Anyone leave their FZ8 outside under a cover?

DSmith

I still live at home with the parents. Our only storage is a small shed and its full of my fathers crap. I bought a good Dowco cover that i've been keeping my bike under since May. With another New England winter weeks away i've yet to find an indoor place to store it. Buddies garages are packed. Storage units are big money. Does anyone on here leave their bikes outside during winter?

MotoZen

I'm in PA and this will be my first winter with my FZ8, but I've always used a good Dowco cover on my old Honda and the only thing that ever happened was the 35 year old vinyl seat cover started to split at the seam. I can't say that it was directly related to the cold since it was really old, untreated vinyl, but who knows.

I also try to knock the snow off of it so that it isn't buried in the cold and the sun can help dry it out a bit. I'm not sure if this is really all that helpful, but that has been my experience.

A little off topic, but if you are storing it, make sure to run a good fuel stabilizer through the system so that it doesn't screw anything else up and get a battery tender. I've replaced so many batteries because I still haven't bought one.

I may buy one of the solar battery tenders and run the wire through the "vent" hole in the cover so that I don't have to actually remove the battery.

master paper clip

I may get crap for it but my bikes been outside uncovered since the day i got it last year but then again I ride it everyday all year long

Rotaryknight

I park mines outside right infront of my house with a dowco guardian cover.
I got the bike chained to my stoop. This winter I will probably try and get some wood and styrofoam under the wheels.

MotoZen

I thought about getting a small shed but our home owners association doesn't allow them. How owners associations suck balls

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

DSmith

I thought about getting a small shed but our home owners association doesn't allow them. How owners associations suck balls

[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMTTpi5KmKk"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMTTpi5KmKk[/ame]

97audia4

I'm in PA and this will be my first winter with my FZ8, but I've always used a good Dowco cover on my old Honda and the only thing that ever happened was the 35 year old vinyl seat cover started to split at the seam. I can't say that it was directly related to the cold since it was really old, untreated vinyl, but who knows.

I also try to knock the snow off of it so that it isn't buried in the cold and the sun can help dry it out a bit. I'm not sure if this is really all that helpful, but that has been my experience.

A little off topic, but if you are storing it, make sure to run a good fuel stabilizer through the system so that it doesn't screw anything else up and get a battery tender. I've replaced so many batteries because I still haven't bought one.

I may buy one of the solar battery tenders and run the wire through the "vent" hole in the cover so that I don't have to actually remove the battery.

If you need a storage place for the winter let me know man it can sit right next to my 8 in my spare garage at my house.

MotoZen

If you need a storage place for the winter let me know man it can sit right next to my 8 in my spare garage at my house.

Thanks for the offer! That's mighty decent of you! I plan to ride it as long as possible into the season, but if it gets too cold and I wimp out, I may take you up on that.

MotoZen

I still live at home with the parents. Our only storage is a small shed and its full of my fathers crap. I bought a good Dowco cover that i've been keeping my bike under since May. With another New England winter weeks away i've yet to find an indoor place to store it. Buddies garages are packed. Storage units are big money. Does anyone on here leave their bikes outside during winter?

Sorry, I didn't mean to Jack your thread. Here's a bump to attempt to get it back on topic.

DSmith

Sorry, I didn't mean to Jack your thread. Here's a bump to attempt to get it back on topic.

No worries Zen, I dont mind a thread progressing into another conversation. Thanks for the bump though

charris247

I built a great shed for my FZ8. Set me back $400 for all the materials but I think its worth it to protect my bike.

If you have the space in your parents yard, why not float the idea. Mine was a "bonding" experience with my father. He was more than happy to help.

Last edited:

pigdog

mines in a open car port but ive got a zip-up bag that i drive onto then zip it up. i also use those moisture eliminator cans used for boat cabins & small storage spaces. wipe down all metal surfaces with wd40 on a rag then i put my regular bike cover over the zip-up bag.

randyka

I leave mine outside. I cover it before it rains most of the times, and I put it in a garage in the winter. So far, no problem...no rust...the bike looks like it's garage kept. I take that back. There are very very small minor scratches from stupid mating squirrels.

Last edited:

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
Or, you could just get awesome cold weather gear and ride it! Although, I guess that $400 shed might be cheaper.

goldfz8

i live in nyc and my bike stayed out side through Sandy where trees were coming out of the ground and snow storms i have a picture of my 8 with about 6 inches of snow on it. I only got a cover now because my mom was getting mad such a nice bike is exposed to the elements lmao. Bikes are built to last out side. I purchesed flooded bikes that you just clean out the air box and they start right up. There is no way any one can convince me that you need to store your bike in the winter. I also ride year round