agg smog plates

Speedo007

Now I feel kind of dumb...I asked a friend to listen to my bike while I drive by (so hard sometimes when on the bike to know where the sound really comes from), it seems it's the loose chain giving that sound on compression...I knew my chain's good days were over but was waiting for my rear sprocket to arrive...I guess I stretched it's life a bit far...hopefuly when I change the chain and sprockets that annoying sound will go away and I can just appreciate the normal exhaust popping :)

lothodon

Super Moderator
OT kind of: Had a buddy that was convinced his transfer case chain was slipping. Helped (in winter of course) him change it out and it's NOT a clean job. I got underneath his Dodge Ramcharger and noticed all these old running board brackets. I told him he should get rid of them but they didn't bother him like they did me.

Changed the chain, still "rattled". Five hour job laying on my back...GRRR.

A week later he pulled the brackets and the "rattle" went away. Good thing he was a friend or I'd have killed him.

lothodon

Super Moderator
for anyone reading this and thinking of doing it...PICS!

first the plate itself (mine anyway, from a local machine shop selling on ebay)

and the access point. radiator is still plumbed just lowered as much as possible.

lyric911

I was wondering if that's what you meant, but couldn't be sure. Glad you got it sorted out.

Edit: Didn't see there was a new page. Regarding the grey pin, that is.

lothodon

Super Moderator
update: my guess is 90% of my backfiring is gone. it takes a LOT to get it to pop now, very very hard deceleration.

lyric911

update: my guess is 90% of my backfiring is gone. it takes a LOT to get it to pop now, very very hard deceleration.

Nitpick - it's afterfire, not backfire. Backfiring is when the fire goes backwards out the airbox. (Not trying to be a db. Just spreading knowledge.)

Speedo007

Update: it really was my chain making the high pitch crackling sound, once adjusted I now only hear the normal exhaust popping :D Personally inline-4 engines are so smooth if they don't have it they lack character for my taste...

beefcake morris

for anyone reading this and thinking of doing it...PICS!

first the plate itself (mine anyway, from a local machine shop selling on ebay)

and the access point. radiator is still plumbed just lowered as much as possible.

Can you provide the ebay item or seller?

lothodon

Super Moderator
yes. you cannot access the smog plates from under the airbox like most yamaha's. you must drop the radiator (keep it plumbed) and be PATIENT!

vargon09

holy crap you were not kidding. there is NO access to the smog plates from above on the fz8, even with the airbox removed.

i've got the airbox (lower) sitting on my computer desk right now about to mod it since it's out. damn there's a lot of screws holding that thing together.

anyone want pics of the airbox mod?

Yes please!

beefcake morris

Do you just leave white connector unconnected? Also is ther anything on the air box to cap off?

I see a bigger hose with some mesh heat shielding where does that go and un hook from?

Last edited:

lothodon

Super Moderator
yes leave the wiring harness disconnected, however i recommend wrapping the end with electrical tape to keep any elements out.

on the bottom of the airbox there is an exit hole that feeds the ais pump. this needs to be capped off. it's on the clutch side.

lyric911

Do you just leave white connector unconnected? Also is ther anything on the air box to cap off?

I see a bigger hose with some mesh heat shielding where does that go and un hook from?

My plates (I'd have to look at the engraving to remember what "brand" they were) came with a rubber cap to put on the airbox. I'm not sure what hose you're referring to, though. There are 3 hoses in play. One to each plate, and the one that goes to the airbox itself.

Last edited: