ABS brake retrofit?

pae58

Hard work. You'll need ABS unit, front an rear wheel, front and rear sensors, harness, replace nearly all brake lines, a new dashboard, ABS software for central unit. Hope that's all.

Axel

Darksabre

That's what I figured... That's a ton of parts to swap over. Only chance would be to find a wrecked one that had abs. That's the only thing I dont like about my FZ8... Street bikes in 2013 should come with ABS standard I say.

b-eock

Or the rider should have the skill and knowledge to keep it from locking. I don't like "helpers" such as TC or ABS. It should be an option for those that want it, but not standard. Just like automatic and standard transmissions. I hate automatic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

pae58

Or the rider should have the skill and knowledge to keep it from locking ...

I don't know how good the streets in the USA are, but here in Germany we have often dirt, dust, leaves, etc. on it. If you have to brake on such a surface skill and knockledge are not enough ...

In Germany less than 5 percent of all new bikes are non-ABS ...

Axel

funnelli

My fazer 8 is my first abs equipped bike and I have to say prior to this I was also anti abs etc,.
And now I think it's bloody good! Really enjoy winding the brakes on now and find it just adds to the fun factor, don't knock it, the system works really well.

npeifer2308

I've heard this debate so many times and I'm kind of neutral on it. I like having complete control over my bike but I know there are times when ABS could save my life. I'm sure 10-15 yrs from now it will be almost impossible to buy a new bike that doesn't come standard with ABS.

alexk

Weekend Rider
I'm definitely a purist when it comes to my vehicles. Get as little between me and the road as possible - when I'm driving or riding, I want to be driving/riding the ROAD not the vehicle.

That said, after over 100 hours of track time in various cars, I can tell you that I'm only better than the traction control or the ABS when I'm anticipating their need. When something unexpected happens and I'm forced to react, the traction control and ABS are worlds better than I am.

I'd gladly pay a grand to retrofit good ABS on my '13 fz8. Emergency stops are exactly what I want it for - I can't control the friction levels of the road in front of me, and a good ABS will be able to deal with that for me.

Darksabre

Or the rider should have the skill and knowledge to keep it from locking. I don't like "helpers" such as TC or ABS. It should be an option for those that want it, but not standard. Just like automatic and standard transmissions. I hate automatic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yeah totally, that's fine if you make it long enough to get that skill/knowledge. I mean, how many times a day am I going to be able to practice emergency braking to the point where I'll be ready and good at it in a real emergency? I just ride my bike 4 miles back and forth to work every day, and that's pretty much it.

I don't think they should impose it on people that don't want it, but i think it should be at least available to turn on/off on all "consumer?" bikes. Crazy super-sports, probably not.

Darksabre

I'm definitely a purist when it comes to my vehicles. Get as little between me and the road as possible - when I'm driving or riding, I want to be driving/riding the ROAD not the vehicle.

That said, after over 100 hours of track time in various cars, I can tell you that I'm only better than the traction control or the ABS when I'm anticipating their need. When something unexpected happens and I'm forced to react, the traction control and ABS are worlds better than I am.

I'd gladly pay a grand to retrofit good ABS on my '13 fz8. Emergency stops are exactly what I want it for - I can't control the friction levels of the road in front of me, and a good ABS will be able to deal with that for me.

Exactly this...I don't know if I'd ever be good enough to get out of trouble "manually" every time it pops up unexpectedly. Have it as an option to disable for "track time" or other risky (i guess I should say riskier, since riding in general is a risk) spirited riding if you want, but for every day, I'd love for it to be there if an emergency pops up.

pae58

Maybe some day the computer will ride for us, can't wait for that day.

Buy a BMW HP4. ABS (now working also in curves), traction control, electronic controlled damping, 5 engine modes, cruise control.

Sometimes i love it all, sometimes i take my Fazer :)

Axel

Darksabre

Buy a BMW HP4. ABS (now working also in curves), traction control, electronic controlled damping, 5 engine modes, cruise control.

Sometimes i love it all, sometimes i take my Fazer :)

Axel

If I could get that for the same price, there'd be no contest for me. Unfortunately, there's no way I could ever spend that $$ for a motorcycle.

pae58

If I could get that for the same price, there'd be no contest for me. Unfortunately, there's no way I could ever spend that $$ for a motorcycle.

Never say never. When I'm young there was no way to spend more than 2000 $ for a motorcycle :mad:. But in the age of 56 :cool: ...

Axel