Anyone gone or considered going to a carb set-up?

SD70M2

Drag-Strip addict
Before I get grilled, yes I understand why fuelie's take the advantage in respect to walk out turn key hit button and go but, I also know that a carb will allow more access to an engine's potential power. Guys have been doing it to Busa's for years. I'm asking here before I get into the dirty work of researching specs and prices and so on. And to those also interested I will say this, I'm researching at the moment I haven't decided TO do this but before I trim my secondaries I want to look into this. Any help would be supremely appreciated.

sumitkid123

I'm not gonna lie here. I'v been wondering the same thing also. Would make my bike more unique. I'v also only seen 2 other people on my island and would love to have a one of a kind in hawaii

F

Fazed

I am confused has to how a carb could access more power over an injected setup?

If you do go carb, you will need to get a lower pressure fuel pump.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
I am not sure the price to change to carb set up would be worth the hassle. A carb will not guarantee any performance gain over fuel injection with the right mapping for the best air/fuel ratio. Unique for this bike yes, but going backwards in performance tech.:2cents:

SD70M2

Drag-Strip addict
In tech I agree but in every application I've been in before, even our LS7 corvette we have been able to pull more power going to a carburetor. And as far as cost effective, I stated that I'm looking at this option not planning on this option.

chopstic

In tech I agree but in every application I've been in before, even our LS7 corvette we have been able to pull more power going to a carburetor. And as far as cost effective, I stated that I'm looking at this option not planning on this option.

Fuel injection will always have the advantage over carb setups. Anything you do with a carb, you can do better with the correct F.I. Setup. Everything except uniqueness that is

Marthy

Don't understand why... You can do about anything you can dream of with a PCV once you add up all the widget you want or need. All you can do with a carb is change the jets. No need to pull everything apart. All you need to do is plug the laptop in.

It's like saying you want to change your flat screen TV for a old tube one with the big knob to change channel. (yes, for the young one here... we use to get up to change channel!) LOL

The whole electronic thing can be a bit intimidating at the beginning. But once you get into it it's easy. If you know what to do with carbs... you will no how to do it with laptop.

V

Vapordan

Don't understand why... You can do about anything you can dream of with a PCV once you add up all the widget you want or need. All you can do with a carb is change the jets. No need to pull everything apart. All you need to do is plug the laptop in.

It's like saying you want to change your flat screen TV for a old tube one with the big knob to change channel. (yes, for the young one here... we use to get up to change channel!) LOL

The whole electronic thing can be a bit intimidating at the beginning. But once you get into it it's easy. If you know what to do with carbs... you will no how to do it with laptop.

While he is at it, have him swap out the rear wheel for some wooden ones. They have more bite in the corners!

SD70M2

Drag-Strip addict
Plugging a laptop in isn't so easy for me and dyno's two hours out. No, I'm not going for uniqueness either, I've grown up drag racing and aside from eight miles to work I don't have time for much else,yes most everything I've known has been old tech, no this electronic is not intimidating I'm in the PC generation and here it's just a pain in my backside, either I load it up and run it to a dyno or I add an autotune which would be great if I planned to mod in stages and had a laptop. I'm looking for ease of adjustment, yes PCV is simpler and I'm going to leave it there and haul it to a dyno in April, I was just looking at alternatives.