear signals have 9" between them

also, i think they need to be amber. anyone care to chime in? :)

rcs530

I used these in the stock mirrors for turns signals. They are blindingly bright when you look directly at them, and still pretty bright off to the side a bit. I put 9 in each mirror with a 470 ohm resistor is series with each one to get them to work on 12 volts.

Choosing the right resistor is key for getting them to work on 12 volts, you need to calculate the current running through the LED. Mine say the LED has a 2 volt drop across it, and is rated for 20 mA continuous current.

A little ohm's law action:

13.5 volts - 2 = 11.5 volts
11.5 volts / 470 ohms = 0.02447 A = 24.47 mA

I'm a little over the continuous current rating but I think it'll be ok. I'm assuming the bike is at about 13.5 volts when running.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Knows-Electronics-Yellow-Series/dp/B003N404UQ/ref=pd_sbs_indust_1]Amazon.com: Joe Knows Electronics 5mm Clear Yellow LED (25 Pack) HQ Series: Everything Else[/ame]

Last edited:

Emohawk

Would a cheap/small LED flushmount signal do the trick? You could just tap in to your tail light. No relay required for that approach. I've been thinking of doing that with the unused turn signal mounts in my R&G plate bracket.

SeñorJack

El Guapo
Would a cheap/small LED flushmount signal do the trick? You could just tap in to your tail light. No relay required for that approach. I've been thinking of doing that with the unused turn signal mounts in my R&G plate bracket.

well i could do that. but heres my dilema- i love the look i have right now. but, in ca your signals need at least a 9" gap between them. so i want to put the directionals in the faux vents in the tail section. that way it waill look the same, but give me a bit more legality and visibility.

are you thinking about putting the flushmounts in those vents? cuz that could be bad ass

Marthy

do you happen to have a picture of what you did with those? is it on your fz6?

Marthy

Tapatak on my Iphone 3 doesn't work great... just turn the screen sideways! LOL

They were easy to install on this FE. I tap the running light into the license plate light since LED doesn't take a lot of juice...

I really like the visibility at night, give you that extra light. If one day for whatever reason your tail light take a dump... you still have something.

SeñorJack

El Guapo
thanks marthy, i love how you are one of the more helpful/active people on the forum and you are currently rocking the fz6! it looks great! this is my setup right now so the led approach you have may not work out the same for me, I have nothing under the tail

View attachment 1675

ive posted this pic ten times haha i need new pics. but anyways see the two little vents pn either side of the tail lights? well I'd like to stick an LED in both vents to use along with my integrated taillight.

really any setup that lets me keep the tail open like that is what im lookin for. i've also though about putting similar leds into my rearsets. but i doubt that would get me out of a fixit ticket :(

Emohawk

well i could do that. but heres my dilema- i love the look i have right now. but, in ca your signals need at least a 9" gap between them. so i want to put the directionals in the faux vents in the tail section. that way it waill look the same, but give me a bit more legality and visibility.

are you thinking about putting the flushmounts in those vents? cuz that could be bad ass

I hadn't even thought of using those vents until I saw your post. If you need more separation it would make for a very clean look. Something custom that would sit flush in that groove would be killer!

I'm using the integrated signals in my Motodynamic tail light. Until someone gives me grief about it I'll stick with that for the signals. The running lights possibility in those vents has me thinking.

Do those vents have any practical purpose or are they purely cosmetic?

SeñorJack

El Guapo
purely cosmetic brotha. no function. well other than to look kick ass.

i think im just gonna order today and hope for the best. I don't really know what I am doing, but no one will let me borrow their shit to practice :)

I should do it soon I am about to send my headlight to rabbitman for a retrofit.

ps check out his work if you havent. he upgrades to projector headlights for poquito dinero. haha maybe I should just send him my tail too and have him get those leds in there !

edit: we can use bad words again! yaaaaay! bitches!

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
SeñorJack said:
purely cosmetic brotha. no function. well other than to look kick ass.

i think im just gonna order today and hope for the best. I don't really know what I am doing, but no one will let me borrow their shit to practice :)

I should do it soon I am about to send my headlight to rabbitman for a retrofit.

ps check out his work if you havent. he upgrades to projector headlights for poquito dinero. haha maybe I should just send him my tail too and have him get those leds in there !

edit: we can use bad words again! yaaaaay! bitches!

Hey, I sent you some stuff in the pm. Looking forward to hooking up that headlight. People are going to be blown away....

I think the flexible LED's would be the way to go.