Advice on riding a naked bike - wind control

Ivy33

I have a question about riding the FZ8 on the highway.

When it comes to highways, what do you do about wind buffeting? Is it something that you get more used to over time? Is there a particular way of sitting that minimizes the wind effects on a bike without a windscreen?

I'm asking because, when I am going about 70 or so around traffic, I get quite a bit of the turbulence in my chest which causes me to hold on to the bars tighter. This means that my grip on the bars makes the handling a little less stable.

My previous bike had a minimal windscreen that kept a lot of the blast off of my chest. Is the wind something that you just get more comfortable with over time? If so then I'll purposely take the highway more so that I can get used to it. I bought a Givi smoked screen but am hesitant to put it on because I want to adapt to the wind dynamics of the bike.

Last edited:

crashinsux

I had that problem as well. I have a Cortech textile jacket that acts like a sail which is kinda odd since it is the smallest jacket that I have. I tried my son's leather jacket and a mesh jacket and they made a huge difference.

Hereward

something you get used to, tightening your grip and stifening your arms actualy adsadurates the issue! first thing to do is relax your arms.....it's that simple. In addition you could try moveing back on your seat a little but essentialy just get out there, relax ( hard to do at first) and then it'll start to become easier.

As a quick confidence test, have you noticed "buffeting" isn't an issue when accelerating hard at speed? It's only when your sitting there with nothing else to think about that the problem seems to get worse, you tense up against the wind which then makes the problem worse, you then tighten your arms and grip in a subconsious issue to steady the bike through the steering.....again this makes it even worse LOL Hold a cup of coffe normaly all is ok......now tense all the muscles in your arm and see how long before your coffe cup starts to shake..........hope this helps.

hypo

coming from a naked cruiser which is even MORE erect in the seat, I got constant abuse from the wind. form fitting leathers cuts down on drag, but I've noticed the turbulence behind trucks is kinda crazy, and here in texas (or any flatland with cross breezes for that matter) those gusts going left to right can really mess with you when you're trying to pass one of those 18 wheelers. Ducking down helps a little bit, tightening your legs helps some also, but collapsing that sail (your chest and arms) is going to help the most or a flyscreen will help too.

Ivy33

Lol! No, I think I may have confused you all.

The wind by itself isn't an issue.

My problem is when I'm on the highway, going 65-70 and up, behind a truck (usually) and get hit with one of those intense bursts of wind coming off the truck. The problem I have is that I get hit with one of those blasts and it pushes me back. Instinctively I grab the bars tighter but that's not good.

I'm wondering, when you are all on the highway, what do you do about those short, intense bursts of wind? Is that something you just get used to over time?

I do have the Givi windscreen but, if I can get used to the wind dynamics more then I want to get comfortable with that first and just use the windscreen if I'm on a highway for long periods to keep from getting too tired.

Ivy33

coming from a naked cruiser which is even MORE erect in the seat, I got constant abuse from the wind. form fitting leathers cuts down on drag, but I've noticed the turbulence behind trucks is kinda crazy, and here in texas (or any flatland with cross breezes for that matter) those gusts going left to right can really mess with you when you're trying to pass one of those 18 wheelers. Ducking down helps a little bit, tightening your legs helps some also, but collapsing that sail (your chest and arms) is going to help the most or a flyscreen will help too.

I was experimenting on the highway yesterday and noticed some of the things you're talking about. Pulling my arms in helped a lot as did ducking down a bit.

I ordered a leather jacket the other day, I don't think it's form-fitting, but I think it will reduce the flapping that textile jackets can be subject to.

My goal over time is to get very comfortable riding on this bike without the windscreen at high speeds. Then, any bike I ride later with a screen will feel very comfortable.

hypo

yeah, my mesh jacket is great in the heat, but it does catch and release the wind and flutter a lot... but I'm not going leather in this 100 degree heat. ;)

Ivy33

I currently ride with a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5. I love it in the heat but I noticed a little of the same thing.

I just ordered a Icon Accelerant Perforated Leather Jacket so I'll see how that does with heat and wind when I get it.

Hereward

Right trucks I'm with ya, 2 things to watch for.....no 3 things, first is the "blast" at the rear, as you enter the turbulent air, second as you get closer your in the trucks turbulent air and you get buffeted, lastly as you over take the truck you get hit with another blast which is the air being deflected of the front of the truck. You know where they are simply avoid them or in the case of overtaking be ready for them so they don't catch you of guard, to a lesser extent you get the same from vans and cars but trucks are the worse.

Naked bikes......part of the fun is that you are not cocooned in an air buble by a huge touring screen, your directly in touch with everything, including the wind, stick your head out the car window at 70 LOL Naked riders and dogs have that love of sticking there head out the window in common LOL Ultimatly the quicker you go (FZ8 140mph+) the more you'll hunch down out of the wind......or simply get blown of the back of your bike only to be found later in a ditch still holding the bars LOL

Put the screen on, it'll cut down on the wind blast on your chest, then take it off if your feeling old school once your used to it, not the otherway round, get confident, get comfortuble and get relaxed....

mano1192

You get used to it, we have had some crazy winds here in Vegas and I barely notice it anymore. When you start to get wigged out just twist the throttle, you will naturally relax your muscles as mucle memory kicks in.

malikona

Put on the windscreen. It is a very high quality screen and mount, looks great on the bike, and makes just enough difference in buffeting (with or without semis) at highway speeds to make riding more enjoyable, ESPECIALLY over long distances, without getting rid of the naked bike feel.

Just look up some pictures of the FZ1 and its' fairing and wind screen; there is SO much more fairing on the front end of that bike, the Givi windscreen alone on the front of the otherwise naked FZ8 is really a tiny amount of bodywork, and it will still look and feel like a naked bike, just won't make you look like you have the shakes when you're riding on the interstate.

Besides I actually think I like the look of the bike better with the smoke Givi on it; the little stock plastic molding above the headlight just looks cheap to me, I think the Givi adds a touch of class and finish. Try it at least.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Wind screen is only good for minimizing push on chest from headwinds or high speed , crosswinds and turbulant wind will push you side to side ,regardless if you are useing a screen. The screen is good for longer rides as it keeps the push on your chest to a minimum.

C

Camo

If you're going to ride a naked, embrace it.
There will never be anywhere you can hide to avoid it but with time you'll get the hang of drafting different vehicles and what sort of turbulence to expect when overtaking them.
As mentioned above, tighten your legs around the tank and relax your arms/hands, chin down and look far ahead..... Or just do your best to avoid freeways and stick to the twisty long way ;)

Wieb27

I do 75-80mph every day to and from work for about a 1/2 hour each way. If the wind bothers you, ride in a car in my opinion. That or get a big bagger. I mean really, it's a naked bike....what did you expect?

Just loosen up and relax on the bike....you'll be fine.

Last edited: