Article in MCN

FZ1inNH

Administrator
If they are getting 120 bhp out of a sleeved FZ1 motor, why isn't my FZ1 998cc getting more than 132 bhp from the non-sleeved? Hmmmm...... :D

grommit

If they are getting 120 bhp out of a sleeved FZ1 motor, why isn't my FZ1 998cc getting more than 132 bhp from the non-sleeved? Hmmmm...... :D

The UK Yamaha website quotes 150PS that would be at the crank I assume.

grommit

Article does not say very much apart from it will use cheaper parts than the FZ1, for example the radiator guards are bits of pressed metal (like the FZ6) rather than the elaborate affairs on the FZ1. Smaller rotors, although the USD forks look the same they may not have the adjustment of the FZ1. The engine is sleeved down to save money again; no new crank.

Lets hope the final price reflects all this. :scratch:

FZ1inNH

Administrator
Not seeing the new article yet, even searching MCN for FZ8.... nothing with today's date. Do you have a link grommit? Thanks!

FZ1inNH

Administrator
CrazyBiker hit on something... the GEN II is in its fifth year now so it is likely a redesign coming up for 2011 and I am HOPING it will be with the BHP increase and the R1 cross-plane crank. They may also go to the electronic throttle and make it a drive-by-wire bike now that almost all motogp bikes have this tried-true-and-tested.

The new R1 is so linear with no surprises that it is easy to drive without fear. But, that's the problem! It now goes from zero to madness without fear!

grommit

CrazyBiker hit on something... the GEN II is in its fifth year now so it is likely a redesign coming up for 2011 and I am HOPING it will be with the BHP increase and the R1 cross-plane crank. They may also go to the electronic throttle and make it a drive-by-wire bike now that almost all motogp bikes have this tried-true-and-tested.

The new R1 is so linear with no surprises that it is easy to drive without fear. But, that's the problem! It now goes from zero to madness without fear!

Why do you need more power?

grommit

I don't *need* more power. :rolleyes: I need more *linear* power and if it comes with more BHP, then I'm able to load the bike more or tow more without lugging.

You mean more torque at lower revs. :scratch:

Can we have some of these smilies on the FZ6-Forum. :deadhorse:

DavidL19

I agree, I don't think the bike needs more power, but if you are a power guy or gal you can never get too much. I happen to fall below that and I don't care how much power a bike has especially one that already has a decent amount. Anyways, hi, I am David from Chicago. I am new to the forum. I am trying to get riders to post to my online map so when I make more money I can try all of these routes from around the world. So if you got a special route and want to share it please post at allstate insurance route map or allstate insurance moto map. I am an affiliate of allstate and thus I am using their web pages for this project. Thanks everyone.

David Lipsky

CrazyBiker

I don't think the FZ8 will be having the linear power everyone is in search of. If you really want linear power from an I4, you have to dumb it down somewhat like the Bandit 1250 which means end up producing 120bhp not from a 800cc but a 1000cc motor like the current FZ1.

IMO