Akira FZ8 Build

Hey guys I finally starting my FZ8 build that should of started back in 2013. Quick back ground on the build. Back in 2012 I purchased a second FZ8 from a forum member that went down. From what i got out of him he went down pretty hard. He was worse then the bike. I bought the bike about a year after he went down. He was more or less fine. Thank god. I got the bike for I believe 1500 or 2000 bucks do not remember anymore. The bike have just less then 2000 miles and was only missing a tank, some plastics and the lights. Not a bad deal for a bike with a clean title.

This build forum will be mostly picture based feel free to ask questions tho. I try to mention what has been done as it continues.

Here is the start.......

First was to modify a 0 mile 2013 R1 shock to fit the Sataan666 adapter. Also have a racetech 14.3KG spring that has been powercoated candy purple.
7DG_1768.jpg7DG_1770.jpg7DG_1772.jpg7DG_1773.jpg7DG_1774.jpg7DG_1779.jpg

Next was to assemble the main parts. Frame, swing-arm and sub-frame have been powercoated wrinkle black. Rims are candy purple. The chain adjuster is a 4chains racing unit. Very nice quality. Also installed so new tapered stem bearing from all balls racing.
7DG_1781.jpg7DG_1783.jpg7DG_1784.jpg7DG_1786.jpg7DG_1788.jpg7DG_1789.jpg7DG_1790.jpg

Sorry for some pictures being flipped. Here is how she sits for now. 7DG_1798.jpg

Right now I am waiting on smog plates and new plugs to drop engine in.

Bagman

Details on that wheel. Is it just powder coated candy purple, or is that a light-weight worth more than its weight in gold?

Details on that wheel. Is it just powder coated candy purple, or is that a light-weight worth more than its weight in gold?

No its the stocker that was blasted then powercoated. I personally cannot justify 2000 dollar rims from the street. Maybe after mega millions. All in all this whole build including everything should cost about 5000.

SilverSlugger00

Akira FZ8 Build should I assume you enjoy anime sir? I named my bike Nakira after the anime Akira. the N is for thr fat the bike is naked and because I wanted to do a black with red accent paintjob so the opposite if kenadas bike.

BC was here.

alright so I got to finally dropping the motor in today. Motor is stock with about 2000 miles plus or minus 200. Powder coated candy purple same as rims but pictures look a tad different. Also have driven smog plates and new gaskets and hardware for valve cover. Before mounting the motor there are two adjustment screws that need a special Yamaha tool that I could not find so i ended up making one for less then 5 bucks and about 25 mins. Made from flat iron at lowes and bent for leverage and filed to fit screw and into the holes without contacting frame. 7DG_1873.jpg7DG_1875.jpg7DG_1877.jpg

then to actually droping the motor in. Which isnt the hardest thing to do but a pain in the a@# if your by yourself with a floor jack. but over not to bad. 7DG_1893.jpg7DG_1901.jpg7DG_1905.jpg

Sinooch

hey sorry for interrupting the thread, but i didnt happen to run into you around the beginning of august going up on 17 north towards bear mountain did i? it was me and one other fz8 and a random one came out of nowhere and rode with us a little bit up towards bear mountain. just out curiosity was it you?

hey sorry for interrupting the thread, but i didnt happen to run into you around the beginning of august going up on 17 north towards bear mountain did i? it was me and one other fz8 and a random one came out of nowhere and rode with us a little bit up towards bear mountain. just out curiosity was it you?

I don't remember sorry. I do ride up there tho so quite possibly. Did the other FZ8 have a 911 sticker on swingarm?

Sinooch

couldnt say. i think they were wearing one of those mesh armors. and the person i saw was black. No offense just one easy way to determine if it was you. I also saw them pull off into a neighborhood close by rhodes north tavern and came back past us with what i would assume was one of his friends who rode a cruiser/chopper, something along those lines

FZ82011

What you're doing is brilliant, have you got an engineering/mechanic background or just like giving it all a go?

So I finally got some important things done on the bike today. I never thought that mounting the rectifier would be such a pain. Since my bike is a CA bike i have a different and bigger tray assembly. My non-CA tray cam in the other day and tonight got it fitted.

First two pictures are of the CA and Non-CA tray.
7DG_2028.jpg7DG_2039.jpg

Now at this point I have started to trim the Non-CA tray to get a feel of how it will sit.
7DG_2021.jpg7DG_2022.jpg7DG_2023.jpg7DG_2024.jpg7DG_2025.jpg
7DG_2027.jpg

As you can see from one of the pictures I had a little more trimming to do but over all it clears the shock. I have a about a 1/8th inch of clearance which is OK for me. Next pictures are of the tray trimmed and fitted.
7DG_2028.jpg7DG_2029.jpg7DG_2030.jpg7DG_2031.jpg7DG_2032.jpg7DG_2033.jpg7DG_2034.jpg

Attachments

• 7DG_2036.jpg
    7DG_2036.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 100
Last edited: