95kg springs and Race Tech valve

I just tried out my new spings and Race Tech gold valve. Wow, what a differance. I also set the rear shock at 10 and it is a whole new bike.
I went on a two hundred mile ride up my favorite canyon then up to Angeles Crest hwy. I ate at Newconbs ranch and listened to these two guys talk about how fast they were. So we left together, they both rode R1s and I was on my FZ8. It took about a mile before I couldn't see them any more. I slowed down twice to wate for them and then just left them in the dust. This thing is now awsome. Next week my new Pense 8900E
will show up. After I install it I will let you know how it is. After riding an R1 for the last few years I was kinda dissapointed with the handelling. Not any more this thing boogies. All together after the shock I will be in it for
1,000.00. But if you don't have that kind of doe the springs and valve were only 300.00. Spend the mony and adjust the rear shock and you wont be dissapointed! My kid is making me say happy birthday smilely.:bday:

TeleRob

Cool. How much do you weigh? Did you send the forks off or do it yourself? I got a couple 1kg in a box ready to go in but was wondering if I should also get the gold valve. I haven't done it before but I'm A DIY guy and have been studying up at the University of YouTube and Forum.

C

calscrazy

now i am wondering if i should just re-valve or go fz1 forks:hbwall:

beefcake morris

Nice info! Anymore that you want to share please do.

This is my next upgrade after I get done installing the R1 shock upgrade (need to find time) I was going to try and find a set of FZ1 forks and just swap the internals, but this sounds like the better option for me. Besides finding the FZ1 shocks has not been easy.

Springs and valve

I weigh 215lbs so I was having issues with front end dive under hard breaking. Also I was dragging the pegs quite a bit. Both those issues seem to be fixed. I did have the valve installed at my local dealership
because once I opened the box I found that you have to contact the manufactuer and they calculate what setting you need to ajust the valve to. It seemed complicated and my freind works at the dealership so I just paid them to do it. Total with fork oil and all it was $140.00. If you want to save some money what my freind tells me that the stock valve is a good quality part and changing the springs would have helped alot. That I would have done myself. True the set up is still not adjustible without adding shims to the internals, but it has to be easyer than rigging FZ1 forks. I would have liked to do that but I didn't want to spend the money on a bike that only cost $7,000,00. Thats just me
if you have the access to the FZ1 forks go for it!

Last edited:

TeleRob

Knight hawk,
Totally appreciate the info on the valve!! I'll stick with my 1kg springs for now. (I weigh in @ 225).

millarjk

i way 250lbs and would like to know what i need to order to do this job and where to order from,thanks jeff , also i have been trying to get info for a steering damper for the wonderful california roads but have not had much like. i emailed GPR and SCOTT and they told me they dont make one for this bike,any help would be much appreciated,thanks again to all the forum members for there help.

TeleRob

D

DJK1505

It looks like the springs are good for my weight, but the valve and oil will be all I need to change. Less than 200 bucks, I wonder how much this will improve the front end. Hmmmm, looks like another mod coming up in the very near future!

Thanks for the info!!!!

DJ

Jwood9

Just a couple quick questions if anyone can assist me.
First can you replace the springs lone without valves?
Will you be changing oil also?
And will ohlins springs work with the race tech valve?

ryan4681

Hey

I know this thread is old but here's what I did and think about it. Hopefully it will help someone make a decision. Got in new springs (racetech .90kg, I weigh 150lbs), kept the 5wt oil and kept the same valve. Overall cost was $344 with labor and new fork seals/oil. I also turned the rear shock to '10'.
It makes a noticeable difference, especially when aggressively taking the twisty roads. The bike sits up higher, allowing more 'lean in' and doesn't get soggy under hard acceleration coming out of corners. It's more responsive to small adjustments you make while in a corner as well (I'm talking small or subtle changes, like avoiding a gravel spot or wet leaves, not emergency moves). Before I would get nervous having to change course mid-turn but now it's better for sure. My confidence in turning is definitely higher now. Riding on straight roads is just a touch harsher but you only really notice it with bigger bumps in the road. Braking response is improved and straight line acceleration seems crisper.

It's still not as nice as an adjustable set up but it's a good compromise for the cost.

Vampwood

Hey

I know this thread is old but here's what I did and think about it. Hopefully it will help someone make a decision. Got in new springs (racetech .90kg, I weigh 150lbs), kept the 5wt oil and kept the same valve. Overall cost was $344 with labor and new fork seals/oil. I also turned the rear shock to '10'.
It makes a noticeable difference, especially when aggressively taking the twisty roads. The bike sits up higher, allowing more 'lean in' and doesn't get soggy under hard acceleration coming out of corners. It's more responsive to small adjustments you make while in a corner as well (I'm talking small or subtle changes, like avoiding a gravel spot or wet leaves, not emergency moves). Before I would get nervous having to change course mid-turn but now it's better for sure. My confidence in turning is definitely higher now. Riding on straight roads is just a touch harsher but you only really notice it with bigger bumps in the road. Braking response is improved and straight line acceleration seems crisper.

It's still not as nice as an adjustable set up but it's a good compromise for the cost.

Actually did the same setup but with springs sprung for my weight, immediate improvement, can't recommend this enough if you just want a noticeable upgrade on the cheapish side. Next step is full ohlins or possibly hyper street box

Teslank

i began with fz1 fork internals, boy did it make a good change!, after that i received my personalised rear elka stage 5 shock, BOY the bike was a new bike!, and finally changed the front springs this summer, and again... wow! so cool(with 10W oil)

i still need to finalize the tuning of the suspension

thats when you know that the OEM suspension is JUNK, ****IN JUNK! lol