600 Mile Service

Killawatts

Just curious, I purchased the free maint. and servicing through the dealer, and was wondering what oil/filters they use when doing the oil change? I didn't get an extended warranty, so it seems they have an incentive to put the cheapest crap in possible...

master paper clip

Just curious, I purchased the free maint. and servicing through the dealer, and was wondering what oil/filters they use when doing the oil change? I didn't get an extended warranty, so it seems they have an incentive to put the cheapest crap in possible...

They use genuine Yamaha parts, I haven't really seen a bike come from a dealer oil change without the OE filter, guess u asked for another brand, but u change the filter with the oil so no particular brand will be better then another, if available I would say get a wix filter, there a really good brand and there cheap also... plus its a dealer, they don't usually carry off brand stuff, generally just OE stuff, from the brands they sell and some more expensive options

H

Hoover

They will use Yamalube but not the synthetic.
I changed to full synthetic at 1000 miles, but that was also my third oil change.
Full synth will help your bike shift more smoothly and is a much better oil. It is more expensive but you really only need to change it every 5K instead of 3.
The Yammy filter is fine also.

A word of caution, the dealer will always try to "upsell" so be cautious. I have not heard of any body "needing" extra work done. These bikes are riduculously reliable.

Mitchelldietz

My dealer has yamalube but they push Amsoil like crazy. But that's after your first few changes

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

krillz

I use Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 with the Fram Filter. IMO this is fantastic oil. Easy to get at the auto parts store. $12 a quart but worth it to me. Amsoil is great stuff too, I use there 2 stroke oil.

F

Fazed

Just curious, I purchased the free maint.

It may be a misunderstanding on my part but to me purchasing means forking out money to get a good or service. I hope you didnt pay for a free service and that you meant you purchased the bike and it came with a free service..

Last edited by a moderator:

SeñorJack

El Guapo
My dealership was cool, they used what was cheapest. I think it was actually honda stuff.

They went to use full synthetic but then the tech called e and said yamaha recomends a partial synthetic until at least 1000 miles to prevent glazing so thats what I went with.

Shifting is signifigantly improved so I can only imagine that full sythetic is onna be awesome. I will probably switch between at about 3k

JSP

Administrator
I use Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 with the Fram Filter. IMO this is fantastic oil. Easy to get at the auto parts store. $12 a quart but worth it to me. Amsoil is great stuff too, I use there 2 stroke oil.

Fantastic oil paired with one of the worst filters there is.... ;)

krillz

Fantastic oil paired with one of the worst filters there is.... ;)

The Fram Motorcycle Filter is bad why? Has its failed you? Whats the reason? I have never had an issue. Really though. I dont wont crap on my bike so if there is a real reason , do tell. Try to find the Mobile Filter on the shelf is hard to do.

master paper clip

The Fram Motorcycle Filter is bad why? Has its failed you? Whats the reason? I have never had an issue. Really though. I dont wont crap on my bike so if there is a real reason , do tell. Try to find the Mobile Filter on the shelf is hard to do.

Fram filters are bad in the matter that there one of the only oil filters that use paper end caps inside the filter, everyone else uses metal end caps, paper are bad cause they rip and tear and let junk pass threw the filter if u get a defective one, best cheap brand I know is wix filters, there cheap on your wallet and have a proven reliability history with racing teams

krillz

Fram filters are bad in the matter that there one of the only oil filters that use paper end caps inside the filter, everyone else uses metal end caps, paper are bad cause they rip and tear and let junk pass threw the filter if u get a defective one, best cheap brand I know is wix filters, there cheap on your wallet and have a proven reliability history with racing teams

I will indeed check that out, I dont want a crappy filter.

Killawatts

It may be a misunderstanding on my part but to me purchasing means forking out money to get a good or service. I hope you didnt pay for a free service and that you meant you purchased the bike and it came with a free service..

I mean it as in I paid $1800 to have free oil changes, filters, etc. (anything thats part of the manuals maintenance schedule) for 3 years/36000 miles.

BIGpanda

holy shat!? 1800$ FOR THAT?!?!?!?!?!

Even if you put 15k on a year with good synthetic oil, like rotella full syn you would only spend 270$ in oil and a purolator filter if you do it yourself for 3 years. 1800$ is nuts. That's ridiculous even.

Last edited:

BIGpanda

I still haven't gotten over that.

1800$ is 60 oil changes for me lol!!!! Even if I did my oil changes every 3 thousand miles I would have 180k miles on my bike before I paid for that extra 1800$ hahahaha WTF!

AlCab

I still haven't gotten over that.

1800$ is 60 oil changes for me lol!!!! Even if I did my oil changes every 3 thousand miles I would have 180k miles on my bike before I paid for that extra 1800$ hahahaha WTF!

It's more than just oil changes, it also includes the regular maintenace as spelled out in the manual. Even still, that seems like highway robbery.

H

Hoover

It's more than just oil changes, it also includes the regular maintenace as spelled out in the manual. Even still, that seems like highway robbery.

It may be highway robbery, but it is something that happens all the time. Sales people are trained to upsell any time. They get commision on every dime they make. In this case, someone had a steak dinner.

I crunched some numbers myself on this one.
My oil changes cost me around $30 each time I do them, and take about 20 mins of my time. Running full synthetic, I go 5000 miles between changes, especially as I changed it 3 times before 1000.
$1800 would yield 60 oil changes and at 5000 miles between would mean all my oil changes would be covered to 300,000 miles.
Now obviously, I'm not going to get to 300,000 miles. Not in 3 years....or ever.
So, that being said, even in Arizona, where you could easily put 12,000 miles on in a year, that would still only cost you $240 over a 3 year period.
That leaves $1560 left over for all the other routine maintenance over 36,000 miles.
According top Yamaha, that means:
new plugs every 8000 miles(overkill)
1 valve adjustment at 26000
1 air filter every 24000
Steering bearings repacked 3 times(overkill)
1 cooling system flush (probably a good idea in Arizona)

I am not putting this up as a bash, but more of a warning of how inexperienced buyers get screwed by greedy dealers and sales people.

It's a dog eat dog world out there folks...Do your research and be aware.

master paper clip

It may be highway robbery, but it is something that happens all the time. Sales people are trained to upsell any time. They get commision on every dime they make. In this case, someone had a steak dinner.

I crunched some numbers myself on this one.
My oil changes cost me around $30 each time I do them, and take about 20 mins of my time. Running full synthetic, I go 5000 miles between changes, especially as I changed it 3 times before 1000.
$1800 would yield 60 oil changes and at 5000 miles between would mean all my oil changes would be covered to 300,000 miles.
Now obviously, I'm not going to get to 300,000 miles. Not in 3 years....or ever.
So, that being said, even in Arizona, where you could easily put 12,000 miles on in a year, that would still only cost you $240 over a 3 year period.
That leaves $1560 left over for all the other routine maintenance over 36,000 miles.
According top Yamaha, that means:
new plugs every 8000 miles(overkill)
1 valve adjustment at 26000
1 air filter every 24000
Steering bearings repacked 3 times(overkill)
1 cooling system flush (probably a good idea in Arizona)

I am not putting this up as a bash, but more of a warning of how inexperienced buyers get screwed by greedy dealers and sales people.

It's a dog eat dog world out there folks...Do your research and be aware.

You do a full synthetic oil change for 30$.... what brands are you using, that's like half of what I usually pay