ACF 50 - Anti Corrosion Spray

DSmith

So if your like me and you live in a part of the country that uses salt on its roads, thats really the scariest thing for your beloved fz8. I just ordered 32oz of this spray. Supposedly its sprayed on airplanes that spend most of their time on aircraft carriers pummeled with sea salt. Ive heard of a few guys spraying this on their motorcycles and having great results. Living in New England, any edge i can give to my bike to fight this evil salt brine the better. Any of you guys use an anti corrosion spray or something to combat salt? Any opinions on this stuff?
ACF-50 ANTI-CORROSION BLOCK COMPOUND from Aircraft Spruce

DanS

Commuter
So if your like me and you live in a part of the country that uses salt on its roads, thats really the scariest thing for your beloved fz8. I just ordered 32oz of this spray. Supposedly its sprayed on airplanes that spend most of their time on aircraft carriers pummeled with sea salt. Ive heard of a few guys spraying this on their motorcycles and having great results. Living in New England, any edge i can give to my bike to fight this evil salt brine the better. Any of you guys use an anti corrosion spray or something to combat salt? Any opinions on this stuff?
ACF-50 ANTI-CORROSION BLOCK COMPOUND from Aircraft Spruce
Hey Mr Smith, I hate to be a downer...
I'm not familiar with this exact product but we use and have used several similar corrosion inhibitors on our airplanes and they're great. Gallons of the stuff on a 737 ;) ... But... I really don't know where you would use it on a bike :idk:. Maybe good on electrical connectors and inside of the frame . These products are used on internal structures that only have a primer finish (stringers, webs, bulkheads, spars, inner skins, etc.) Never used on exterior surfaces or high heat areas. Some of these products dry hard and some are non drying. Reading the overview on the ACF 50 would suggest that this is non drying, so it'll be a dirt magnet. All of the corrosion inhibitors that I've used are tinted, our current stuff "corban 35" is pink for easy inspection.
Be careful not to spray it on the engine, exhaust, inner fork cylinders, rotors or decorative finishes.
:2cents:
ACF-50 System Preparation - YouTube
Keep it clean and well lubed :cool:

toothycardus

I've always used scottoiler fs365, I spray it on everything except the brakes.

i use it on the engine and exhaust headers and pipes never had an issue in the 3+ years in using it, it does leave a oily smear on paint work so i don't spray it on that.

DSmith

Straight from their website it states its uses on motorcycles. Directly on the motor, exhaust, electronics, plastic.. Pretty much anything except tyres and brakes. I have no doubt in my mind that the bike will be pretty gunky after spraying this stuff and going for a ride (especially a wet one). But your supposed to be able to hose off dirt and salt with the chemical still bonding to whatever you sprayed it on. I'd rather have a dirty looking bike on the outside as long as it still remains protected underneath. Might not be a cure-all for corrosion but any little bit helps in my eyes.

ACF-50 Motorcycle Application
http://www.acf-50.co.uk/acrobat/ACF-50 MOTORBIKES .pdf

Motorcycle-USA Article
ACF 50 Corrosion Preventative Review - Motorcycle USA

When it comes in I'll definetly post a review on my experience with it.

Last edited:

DSmith

So i got my bottle of ACF-50. I got the 32oz bottle. It came with a small spray bottle as well. I opted for the spray bottle vs the aerosol can cause it was a little more bang for your buck. So i sprayed the stuff on my motor, swing arm, frame, forks and headers, and worked it around with a microfiber. A little goes a long way with this stuff. I probly only used 4-5 oz's. I didnt do my plastics or paint. But i might go back and do the bolts that the plastics are attached with.

I fired the bike up and let all the oil burn off the headers. Smokey for about 5-10 minutes (stuffs supposed to bake on and still protect headers.) I took her out the next day for about 2 hours. There's still salt everywhere around here, and she was coated with white. Came home, let her cool down, washed her off with just water (soap will remove the ACF-50.)

So far I'm impressed with the stuff. I know after 2 days nothing can be said for corrosion protection, but you can tell the products still on there. All the salt came off with no soap or scrubbing. Pretty happy with the stuff so far. I'll let ya's know how it holds up.

Last edited: