akrapovic vs. stock with pics

lothodon

Super Moderator
i'm starting this thread in anticipation for the delivery of my slip on today. i'll post some install pics as well as some side by side comparisons of the stock muffler.

the weather in wis. is nasty so riding is out for the day. good timing i guess. i'm also planning on comparing the weights of the two mufflers as well.

pics as soon as it arrives.

trixster8

How about some comparable sound clips? I'd be nice to hear a stock vs Akr. from the same camera and angle.

lothodon

Super Moderator
How about some comparable sound clips? I'd be nice to hear a stock vs Akr. from the same camera and angle.

i'll give that a definite try with my phone and or camera.

at least the sound (or lack of fidelity) will be the same as stock vs. akrapovic.

jhalbri

Ackropovic

I just ordered the carbon fiber ackropovic. According the the website it's almost 7 lbs. less weight than stock and adds almost 4 hp. Can't wait! Hope u like yours!

lothodon

Super Moderator
11 lbs. for factory, 4 lbs. for akrapovic. just weighed them myself. pics soon.

takes all of two bolts to remove the stock muffler. two more for the hanger that isn't used from the back of the passenger peg. muffler clamp with the akrapovic is carbon as well.

pics soon.

lothodon

Super Moderator

Last edited:

lothodon

Super Moderator
it's noticable at idle and sounds very muscle car like while revving. it's too freakin' cold and windy to go for a ride right now so that will have to wait.

instructions are impressive for as simple as the install really is. instructions are for the full exhaust as well. akrapovic includes a sticker sheet, anti-seize compound, and of course all hardware. even got a thick "sharp end" catalog from august 2008 but the pics are still impressive. i think the catalog added a pound to the shipping weight.

i'll be leaving the db killer installed for now, or at least until i can get a ride or two in. if you want pics of anything or have questions shoot me a pm or post here.

i'll add that i don't care for how the front spring clip mounts, as there are two welds on the factory header that cause the ring to go severely out of round and the screw for that clamp is weak at best. i'm not so sure it'll matter in the long run but it felt cobbled.

Last edited:

lothodon

Super Moderator
not for a few days at best. we got hit with a rain/sleet/snow storm during the install and the roads are iced over.

to top it off, even with my vast tool collection i don't have the correct tool to remove the db killer. it's so tight the allen wrench i have won't budge it.

jhalbri

Akrapovic without db killer vid

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p1Dv4YSwXQ]YouTube - VID 20110422 124322[/ame]

lothodon

Super Moderator
i got my db killer out today with the help of my dremel tool. i was a bit nervous firing it up in my garage for fear of upsetting my neighbors but i'm happy to say that without the db killer it FINALLY sounds like a motorcycle.

without the db killer it sounds like i expect it to from day one. i can finally hear the exhaust note over the engine sounds!

mano1192

sweet, I started saving up for mine too! Another dude in Vegas got a fz8 with the pipe and hes also having the dyno commander installed tomorrow. Gunna swing by the yama shop to hopefully here the pipe in person.

bambam

Just got mine in this weekend. I can't wait to put it on this comming weekend. Thanks for the ideas on the dremel, I'll use that to remove the DB killer also.

i got my db killer out today with the help of my dremel tool. i was a bit nervous firing it up in my garage for fear of upsetting my neighbors but i'm happy to say that without the db killer it FINALLY sounds like a motorcycle.

without the db killer it sounds like i expect it to from day one. i can finally hear the exhaust note over the engine sounds!