air box mod

Umyaya

I found a how to instruction walk through of this mod. It looked pretty easy.... is it really that easy?

dtbrown

I found a how to instruction walk through of this mod. It looked pretty easy.... is it really that easy?

Not to bad to do if you have the right tools but it really doesn't gain you much unless you add supporting mods. You lose a little mid range torque and gain a little at the top of rpm. I'd say do it if you plan on exhaust, fuel controller and or ecu flash.

Some will argue do it all day long but if you do a search you'll see people are back and fourth on it.

Umyaya

Right now I have a k and n filter... full akra exhaust with pc5 and autotune. .. and diff sprocket. Think it's worth it ?
Not to bad to do if you have the right tools but it really doesn't gain you much unless you add supporting mods. You lose a little mid range torque and gain a little at the top of rpm. I'd say do it if you plan on exhaust, fuel controller and or ecu flash.

Some will argue do it all day long but if you do a search you'll see people are back and fourth on it.

[]V[]addog

im not going to do this mod... I have a slip on yosh r77 and just got the juice box pro to smooth out the power band and i'm calling it a day power wise. Bike has more than I'll ever need/use already, this is just to make it more buttery!

Looks mods will be coming though now! ha ha.

Woody146

Banned
Yes that easy..multiple ways of doing it..cut whole bottom...cut half the bottom..or drill some holes..I drilled the holes..3 1inch holes..works very nice

Umyaya

Lol how ironic. Right after I do this mod I read a bunch of people online saying keeping it stock is better lol. Oh wells. What exactly are the differences and are they even noticeable?
Yes that easy..multiple ways of doing it..cut whole bottom...cut half the bottom..or drill some holes..I drilled the holes..3 1inch holes..works very nice

NORE

I was kind of skeptical of this mod but I did it and I wish I 've done it sooner. the bike feels stronger, smoother and it has a better tone maybe a little louder but better sound.

Umyaya

I guess I haven't been able to take it out due to rain today. I'm getting up early tomorrow to head to WI before it rains again.. I bet it feels slower because I installed the speedohealer and the speed is now accurate haha!
I was kind of skeptical of this mod but I did it and I wish I 've done it sooner. the bike feels stronger, smoother and it has a better tone maybe a little louder but better sound.

dtbrown

I'm doing a variation of the air box mod. Instead of cutting a huge hole like everyone does I ordered some cheap velocity stacks that will have at least 2.5 times the amount of opening area as the stock opening. I should have it done by Wednesday. Not sure if there will be a gain or not but keeping the velocity stack design while increasing the opening area can't hurt. Of course there will be a lot of variations to length but I'll make it about as long as the stock one.

I'll post some pics when it's done.

Woody146

Banned
I'm doing a variation of the air box mod. Instead of cutting a huge hole like everyone does I ordered some cheap velocity stacks that will have at least 2.5 times the amount of opening area as the stock opening. I should have it done by Wednesday. Not sure if there will be a gain or not but keeping the velocity stack design while increasing the opening area can't hurt. Of course there will be a lot of variations to length but I'll make it about as long as the stock one.

I'll post some pics when it's done.

What stacks? I was gonna get some but then I saw they only make them for the fz1 and that will not fit our throttle body

dtbrown

What stacks? I was gonna get some but then I saw they only make them for the fz1 and that will not fit our throttle body

I'm not referring to the velocity stacks that are on the throttle body. I'm referring to the airbox opening. partsexpress.com sells speaker box ports which are abs plastic velocity stacks. I ordered three different size stacks to see which one I can get to fit with some modifications. I've been making speaker boxes for years and using this site for parts. Should be fun.

Last edited:

dtbrown

@dtbrown sonicelectronix.com is a good place too!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thanks, I've been on that site before too. They have some ports but partsexpress.com has quite a big selection and super cheap. Good recommendation

b-eock

Yeah I use both, and whichever suits my needs, I'll cross order from both for the best pieces and prices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk