a little lesson

dart1963

Super Moderator
in chain maintenance....

threw a couple guys off on the sister site.... was doing my Summer maintenance on the bike, including my chain (which has just shy of 30K miles on it)... as soon as I saw this, I knew I was done until my new chain comes in...

do you see what I saw??? and no Jay, you cannot jump on this one!!!! lol

cpatt

is it a little pitted? maybe i need my magnifine glass and a 60" led 1080p tv and ill see somthing.... looks fine to me id run it.

JSP

Administrator
I dont think I would have ever noticed on my own chain. Luckily dart has a good eye! Will definitely watch for this from now on myself.

Nope, not the pitting. The chain could snap at any moment.

JSP

Administrator
soo the divit on the left one by the pin? what is it?

No... ;)

Ok, I wanna answer now dart! Since it is a safety concern and all. And cpatt will come through the computer if he does not get the answer! haha

Look at the spacing. The pin is massively worn. You can see where it used to be... Not much left of it, if it is that far wore down to cause that kind of spacing.

cambo

Avid Rider
you can see it even without viewing the image full size

haha, I definitely don't see it. What's wrong with it? EDUCATE ME!

EDIT: Somehow I didn't see Jay's explanation before I posted this. DOH! Ignore this comment...

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
it's bad... don't ever let your chain go this long.... but it could happen to a fairly new chain as well, manufacture defect, sand/grime causing the issue, etc. just one more tip of something to look closely at when doing your chain maintenance

yep, it's a safety concern for sure....

and yep... great explanation Jay

JSP

Administrator
it's bad... don't ever let your chain go this long.... but it could happen to a fairly new chain as well, manufacture defect, sand/grime causing the issue, etc. just one more tip of something to look closely at when doing your chain maintenance

yep, it's a safety concern for sure....

and yep... great explanation Jay

How long will you be down? I know you were on the group buy for chain and sprockets, but wasnt there a delay or something for a sprocket?

dart1963

Super Moderator
How long will you be down? I know you were on the group buy for chain and sprockets, but wasnt there a delay or something for a sprocket?

yep, delay on stock sprockets.

I'm thinking end of this month/possibly beginning of next. which isn't too bad, as I need tires as well and money is tight, so I get to split the chain buy with the tire buy across paychecks... it will just make my Summer riding all that much more enjoyable...

DanS

Commuter
haha, I definitely don't see it. What's wrong with it? EDUCATE ME!

EDIT: Somehow I didn't see Jay's explanation before I posted this. DOH! Ignore this comment...
If you were to remove the pin it would look something like this