After 380 miles...

Killawatts

So finally the cold weather lets up some, and I'm on the way to the dealership to pick up some gold brake and clutch levers. Cruising along in third gear, when traffic in front of me starts to come to a stop.

I brake, and pull in the clutch to downshift. It doesn't downshift. I come to a stop with it still in third gear, frantically trying to shift up or down or at all. Nothing. So there I am stopped in traffic, people honking at me, and I just give it full gas and ride the clutch to get it moving, and pull in the next parking lot I see.

Well, the clutch is still working at least. So, I take a look, thinking that the vortex rear set that was installed may be causing a problem, maybe the linkage is out of adjustment. Doesn't look like it. I try to rock the bike back and forth, anything at all to get the transmission to work, no luck.

Sooo...called a tow truck, and the rest of the way to the dealership I go, just in the passenger seat of a toyota tacoma, not on the fz8.

The techs looked it over, checked the linkage, and said it has to be something internal. As it's a warranty item, they say they can't do anything til they contact yamaha and see what they want to do.

The only thing that worries me is about two months ago I had a bit of a low-side (hence the upgraded rear set) and it bent up the gear shifter, could this have damaged the transmission? I asked the dealership that when it happened, and they said it was highly unlikely.

So, has anyone had similar problems to this, the bike is still pretty much brand new!

H

Hoover

Unlikely to have damaged the transmission. Did it give any previous signs? Noise, notchy shifting etc?
Be aware that the stealership may try and blame it on your rear-sets. I have heard many horror stories of after market stuff getting blamed for unconnected problems.

Killawatts

wasn't you posting about hard shifting when you joined?

No, least I don't think so. It seemed to be shifting fine up until the point where it wouldn't shift anymore.

Well, the dealership recommended and installed the vortex sets, so I doubt they will try to say anything about that.

W

WARPTH

good luck mate. while they got the motor out tell them to accidently put in a r1 motor...

sovde

YOU PROBABLY BENT THE SHIFT SHAFT ENOUGH TO CAUSE IT TO BIND UP IN THE TRANNY COVER,EITHER THAT OR A SHIFT FORK.

C

Camo

YOU PROBABLY BENT THE SHIFT SHAFT ENOUGH TO CAUSE IT TO BIND UP IN THE TRANNY COVER,EITHER THAT OR A SHIFT FORK.

HELL YEAH! LETS ALL YELL.... I think he heard your post without having to read it :D

H

Hoover

I think that if you had bent the shaft when you dropped it, you would have some kind of oil leakage from the output seal..perhaps?

Killawatts

Dealer just called and said they removed the linkage and reinstalled it, and now it's working fine...:bs2:

Will have more details after I go and get it...

Killawatts

Ok, picked up the bike and just got back from riding/lunch for about 3 hours. Was a blast, so glad I got this thing. Never before have I gotten lost and didn't really care, so much fun.

Anyway, the dealer says they have no idea what happened, all they did was remove the linkage, inspect, and put the linkage back on and it works fine. I think they F'd up the linkage or did something wrong when installing the rear sets, and just didn't want to tell me that they corrected their previous mistake.

What leads me to believe this is that before it even broke down, it shifted a little stiff, took a decent amount of foot effort to get into gear. Now that they supposedly just uninstalled and reinstalled the shift linkage, it shifts smooth as silk, effortless in comparison to before.

So, all in all, was just a $60 incident, all good....for now.

D

Deleted member 438

Glad you're back to enjoying the bike. It could've been a lot worse.

highoctane

Canyon Carver
Glad you got it working with no major damage but really? Charge you for an hour labor? I guess 60 bucks doesn't go far anyways

Sent from my P.O.S

W

WARPTH

Its not the 60 that concerns me. Id understand the chargr if it was something i had done. But in this case it was them either not adjusting properly or some other warranty issue.considering they fitted the rear sets... it would be like servicing someones car or bike. Forgetting to put the sump plug back on amd than charging them for a rebuild on top of the service. Whilst its still under warranty. Not trying to put you down. Its great you have your bike back. Just i would have kicked up a bit of a shit storm over it. Unless it was something you had done...

Last edited by a moderator:

master paper clip

Yea no way I would have payed that without some talking, they installed the rear sets and its obvious that was the problem, no reason u should have had to pay anything... on a side note at least your on the road again enjoying the bike that's what really matters