Aftermarket Turn Signals

AlCab

If I replace my turn signals with aftermarket LED ones, do I also need to buy a relay? If so, why? I would think it would just be a direct replacement. Is it because the LEDs need less current?

Thanks in advance.

Guillaume

If I replace my turn signals with aftermarket LED ones, do I also need to buy a relay? If so, why? I would think it would just be a direct replacement. Is it because the LEDs need less current?

Thanks in advance.
If I understand well, you actually don't need a relay, you need a resistor. Otherwise your turn signals will flash way too fast. Kinda like when one is broken, the other is going like crazy. Tried it, done it and it's because of low current that it does it.

master paper clip

U dont need resistors, u can get a new flasher relay for. 15 dollars or do nothing ur signal rate will just be double no harm, only difference without the new relay u won't know if a lights out without physically looking, resistors gotta cut as splice or the relay is a direct replacement, dealer should have it

ramrod

Thanks. Can you point me to which resistor I need?

Thanks.

Here is one on eBay that some members on the board have purchased: Link

I replaced all my turn signal's with LEDs and although the flash rate is quicker, to me it ins't so fast that it bothersome, personnel preference I suppose.

H

Hoover

Lockhart Phillips sells a relay for cheap. Resistors were the old school way of doing it. LP relay is plug and play. Had mine for 18 months with no bother.